Thread: American Toad Behavior & Poison Ivy Questions

Default American Toad Behavior & Poison Ivy Questions

So, I have two American Toads, Phobos (the larger one) and Demos (the smaller one). When I got them, they were the same size but Phobos's growth has taken off, and I started having to separate them during feeding as she would take all the food from Demos. They are both relatively small juveniles. I know that they will sometimes puff up to seem larger if startled or scared, but this was a little different, I think. Anyway, Phobos was just sitting on a rock, and Demos walked up to her (they were both facing each other, so I don't think Phobos was startled) and Phobos stood all the way up on her legs (which I have never seen them do before) and inflated herself. Seemingly in response, Demos stopped moving and slowly backed away, and then turned and ran/hopped off. Would this be considered aggression? It has happened twice now, that I am aware of. If it is aggression, is there anything I can do to prevent it from stressing them out?

(They are in a 10gal with plenty of hides, and I plan on upgrading them into the 15gal my hermit crab is currently in once I get the crab an even larger home.)

Second question, involving poison ivy/ similar poisonous plants that cause rashes:

I recently got poison ivy on my leg, and it has since spread to my arm and hands... I have not handled the toads (Or my gray tree frog) since it spread to my hands, and I was wondering if I should be worried about them getting a reaction from contact with it, since I have to separate them at feedings... I will probably wear gloves just to be safe, anyway.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: American Toad Behavior & Poison Ivy Questions

She is just warning him is all, to go away, dont worry its natural. If they live in the same enclosure they will run into each other sometimes but the more plants and such you got in there the less it should happen.

Default Re: American Toad Behavior & Poison Ivy Questions

Alright, thanks for the reply

Thread Information