Thread: Springtail question?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Springtail question?

Hello everyone, have a couple quick questions to ask and hopeing someone can help me out. So today I bought a culture of springtails for my firebelly toad tank and this is my first time using these in a tank. My first question is I don't plan to add them till tomorrow because I have few things to do in the tank before hand so im wondering were the best place to store them till tomorrow would be, I don't want to kill them. Now my next question is the culture is in a container with abunch of wood chips and stuff, almost looks like dirt and mulch. The guy at the store said to just dump it in but I don't want the frogs to ingest any of the small pieces if debris, and by the looks of it there is some small wood slivers that are bound to be ingested. I took about half of the tub and just dumped it in one corner to see if the springtails would venture off into the tank but a majority of them stayed in the pile. Is there something I could put in another container to draw them out of the one they are in so I don't have to dump all these shavings in then have to try and get it all out. The half a container I put in the corner I have took out because the firebellies were all over it and I didn't want to take a chance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Springtail question?

Suggestion.
    Flood the culture, springtails will float. Then either collect them with a spoon or just dump that water into where you need it to be. You won't be able to transfer all springs, but you shouldn't. Keep it as a master culture, this way you have constant supply of springs. It's hard to kill them, I'm assuming they are in a deli cup, right? Then if you open a lid like every 2-3 days and feed them ( yeast, special mix) they will be alive and multiplying like there's no tomorrow
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Springtail question?

Thank you Lija, I knew there had to be a way. And I think he may have mentioned something about flooding but that's the only word I heard out of the sentence, because my kids were not behaving at all while I was trying to talk so I just wanted to get out of there. L.O.L And ya its a plastic container about the same height as a deli cup and probably 2 deli cups wide. Thanks again.

Thread Information