Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

Question New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

Well I got a new Red-Eye last week. It was supposed to be female but I'm honestly not sure, looks pretty small, the same length as my two males.

But it arrived alive and active at least. But not in the best shape. Veeerry thin, and the nose was all scratched up. It hasn't eaten so I... well, I know it sounds cruel, but I force fed it. It was extremely thin, as if it'd eaten a single cricket in the past week. I honestly am not sure it'd have made it through the "hunger strike" that Red-Eyes do after being shipped. Well as I was feeding it, I noticed this redness on the throat. I'm not sure if it was there when I got it, or if it happened while in the QT tank. Either way I wanted to know what you think it is. Has anyone seen this before? It looks to me like the Red-Eye simply scratched or bumped it's throat but I want to be sure.

Oh and also, it pooped last night and the poop was runny and greenish in color, not like Frenchy and Newbie's poops which are firmer and brown.

Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention. I never see the frog shedding, even though it clearly needs to. I see shedding on the frog but he/she never wipes it off or does the motions (opening and closing the mouth, sucking in and pushing out the stomach in that wave-y motion). Might it be because it's afraid to, being so new?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

I honestly have no idea on the throat but that doesn't look good. Is she WC? Do you have a picture of her back? She needs a fecal exam asap and I would also send a skin swab off to RAL to test for B.d. (Chytrid) and Rana virus... something I personally plan on doing from now on with ANY frog I might purchase, CB or no. :/

Hope you have her Qt'd?

http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/reptiles
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

4. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    I honestly have no idea on the throat but that doesn't look good. Is she WC? Do you have a picture of her back? She needs a fecal exam asap and I would also send a skin swab off to RAL to test for B.d. (Chytrid) and Rana virus... something I personally plan on doing from now on with ANY frog I might purchase, CB or no. :/

Hope you have her Qt'd?

Good news, the red spot is fading so I do think she injured herself somehow, poor thing. Im not sure on what! Maybe the water bowl?

According to the website she was C.B.

Here is a photo of her back:

She has plumped up a bit since i first got her.

How do i get the exams done?? Does it cost money, and if so how much?

Yes she is in QT.

6. 2 members thank MantidBro for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to hear its better

Here you go:

Consider testing for Rana virus ! ( skin swab) Or ask the person you purchase from if they spot check their offspring?
    Fecal for parasites should be as fresh as possible.

There are medications that should be kept on hand. Read through ..........:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=14718

Their enclosures need to be kept VERY clean.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

8. 2 members thank flybyferns for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Good to hear its better

Here you go:

Consider testing for Rana virus ! ( skin swab) Or ask the person you purchase from if they spot check their offspring?
    Fecal for parasites should be as fresh as possible.

There are medications that should be kept on hand. Read through ..........:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=14718

Their enclosures need to be kept VERY clean.

Ah, thank you!

Ill save up to buy these things!

Ive been giving her honey baths and will clean her container every day now. She seems to be more active, i saw her crawling around when i peeked behind the pillow case i placed over her cage for the night

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm wondering if her incomplete sheds were from dehydration/too low humidity when shipped too? She looks good from the backside anyhow. Good luck with her, will be looking for updates!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

I'm wondering if her incomplete sheds were from dehydration/too low humidity when shipped too? She looks good from the backside anyhow. Good luck with her, will be looking for updates!
    It was quite humid in the deli cup she arrived in. But maybe she was dehydrated, or something. I get the feeling she wasnt under the best conditions before she was shipped to me, what with the cuts and emaciation. Im glad she looks good from the backside, i thought so too.

I took this photo of her water bowl. She went in and when she came out it looked like this. Is it simply all the skin she needed to shed? Is this an excessive amount of shedding? does it look normal? it seems kind of chunky to me but it may be because she hasnt been wiping the skin off so it collected up on her. Im not sure.

At the moment all skin is removed it seems at least. She looks fresh and new.

Here is the injury on her throat... It does look better, right? or worse? the redness has gone down and been replaced with brown so im thinking its healing? but it really looks horrid... Is this bruising? might a cricket have been biting her?? it almost looks like bites.

Shes still not eating but its only been a week, i got her last wednesday. She should hopefully eat on her own soon. I give her the option every night just in case. No missing crickets so far.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Question Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

Maybe something bit her before she was shipped, and the guy didn't know/check her, and she went downhill whilst being shipped

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MantidBro View Post
    Good news, the red spot is fading so I do think she injured herself somehow, poor thing. Im not sure on what! Maybe the water bowl?

According to the website she was C.B.

Here is a photo of her back:

She has plumped up a bit since i first got her.

