Thread: Poe was eyeballing the cat....

Jace

Default Poe was eyeballing the cat....

When I got up this morning, Poe and my daughters' cat, Nevada were eyeballing each other. Nevada took off, but I managed to get some decent frontal pics of Poe. To me, his front legs are looking really good and he is using them constantly to push himself up. Isn't he cute???
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Poe was eyeballing the cat....

Looking good!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Well done Jace.

Jace

Thank you! Now to plan his more permanent indoor enclosure. Any suggestions? Would a 25 gallon be big enough do you think?

Iratus ranunculus

Does he/she/it still have that kink in the tail? I managed to get my hands on a good amphibian vet textbook (because my university vet is a moron to the extent that he exists on campus, and i pretty much have to do everything myself). Going over the pics it actually looks like scoliosis. Correctable in the future with vitamin B added to the water column or in food.

That said, he/she/it is looking good.

As 25 gallon tank is more than enough for a couple years. I would recommend using clay flower pots as land areas, well planted of course. Have them interspersed throughout the tank. The frog will be a happy frog.

Jace

Thanks, Iratus. What kind of plants would you suggest? I don't know what kinds would handle possibly getting soaked and trampled on frequently!!

Yes, he still has the kink in his tail. He has a bump that formed on his tail soon after I got him, and now he has a definite almost S shaped tail. I was worried it would affect his morphing, but so far, the legs look good. Now to just wait and see if the tail will be properly absorbed. Vitamin B? I will do anything to ensure he morphs into a healthy froglet, so if it's recommended, I am there! Thanks for the info.

My ultimate plan is to design and build an outdoor enclosure for him where he can be kept for a most of the year, except for during the really cold winter months.

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Thanks, Iratus. What kind of plants would you suggest? I don't know what kinds would handle possibly getting soaked and trampled on frequently!!

Yes, he still has the kink in his tail. He has a bump that formed on his tail soon after I got him, and now he has a definite almost S shaped tail. I was worried it would affect his morphing, but so far, the legs look good. Now to just wait and see if the tail will be properly absorbed. Vitamin B? I will do anything to ensure he morphs into a healthy froglet, so if it's recommended, I am there! Thanks for the info.

My ultimate plan is to design and build an outdoor enclosure for him where he can be kept for a most of the year, except for during the really cold winter months.

An outdoor enclosure is probably not a good idea where the frog is invasive. Just saying.

As for plants, Pothos in the pots, it can be grown hydroponically. You just need something to root it in, say the gravel used for planted aquariums. The plants are relatively cheap. Peace Lillies are also a good choice. As for the water, you will want duckweed, maybe a few waterlilly, elodea, and maybe some water hyacinth.

Jace

Excellent plants suggestions, thank you! I've noted them down and will do some pricing out in the next week or so.

The outdoor enclosure is going to be COMPLETELY enclosed. Even the bottom. It's mostly going to to consist of a pool with water plants and some small land areas in the corners with more plants. The only way in or out will be a locking door. At least, that is the plan. I am doing more research on line. Right now, I want Poe in the house!

How long do you think until his tail will be absorbed? I think it is already smaller, but it may be wishful thinking on my part...

Iratus ranunculus

Excellent plants suggestions, thank you! I've noted them down and will do some pricing out in the next week or so.

The outdoor enclosure is going to be COMPLETELY enclosed. Even the bottom. It's mostly going to to consist of a pool with water plants and some small land areas in the corners with more plants. The only way in or out will be a locking door. At least, that is the plan. I am doing more research on line. Right now, I want Poe in the house!

How long do you think until his tail will be absorbed? I think it is already smaller, but it may be wishful thinking on my part...
    The tail will go away very very quickly once his frogmouth is fully formed. Give it a week, or two, three at the most. Probably closer to the lower end.

Jace

Okay, thank you. He doesn't seem to be eating a whole lot right now, but he is very very active. I have just enough water in his tank to cover him, and a turtle dock fastened to the side for him to climb out when he is ready. Once he loses most of his tail, I will get the 25 gallon ready and start him on that. One more "newbie" guestion here: how much water should be in his tank to start off with, once he fully morphs? I know the bigger he gets, the more water he can handle. Should he always be able to touch the bottom? Thanks for your help!

Iratus ranunculus

Okay, thank you. He doesn't seem to be eating a whole lot right now, but he is very very active. I have just enough water in his tank to cover him, and a turtle dock fastened to the side for him to climb out when he is ready. Once he loses most of his tail, I will get the 25 gallon ready and start him on that. One more "newbie" guestion here: how much water should be in his tank to start off with, once he fully morphs? I know the bigger he gets, the more water he can handle. Should he always be able to touch the bottom? Thanks for your help!
    Well vegetated with plenty of resting spots, but you dont need to worry about depth. Bullfrogs are very strong swimmers, you dont really need to worry about drowning so long as he has something he can prop a foreleg on, and the ability to get out of the water when he wants. Preferably into a place he has plenty of cover.

Jace

Okay, I think I got it now!! Now, the hard part: waiting for the tail to go. Patience is not a strong point of mine!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Lol..let us know when Poe's tail has absorbed and a photo would be cool too. He's a wee celebrity now. Its been wonderful watching him grow. Thanks Jace.

Jace

When it comes to that little one, I go a bit overboard in the picture taking department! I will be showing the transition as best as I can, I promise-he tends to go into hyperdrive when he sees that camera about to flash in his face again!! Thanks Ebony!

Thread Information