Thread: How are the frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default How are the frogs?

How is everyones' frogs doing? It gets a bit slow here during the summer, so it would be great to get some updates.

My reds are doing great, all 4 of them! I am working on their bigger viv (upgrading from an 18x18x24 to a 24x18x24) but it is slow going. I spend too much time outside and very little time on my inside projects. I am considering starting a breeding project with the reds once that is complete and I have the other viv open.

For the greys, I lost Silvermist a few months ago. He had been declining due to age for several months, so I made the decision to put the poor old man down Paddy, Atlas, and Willow are all doing great though. They are loving the warmer weather and have been eating machines as a result!

The aurats, I lost one while on vacation back in July. He seemed to be doing perfectly well, when I came home he was gone. I think he was stunted from the poor care he received at the pet store before coming home with me as a little rescue. He was in an 8x8x12 tank in the pet store with a screen top and poor diet for quite some time before I took him home. He was about 3 months older but much smaller than the ones I purchased after him. The other 2 aurats were just fine over vacation and I think have reached their full size now. They are quite beautiful!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How are the frogs?

Mine are doing nicely in our tiny house. To update everything, the mite treatment is working on my fence lizard, the patches are clearing up, and he knows that I'm helping him, so not much protest anymore

5. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Mine are doing good but I had to bring my baby Ornate into the vet on Friday for his eye. He kept blinking it when he was trying to sleep and it kept shutting more then its supposed to. I cleaned out with some distilled and it went back to normal and he stopped blinking but when I checked on him later it was the same, so being a eye I didn't want to play around and brought him to the vet. So she checked everything and there was no real signs of infection but to be on the safe side she sent me home with some Ciloxan 0.3% for a bacteria infection just incase it was the start of something and I caught it early. Was told to apply for 7 days 2xs a day and it hasn't happened since. There was no cloudy eye, no pink or red under the eyelids top or bottom, no discharge and she did a flush with some distilled water and looked under a big magnifying glass and there was no signs of trauma or scratches on or around the eye. And last she looked in his mouth under his eye because when a frog blinks while swallowing he is using the eyeballs to help push the food item down, so wanted to make sure nothing was pokeing the eye from the inside and there was nothing. Besides that he is doing great, hes doubled in size the last month and this guy eats like a champ. Ate from the tongs the first night home when I got him and even ate the other night after that whole ordeal at the vet and a car ride.
    My 8 month old albino Cranwelli Groot needs a new name because he is 100% a she. She is 4 1/2 inches and is as cranky as ever. This frog has a serious attitude problem.
    And last but not least the fire belly crew Larry, Curly, Moe and Chubs are doing great. Hope everyone has had a great summer!!

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

my ridiculous amount of mouths to feed are chugging right along. i've had losses here and there, including my first pumi froglet, but things happen. the leucs are happy in their new home, and others are starting to get mods and upgrades on their homes.

and haven't you been working on that red eye tank for like, a year? LOL
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

9. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Xavier, I'm glad to hear the mites are clearing up. I've heard they are no good when it comes to reptiles

Cory, great job taking care of that eye! I'm glad he's doing better! I have had a few boys with girly frog names (Fortuna, Silvermist, and Willow) because I didn't sex them properly, it happens

Bill - Well, yes...but in my defense... the first one arrived shattered, the second one arrived with a broken door, and so the third one I've only had for about 5 or 6 months. Then I was stumped on what to do with it, now I have ideas and it's too nice out to sit inside and do that. I did get the background all cut and placed but am still debating between a cycled false bottom water area (less water changes ) or just a daily cleaned water bowl. I have to get it finished though because I need to order plants before we're midwinter again. Sorry you lost the little pumi I've had to come to acceptance that some things happen, especially when you're dealing with an animal that reproduces in mass amounts for a reason.

11. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

My guys are doing great! Freddy and Miss Piggy are my PCFs and they are fat sassy and happy! For WC frogs they have had no issues! Betty is my Whites and she is good I think...still learning about these guys but she seems happy!

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Doing good here as well!
    Currently have 9 ACF - 3 wildtype/natural pigmented, 1 albino and 5 reticulated albinos. Got them as juvies in the spring and they are growing wonderfully! Seem to have mostly males. It is always a roll of the dice with the young ones
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine are doing great. I cut back on my clawed frogs recently so I could focus on school. I did purchase some X. muelleri to add to my collection and they should be here any minute (waiting on UPS as we speak!)

I acquired a tree frog a few days ago, thanks to my cat. He brought her in and dropped her in my lap. She has a small laceration that is healing nicely. Once she's healed, I plan on releasing her again. This is the first time in years that I have caught my cats with a frog. They tend to stay away from frogs since we have about 50 toads around my house and all my cats have all come foaming at the mouth before. I guess they are learning to tell the difference.