How do i get the exams done?? Does it cost money, and if so how much?

Yes she is in QT.
    Also, what is that orange thing on her leg in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Maybe something bit her before she was shipped, and the guy didn't know/check her, and she went downhill whilst being shipped
    That is possible

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Where did you get her from? If you want to pm me, you can. She looks wc and I think that she may have a bacterial infection. Do you have a phib friendly vet?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

16. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Also, what is that orange thing on her leg in the picture?
    I was wondering the same thing, i realized its a mealworm exuvia, i have no idea how it got there, maybe when i was feeding my mantids it fell in?

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Where did you get her from? If you want to pm me, you can. She looks wc and I think that she may have a bacterial infection. Do you have a phib friendly vet?
    Okay i messaged you.

Aw man according to the website theyre actually field caught. I must have mixed up the info on the websites I was looking at, as i looked through quite a few.

But the guy i talked to said it was the breeders female and that he left. So im kind of confused. I cant tell whats truth and whats not.

Anyways... The reviews on their website were great, but then a member here showed me reviews off the site and theyre horrible. Isnt that nice...

Well thats the past anyhow. Now its just my job to help this little one. Some think she may have a bacterial infection, chytrid, i hope not but it may very well be the case. A friend told me that a pinch of uniodized salt in the water bowl would help kill the bacteria/fungus? so i purchased some and did just that. I also need to get unflavored pedialyte still, i was supposed to get it today but wasnt able to, so hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime ill continue to give the little one honey baths as well as salt baths. I do rinse the little one off with good water after letting her soak of course.

I read that chytrid cant live in temperatures over 75F so ive been using a heating pad to keep it closer to 80F.

Ive got a few questions. How many times a day should i give her the salt bath? and is a pinch of salt enough for a small water bowl? its like two inches deep, five inches long and three inches wide.

Has anyone used organic coconut water before? my sister drinks it and i saw on the back that it has a lot of vitamins and potassium, and electrolytes. But im wondering if itd be safe to add a bit to the water? Or is that a big no no? Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The only way you will know if it is Chytrid for sure, in early stages, is if she is tested and comes up positive for B.d. The heat treatment for Chytrid is more involved than you think, so I would watch out going that route as frogs can dehydrate and die. The recommended treatment by our vet was an Itraconazole solution bath (it's by prescription), soak frog 5 minutes daily for 11 days, and do a complete breakdown/clean and bleach (1/2 cup regular bleach to 1 gallon of water) of EVERYTHING your frog comes in contact with every single day (use only non-porous, easily disinfected décor). Having to do this for all 7 of my frogs and each enclosure every day was exhausting but I got through it. This was just a preventative treatment too, as my original frogs never had any issues with this dreaded disease, and things seem same as usual for them 57 days after the last treatment. I planned on testing a few days after the final treatment to make doubly sure everyone was all clear, but our temps skyrocketed up into the upper 90's/100+ degrees, so I held off as I was worried the excessive heat would make the tests non-viable if the ice pack melted before reaching the lab. All the frogs seemed to handle treatment well except for Honey-Lime, my problem child. I think the medication adversely effected him, possibly exacerbating the gastric issues he's had from coccidiosis. He just doesn't want to eat, and when he does it seems to be painful or bother him somehow I think I'm going to have to wind up putting him on a prepared meal, like pacman food mixed with Reptaboost, something that is nutritious but easy to digest and without any hard bits like leg parts or heads.

I have no experience with using salt in the water, but I would beware of that until you get more info. I have, however, used 100% all natural organic coconut water (mixed with dechlor water) in place of Pedialyte with no apparent problems. If you suspect Chytrid then time is of the essence and you need to get her tested immediately, this can be a very fast acting disease, but conversely it can also hang on if the frog is getting other supportive therapy other than the anti-fungal treatment... at least this was my experience with my poor Pole Bean frog
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Lisa is right. The only way to be sure is to test. I posted --> sent the link a few days ago- see post #4
    The swab is a very simple process... but you need to call have the swab sent to you.
    If the frog is still il, I may I respectfully suggest you move quickly.

I believe Josh's Frogs sell the swabs as well.

I have never used a salt bath for a tree frog.

As mentioned... ask the breeder if they spot test their offspring for:
    Chytrid Fungus (B. dendrobatidis)
    more importantly ~ ranavirus

A fresh fecal sample can be sent for detection of parasites.
    If present , parasites, can be treated w Panacur, of which you can purchase from Dr Frye or a near-by herp vet.

