Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, I wanted to see if maybe I could get a more educated opinion of tank sizes for 2-3 RETF's. I have an 18x18x18 live planted tank that I'm planning to let grow in for a couple months before getting any frogs, but my issue with this is with the drainage and soil layer and diy background I made, the tank volume is more like 17 gallons rather than the 23 gallons it would be empty. I had been hoping to get a trio as they supposedly do better in groups, but I'm not sure if this is enough room for 3 of them. If the tank is heavily planted, would there be enough room for 3 of them? What are some concerns with keeping 3 of them in a tank this size (are they prone to aggressive behavior if they don't have the full 25 gallons for 3 of them etc.) I'm a bit confused, when some websites say 10 gallons for a pair plus 5 gallons per extra frog is enough, where others say 10 gallons per frog is needed, or if these sizes refer to empty tank sizes and that starting out with a empty 23 is okay. If it's unsafe to put three in there I'll only get 2 though.

Also, there seems to be a lot of debate on UVB lighting for these guys. I know they're nocturnal, but many seem to believe UVB is still beneficial or even a necessity. Right now the tank is just lit up with two 26 watt 6500k CFL for the plants. The compact top they're in takes up an entire half of the screen lid, so I worry about putting another light on top of the open screen, that it will cut off too much air circulation for the frogs.

Any help would be appreciated, this will be my first time caring for frogs long term in my own home.