Thread: New & Need Help - INJURED TOAD

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation New & Need Help - INJURED TOAD

Hello y'all.
    Yesterday I found the toad that my friend had accidentally clipped with a weed wacker almost a week ago. He didn't realize he had clipped her because after he realized she was there, he gently prodded her and she walked away and he didn't see any damage, so he thought she was fine. Sadly, not the case. I'm dog sitting for him and his wife this week while they're away on vacation.
    The toad has a gash/cut across her stomach and her left back foot looks horribly mangled and part of it is possibly dead. I do have pictures but cannot post at the moment, I will when I can.
    I took her in and put her in a container with shallow lukewarm water, where she proceeded to shed a good portion of her skin. I read that they eat this, but she didn't.
    Her stomach looks infected and inflamed. I put original neosporin on it (NO pain relief) and dipped her foot in one part antibiotic solution ten parts warm water. Most of yesterday she was anxious to get away from me and repeatedly climbed up my arm or walk/stumble hopped away from me before I brought her home and made a hospital tank for her. She is currently in a semi-large Rubbermaid bin on moist paper towels with a box as a hide big enough for her to go in and turn around and stretch. In that box is re-hydrated moss, and there is more moss sitting right outside the entrance. She mostly sits in front of the box, not inside.
    In the bin is also a water dish with the water going above her waist but below her poison glands behind her eyes/ears/head (can't remember what they're called right now). Also in the bin are some pieces of coral I have collected over the years for her to sit and climb on if she so desires. They're around the water dish to help keep it from tipping and to help her get in it if she has trouble hopping in, which it appears she does.
    Today I put more neosporin on her stomach and dipped her foot again (I think it will need to be amputated), then I took some Baytril and added one drop to 6 drops of warm water, then sucked it up a syringe and dripped it onto her back. Before I did this, she seemed weak and lethargic. She was almost laying flat on the floor of the bin before I picked her up to do the neosporin etc. After I did the drops and left her alone for a few hours, I came back to check on her. She has finally moved herself away from the spot she was in and is now sitting on the moss again like yesterday. All last night she stayed in the soaking dish as a Mercury Vapor Bulb shined down on it (I have a hospital tank set up for a turtle that uses this bulb during the day, so I switched the toad's day/night cycle so both her and the turtle can use the lamps during their specific "day time") and I had to pick her up out of it. She hasn't gone back in that I have seen, though she could have while I was leaving her alone. I didn't see any excrement though there was more shed skin.
    So, thoughts, comments, criticism's. Basically, HELP.
    I've never needed to rehab a toad with a foot looking like this before, and I'm pretty positive it will need to be removed, since it looks like at least one toe is dead and I think I see the toe bone of that toe. Again, unable to load pictures at this time, will as soon as able. The only toads/frogs I've helped in the past just had minor cuts/scrapes from neighborhood cats and needed a place for quiet healing and regrouping. I've never dealt with anything this severe on a toad. Right now I do not have any excess money to take her to a vet as I had four turtles dumped on me recently, two of which are severely ill and have sucked most of my savings into their medical care. Right now, I'm living on pennies. So helpful links to vets willing to do medical care on wildlife for free are appreciated (I've read somewhere that this is a thing sometimes, but the vets in my area won't treat wildlife at all. All medical stuff I've done for wildlife I've rehabbed has been by me and through me. Though honestly most of it has been baby animals needing nourishment and warmth or an animal with a scrape/gash/wound/sprain that is relatively easy to care for and keep away infection.
    I'm saying female because in all my handling of her, she hasn't made a single audible noise. I could be wrong, and she could be male. I know of the nodes/warts that one sex has, but can't remember which sex has those. Plus, I think I know what they look like but I'm not positive.
    Also, hi. My name is Angel.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New & Need Help - INJURED TOAD

Okay, it sounds like you're doing a lot to help. The neosporin was a good idea. If part of her foot is dead, it may lead to necrosis and death, but I don't have a picture so it's not certain. (I am also not a vet, take this with a grain of salt.)

I'd be cautious using the coral. Some of it might be sharp. I wouldn't put it in water because salt might leach out. Toads aren't normally big climbers anyway.

I'd continue applying neosporin occasionally and let the toad alone to rest in between. Sorry, I don't know how to amputate a foot or if this would be feasible or a good thing to do. hopefully someone else can answer.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the concern. I checked to make sure the coral wasn't sharp before placing it in. The coral is also not in the water, but around the outside of the water dish as the water dish is a bit high for how she is hopping around right now. They're a little step helper to help her into the water. It is also very very old coral. It's been sitting on a shelf in my room for at least ten years.
    I'm going to see if I can add pictures now.
    Its not letting me because I'm using my phone and it says they're not a proper image file. I'll try again when I get home.
    one thing I forgot to mention was that I pulled a white 'barb' out of an unnatural bump on her back. It's very very small, like maybe the length of a small ant.

Nationality
    [United States]

It seems as though the toad is only getting worse. Her stomach wound is steadily growing more inflamed and red around it every day, she is starting to sit while leaning to the right (I think this is because of her damaged left foot) Her foot still has blood flow (which I guess is good) but the one toe is definitely dead and has started to shrivel up. I'm hoping it falls off on it's own and I won't have to amputate the foot, but as of right now that is still unknown. The open wound between the dead toe and the one next to it is still open and always has very minor pooling of blood right at the surface (the blood just sits there, there's not enough to drip or run down the rest of the foot, it's just enough that I notice it) but so far there is no infection or red inflamed skin. So for now I'm just continuing my antiseptic dipping of the foot.
    The bump on her back seems to be coming to a head, but it also making some skin/flesh start to peel away. Only a very tiny amount on the underside of the bump, but It isn't looking good.
    She has yet to eat for me, as well. The food I put in her hospital tank scurries away after it regains it's mobility (I stun them so they're still twitching but unable to run away for the first minute or so) and either she just completely ignores it or walks over it like it's not there or just stares at it and doesn't move at all. I did a honey water soak yesterday. Didn't seem to change anything.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wish the best for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Just to update people, she died. Further examination after death showed major internal injuries including broken ribs puncturing organs. It's amazing she lived as long as she did.

Thread Information