Thread: Baby pacman frog not eating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Baby pacman frog not eating

Hello! I recently bought a baby pacman frog about 2 weeks ago. When I first got her, she fit the stereotype of having that typical voracious appetite. Eating roughly 4 small crickets a day. I took her on a trip that i took this past week where she was in a critter keeper compared to her 10 gallon tank she usually is in. On the trip she had a prolapse about 2.5 days in which was treated using the sugar warm water bath that the vet i contacted had recommended. I didn't feed her for a day and she refused to eat swatting away the food and ultimately turning away from it. She then ate one dusted small cricket the third day from then till now (3 days from her last cricket) she hasn't eaten. She is no longer in the critter keeper and now back in her 10 gallon tank. Does anyone know or have heard of this before? Is it the stress of moving from one location and in cars plus the prolapse effecting her desire to eat?
    Thanks so much any advice that could be given is greatly appreciated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Baby pacman frog not eating

Either the stress of being moved into a different environment (the critter keeper) or the prolapse could be enough to cause a frog to stop eating. Also, prolapses can sometimes be related to infections, so watch for decreased alertness or any symptoms like that.

Can you reply with answers to the questions in the following post so we can make sure your setup is on point? Husbandry being even slightly off can make an already stressed frog stop eating.
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=14721
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

4. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

1. Size of enclosure: 10 gallon glass aquarium
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: 1 baby pacman frog (the one in question)
    3. Humidity: 80%
    4. Temperature: 75-82F 75-77F(night)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: water dish on cooler side of enclosure with treated tap water same water is used for misting which is done 3 times a day.
    6. Materials used for substrate: moist eco-earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. one fake plant as well as one wood hide( it arches over the substrate so the frogs body is never in contact with the bark on the top of it.)
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source: crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): every other feeding( when she was eating)
    10. Lighting: the natural lighting of my house is being used
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: an UTH is being used currently
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: at the time of writing this 4 days ago
    13. Have you found poop lately: at the time of writing this yesterday 8/18/15
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) will get pictures later i am out running errands!
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.: when presented or left with food in front of her she swats away with her fore limbs and feet and will turn away enough so she doesn't have to look at it and will hop away.
    16. How old is the frog: i am not entirely sure the age of the frog as i bought her from an online store and it wasn't made clear when she hatched and metamorphosed
    17. How long have you owned him/her: i have owned her for roughly 2 weeks now +/- 3 days
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: she is a captive bred frog
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: prior to not wanting to eat she ate night crawler bits and waxworms as well as the main staple of crickets
    20. How often the frog is handled: i generally don't handle my frog just when i clean
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: the enclosure is in medium traffic its in an area where people aren't in that room but in the room across from it a lot and there is no door on either room.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): the enclosure is a standard 10gallon fish tank glass aquarium. there is a lid that i use that came with the tank that is plastic and has two slots for light bulbs on top. there is roughly 2 inches or so of moist eco-earth at the bottom with an uth on the right hand side. the fake plant is in the middle or so of the enclosure with room to jump to the cooler side if she wants to. the cooler side is also where the water dish is. the wood hid is the hot side of the enclosure but in the corner of it.
    If there is anymore questions regarding the enclosure or if I'm doing something wrong please let me know and i can work to fix it. I don't know if this is important but she is an albino pacman frog so if they need specific enclosure setup or something like that. Thanks again everyone

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, when you put for temp 75f-82f for the day do you mean it fluctuates through out the day? If so you want it to stay at steady 82f, if his temps are to cold his digestive system will slow down and this could make his appetite slow down also. When you called the vet did he recommend to bring the frog in? Im wondering if the prolapse went back in wrong or as stated before maybe an infection. If he had a prolapse then that was followed by the stress the infection could have gotten worse. For a staple I would use the nightcrawlers, better then crickets health wise and they are also softer and easier to digest. And feeding these as a staple might help another prolapse from occurring being one has happened already. If he is acting off I would also change his surroundings to very quiet low traffic place. Oh and is the uth on the side of tank or underneath on the right hand side? It shouldn't be underneath, always on the side for these guys. If he doesn't eat for you soon you may have to bring your little guy for a visit to the vet for some antibiotics or something because again with the prolapse there is a good chance he could have an infection.

Nationality
    [United States]

The UTH was on the underside till I moved it seeing your post thank you for telling me that. The vet was leaving at the time that I called and said to do the warm water sugar bath and said not to worry if it went away (it was a vet in New Jersey that worked with frogs and bearded dragons sometimes). I'll move her enclosure to a less traveled part of the house and yes my temperature fluctuates between a cooler 75-82 degrees. Is there a way to help stabilize the 82 degree Temperature for her? And should I try and get in contact with a vet now regarding the possible infection? What are the signs for one in these little guys? She seems to be like herself just refusing and swatting away food is the only difference in her behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

You could by a dimmer to hook your uth up to and you can adjust the temp with that or buy a rheostat or hydrotherm to help stabilize the heat. I know they can be abit pricey but once you hook your heat source up to one you are worry free for temp. I use hydrotherm for my big gal and every once and awhile I will throw a thermometer in beside the probe to make sure the hydrotherm is doing its job. The uth on the bottom prevents him from cooling off when he buries and this will stress him out because he wont be able to figure out why he isn't cooling off. Also he could bury right down to the uth and if he sits on top of it long enough it may burn him. Not eating is good indicator that something is wrong but once you stabilize the heat and now that you moved the uth he may change and start eating again. And if you just got him and he went on a road trip and had a prolapse then was put back into ten gallon, that's a lot for a frog so with the stress combined with the heat issue is forsure enough to through him off. You could probably give a day or 2 more and see what happens but any longer then that I would personally bring him to the vet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for all the help regarding this! I'll see if I can scrounge up a dimmer here and work to get the tank a stable temp for her and if not then I'll make sure to bring her to the vet and see if there's something that they can do to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information