Thread: Something protruding from my paceman frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Something protruding from my paceman frog?

so I'm new to this forum and I wasn't sure where to post this. I just recently bought a paceman frog, he's about the size of a half dollar so he's still a baby. Yesterday I thought he ate a peice of bark (which I realized was a horrible idea so I immediately took it out and replaced it with paper towels) but this morning he pooped fine so if he did eat it, he either spit it back out or passed it okay. Now today he has this long peice of, what looks like wood, sticking straight out of his body. It's very thin and almost looks like a splinter, so could it be a splinter or is this something more serious? It's pretty deep I started pulling some out but stopped because I didn't want to hurt him. Any ideas?? He's also very wobbly and off balanced( when he hops he goes face first in the ground) I don't know if this is normal or not :/ please help. Anything at all!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Something protruding from my paceman frog?

Oh my, sorry to hear your frog isn't well. Is the splinter sticking into him so you can see it totally or is it sticking out of him? And do you mean just so I understand correctly that what ever it is has broke skin? if you could take a picture a post it to site like photobucket or something similar that would be very helpful. And no he shouldn't be face planting when jumping. Keep him in the tank with moist paper towels for now a water bowl and I would say I fake plant but im not sure because I wouldn't want him to hit the plant were this thing is and make it worse. What side is it on? If its comeing through from the inside the left side is the stomach and the rightside is the intestine. Again a picture is worth a thousand words, and no matter what he will need to see a vet asap by the sounds things. Oh and I wouldn't pull it out, doesn't sound the best thing. And hopefully a moderator will see this and move the thread and if not if you repost this in the pacman part of the forum some of the really experienced members with pacmans may see it and be able to help out, but again by the sounds of it this little guy is going to need a vet. And even if pooped fine it could still be the piece of wood, it may not have been in the intestine at the time he had his poop.
    Last edited by monster; August 8th, 2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Nationality
    [United States]

First of all: VET. There is probably nothing you can do for this at home. Second of all: We need a picture to give you more advice.

Just to be clear, the piece of wood is coming out of him? Like, it was inside and came out, not something that was in the tank that punctured the skin? If it's a splinter, as in something that just poked into him from the outside, there's a chance it missed the important stuff and he might make it. If it was on the inside and is poking out, he is probably going to die even with vet attention. If that's the case you'll still need to take him to the vet to put him out of his misery. Either way, don't mess with it. I'm sorry, that just really doesn't sound like it's going to end well.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

5. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was thinking the same thing if its comeing from the inside that it wont end well I just didn't want to have to say it without a pic. And ya if its comeing out of him so it is actually visible it has obviously punctured a hole through the wall of the intestine or stomach which as stated above will not end well. Im so sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Oh my, sorry to hear your frog isn't well. Is the splinter sticking into him so you can see it totally or is it sticking out of him? And do you mean just so I understand correctly that what ever it is has broke skin? if you could take a picture a post it to site like photobucket or something similar that would be very helpful. And no he shouldn't be face planting when jumping. Keep him in the tank with moist paper towels for now a water bowl and I would say I fake plant but im not sure because I wouldn't want him to hit the plant were this thing is and make it worse. What side is it on? If its comeing through from the inside the left side is the stomach and the rightside is the intestine. Again a picture is worth a thousand words, and no matter what he will need to see a vet asap by the sounds things. Oh and I wouldn't pull it out, doesn't sound the best thing. And hopefully a moderator will see this and move the thread and if not if you repost this in the pacman part of the forum some of the really experienced members with pacmans may see it and be able to help out, but again by the sounds of it this little guy is going to need a vet. And even if pooped fine it could still be the piece of wood, it may not have been in the intestine at the time he had his poop.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Thanks for the response! As I examined it more i ended up sliding it out. It didn't seem to hurt or bother him an anyway but it definitely seems like it was coming from within his body and not from the outside like a splinter. And his cage was completely empty at the time. I'm going to keep a close eye on him for now and see how he does, and like you said he may not have been ready to pass the price of bark so I will definitely be keeping an eye out for that. I currently have a very shallow dish of water, paper towels, a pant and a peice of wood (nothing that can be digested.) how ignored his food today but he might just be stressed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, if that came from inside of him, his digestive tract IS perforated. You NEED to get him to a vet for antibiotics ASAP. Otherwise the contents of his digestive system will almost certainly cause infection by seeping into the rest of his body.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

10. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Okay, if that came from inside of him, his digestive tract IS perforated. You NEED to get him to a vet for antibiotics ASAP. Otherwise the contents of his digestive system will almost certainly cause infection by seeping into the rest of his body.
    Seconded. Please get him to a vet.

12. This member thanks Herpvet for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would have to agree with the others that a trip to the vet will be needed. Now that you have took it out does he still seem to be face planting when moving.

14. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh and one more thing I thought of this morning is now that it is out if you can actually see the hole/cut you could put abit of polysporin without pain reliever on it may be once in the morn and then again night before bed I would say. This is to prevent and help any outer infections he may get before the trip to the vet. Make sure there is NO pain reliever in the polysporin because it will kill your frog.

16. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

If you don't have access to an exotics vet, just take him to a regular dog/cat vet. They can usually dose antibiotics to the weight of the frog, and it's not very expensive.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Something protruding from my paceman frog?

Are you able to estimate how far in the splinter was?

How is he acting today?
    Last edited by Heatheranne; August 10th, 2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: updated
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The frog shouldn't have anything like this in his terrarium to begin with. For substrate, use plantation soil aka ground coconut husk. It holds humidity well, doesn't readily mold, and has low impaction/perforation injury risk.

If that was actually sticking out of the frog, please take him along with the object to a herp vet.

Thread Information