15. This member thanks celticstarb for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I like this thread: hearing about people's frogs.

My white's are doing well, both the adventurous little one and the big one who sits around all the time and tries to eat my hand at every opportunity.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Oh boy, where to start. Well, the whites are getting big fast. Moe(silver) is a mouthy little snot lmao. He yells at pretty much everything that moves. He's about 2inches. Larry we think is either a female, or shy. Only made a few peeps once when we first got them. About 2.5in. Kinda plump. Then theres shemp... dear god. Female, 3in, fat... very social. Always goes to the wife.

The red eyes. Herman is still neon highlighter green. Very vocal and hyper turned into tank alpha. Granpa the dark green one, developed the most beautiful diagnal rows of white spots. Lilly the female, is kind of a lazy pants. She hides sometimes, shes all over at others. I think its because herman is a lunatic lol.

Bigweld the pacman turned out to be a female. Things fat as can be. I think it may be the devil as well. Little pudgeball loves fingers. Funny but, no not funny...

The firebellies still sound like a chorus of tiny monkies. The planted viv is coming up on 3 years soon. Hooray there. Managed to also get a tiger lilly to grow in there.

The bps are good, also uhhhhh, pleasantly plump. My big guys been on the rampage and wreaked havoc on the planted viv lately. May re-home the 1, just not into them as i used to be. My mom begged me for the red tail so i let her have mocha. Odd to send a snake to my mothers house, but oh well. The things spoiled rotten.

Finally the beardies are growing like MAD. Im going to be building a plywood enclosure soon i hope. Ones a citrus tiger,the other a normal red and brown with a nice triangle pattern. I hate the solar glow bulb. Its my first in home health issue. Its causing droopy eye on the citrus because its too intense. Switching to heat emitter and an in tank uvb source. Horse pooh for that expensive bulb.

But, overall all is well in the krispy house. Been on hiatus because of remodeling on a large scale.

My fingers hurt....
    Last edited by Krispy; September 2nd, 2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: lmao cr()ap is still a no no?

Nationality
    [United States]

I've had my only frogs, 3 RETF, since the end of March. It's new territory for me and everyone seems to be doing well. Two are much bigger than the third and those 2 are very active. I'm guessing I have 1 male and 2 females? I love hearing them call and also the fact that they don't call too often. I'm glad I"m not breeding them since the gecko eggs are hatching every week.

Aliza

Nationality
    [Canada]

My frogs are doing great Im going to be conditioning my FBTs for winter for later
    breeding and my darts are feeding well. My female is one fat bugger, hopefully with some eggs!
    Im preparing my 20 gal for some azureus for the next reptile expo on the 20th
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I got some new frogs while at Tinley Park a few weeks ago

I've been wanting an albino red eyed tree frog for a while now, so Tinley Park seemed like a good time to get one. I love this little guy! He's been calling in response to the other boys from across the room in her qt tank at night. It is hard to get photos of him because he's only awake at night and I feel bad using the flash because I know albino eyes are more sensitive.

Look at all those freckles -

Having a good soak -

And then I decided to add another auratus "turquoise and bronze"

This guy was unbelievably tiny when I got him! He has been growing really well though and hoarding down some fruit flies.

21. 3 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Those are some nice frogs, Amy. The little one looks almost metallic.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Congrats on the new pickups, they are absolutely beautiful. That dart frog has stunning colours, and in the second pic of the red eye he looks so happy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pic vid of all our crew currently https://youtu.be/EnuIND7G2jM

One of our Milkies
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

All my frogs and salamander are doing well! Currently I have 5 firebelly toads, 1 African clawed frog, 1 Sonoran Desert toad (Colorado River toad) and 1 Axolotl. Unfortunately, one of my clawed frogs passed away a few days ago (20+ years old).
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Once my dad picks up my herps I'll update everyone. Like to think of this as Schrodinger's herps at this point, they are either dead or alive (Hoping for the last one!) but I won't know until I see them

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Those are some nice frogs, Amy. The little one looks almost metallic.
    Thank you! The little guy sure is pretty! He's growing well but pretty shy yet.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Congrats on the new pickups, they are absolutely beautiful. That dart frog has stunning colours, and in the second pic of the red eye he looks so happy.
    Thanks! I think he settled in pretty well!

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Pic vid of all our crew currently https://youtu.be/EnuIND7G2jM

One of our Milkies
    Milkies are so cute <3

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    All my frogs and salamander are doing well! Currently I have 5 firebelly toads, 1 African clawed frog, 1 Sonoran Desert toad (Colorado River toad) and 1 Axolotl. Unfortunately, one of my clawed frogs passed away a few days ago (20+ years old).
    I'm sorry that you lost one of your clawed frogs. The little guy definitely had a long life though! Glad to hear that all the rest are doing well

28. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Thread Information