Thread: New Owner With Many Questions

Default New Owner With Many Questions

Hi! I have recently got 3 FBTs and I love them to death. I got Boogey and Vader a little over 2 months ago and just got a new addition to my Fire belly Family today (That's the name of their tank, the "Fire Belly Family").

1) I know for certain that Boogey is a male, he mounts Vader and 'Barks' all the time. I don'r, however, kknow about Vader and No Name (the new FBT). I have never heard or seen Vader 'bark' but he does do the unmounting sound when Boogey mounts him, a low warble sound with vibrations. No Name, I have never heard bark either, but does the same unmounting sound as Vader. I don't know if this is enough info but I really want to know if I have a female. I really want a female.

2) Since I just got a new frog (and the last one for now since I only have a 10 gallon) I want to create an island in the center of the tank and have water around it. Can i use a filter for the water around it? I really hope it is safe to use. If it is, I am worried that my frogs will get inside of it or climb up it.

3) Boogey and No Name, like to climb to the very top of the tank and hang out in the corners, is this weird? Is there something wrong with my water? Should I have more plants in there? I am also worried that these same trouble=makers would be the ones to get stuck in the filter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New Owner With Many Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jnicoles428 View Post
    Hi! I have recently got 3 FBTs and I love them to death. I got Boogey and Vader a little over 2 months ago and just got a new addition to my Fire belly Family today (That's the name of their tank, the "Fire Belly Family").

1) I know for certain that Boogey is a male, he mounts Vader and 'Barks' all the time. I don'r, however, kknow about Vader and No Name (the new FBT). I have never heard or seen Vader 'bark' but he does do the unmounting sound when Boogey mounts him, a low warble sound with vibrations. No Name, I have never heard bark either, but does the same unmounting sound as Vader. I don't know if this is enough info but I really want to know if I have a female. I really want a female.

2) Since I just got a new frog (and the last one for now since I only have a 10 gallon) I want to create an island in the center of the tank and have water around it. Can i use a filter for the water around it? I really hope it is safe to use. If it is, I am worried that my frogs will get inside of it or climb up it.

3) Boogey and No Name, like to climb to the very top of the tank and hang out in the corners, is this weird? Is there something wrong with my water? Should I have more plants in there? I am also worried that these same trouble=makers would be the ones to get stuck in the filter.

Welcome to FBT's. With proper care they can live a long life and are great entertainment. Here is some info that may help you sex your frogs.

http://animals.mom.me/distinguish-ma...toad-4174.html

Nuptiial Pads
    The most definite physical difference between the sexes is found on the forearms. These are the nuptial pads - thick black pads on the male’s forefeet that allow him to get a better grip of the female. Because the toads only need the pads for a short time, they only appear during the breeding season.

Other Physical Characteristics
    Outside the breeding season, several other clues hint at gender, although none is as certain as the nuptial pads. Males have slightly better developed forelimbs than the females, more webbing on the hind feet, more knobby backs and somewhat slimmer physiques -- females tend to look chubbier.

Behavior
    Only the males vocalize. If you notice a fire-bellied toad calling, which sounds like a croaky sort of bark, he is definitely a male. During the breeding season, another aspect of this toad’s behavior pretty quickly sorts males from females. If one of the toads clasps another, he’s a male. The toad he’s clasping may or may not be a female -- generally, if he is not shoved off rapidly, the object of his affection most likely is a female.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Default Re: New Owner With Many Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jnicoles428 View Post

Yes you can use a filter but make sure they can't climb into it and get stuck. A sponge filter or a small turtle filter inside a fake rock or waterfall will probably work for you. Just remember to clean the filter regularly with dechlored water to maintain water quality. Small waterfalls agitate the water and help keep it from getting stagnant. You will need to siphon out dirt if you use it and poops that the filter doesn't get depending on your substrate.

2) You might try a turtle rock with a filter inside it so they cant get in. They will like the basking area on top. They make some neat smaller waterfalls too that will help agitate the water and keep it from getting stagnant. A sponge filter may also be a good idea for you. Just make sure you give them some areas to hide and some hearty live plants. If you use fake plants make sure no sharp pointy edges. Silk plants are usually ok but not the hard plastic ones. Avoid bark pieces, loose spagnum moss and small gravel due to impaction risk.

3) Pictures say a thousand words. Can you send one of your setup? They are probably just looking for a way out. Are you using tap water and how often do you change it? What kind of lights are you using? Screen top or glass? Do you have a temperature and humidity gauge? They are fabulous escape artists and will climb the glass corners and squeeze through small gaps so be careful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thread Information