This may help:
    http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-vet-finder/
    http://www.repticzone.com/articles/v...tedStates.html

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

22. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with the other ladies ^^ Getting him/her tested for parasites and chytrid is the best thing you can do right now, especially considering that this frog is wild caught. It would also be important so that the facility can test their current animals, because judging by their reviews, they have some serious issues going on. That's so frustrating, I'm sorry for your difficulties. I highly recommend researching reviews and asking a bazillion questions when purchasing animals in the future. You shouldn't have to, but some people are deceptive and tend to care more about their bottom line than anything else.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

24. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Lisa is right. The only way to be sure is to test. I posted --> sent the link a few days ago- see post #4
    The swab is a very simple process... but you need to call have the swab sent to you.
    If the frog is still il, I may I respectfully suggest you move quickly.

I believe Josh's Frogs sell the swabs as well.

I have never used a salt bath for a tree frog.

As mentioned... ask the breeder if they spot test their offspring for:
    Chytrid Fungus (B. dendrobatidis)
    more importantly ~ ranavirus

A fresh fecal sample can be sent for detection of parasites.
    If present , parasites, can be treated w Panacur, of which you can purchase from Dr Frye or a near-by herp vet.

This may help:
    http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-vet-finder/
    http://www.repticzone.com/articles/v...tedStates.html

So once i buy a swab from joshs frogs and fill out the form who do i ship it to? Ive never done this before its kind of confusing to me.

The only way you will know if it is Chytrid for sure, in early stages, is if she is tested and comes up positive for B.d. The heat treatment for Chytrid is more involved than you think, so I would watch out going that route as frogs can dehydrate and die. The recommended treatment by our vet was an Itraconazole solution bath (it's by prescription), soak frog 5 minutes daily for 11 days, and do a complete breakdown/clean and bleach (1/2 cup regular bleach to 1 gallon of water) of EVERYTHING your frog comes in contact with every single day (use only non-porous, easily disinfected décor). Having to do this for all 7 of my frogs and each enclosure every day was exhausting but I got through it. This was just a preventative treatment too, as my original frogs never had any issues with this dreaded disease, and things seem same as usual for them 57 days after the last treatment. I planned on testing a few days after the final treatment to make doubly sure everyone was all clear, but our temps skyrocketed up into the upper 90's/100+ degrees, so I held off as I was worried the excessive heat would make the tests non-viable if the ice pack melted before reaching the lab. All the frogs seemed to handle treatment well except for Honey-Lime, my problem child. I think the medication adversely effected him, possibly exacerbating the gastric issues he's had from coccidiosis. He just doesn't want to eat, and when he does it seems to be painful or bother him somehow I think I'm going to have to wind up putting him on a prepared meal, like pacman food mixed with Reptaboost, something that is nutritious but easy to digest and without any hard bits like leg parts or heads.

I have no experience with using salt in the water, but I would beware of that until you get more info. I have, however, used 100% all natural organic coconut water (mixed with dechlor water) in place of Pedialyte with no apparent problems. If you suspect Chytrid then time is of the essence and you need to get her tested immediately, this can be a very fast acting disease, but conversely it can also hang on if the frog is getting other supportive therapy other than the anti-fungal treatment... at least this was my experience with my poor Pole Bean frog
    Okay thank you. My original male red eyes have no issue with 80F, if anything it makes them more lively. The warmer it is, the more i hear frenchy chuckling at newbie. They are from costa rica so i think 80 is okay. The little one has a water bowl in her tank and is misted regularly as well, i keep it at 70% - 80% humidity and i also remove the heating pad every few hours.

I have been thoroughly cleaning everything every night, except for the water bowl which i clean two-three times a day.

Im sorry about sir honey lime! I hope he will be okay.

She is still not eating unfortunately. Last night i used an eye dripper to suck up some cricket guts and calcium/D3 powder and get it into her mouth. I feel that the supplement is important at this time.

27. This member thanks MantidBro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I agree with the other ladies ^^ Getting him/her tested for parasites and chytrid is the best thing you can do right now, especially considering that this frog is wild caught. It would also be important so that the facility can test their current animals, because judging by their reviews, they have some serious issues going on. That's so frustrating, I'm sorry for your difficulties. I highly recommend researching reviews and asking a bazillion questions when purchasing animals in the future. You shouldn't have to, but some people are deceptive and tend to care more about their bottom line than anything else.
    Im very upset that they have animals like this and are selling them to people!! I had read reviews but it was my mistake not to research them in google. I only went by the reviews on their site. Its horrible too because i reviewed too soon and made it sound like all is well. Ill add a review on yelp and hopefully people will see that this is not the place to use. Ive tried messaging the guy twice but he wont respond whivh is aggravating. Its obvious that he does not care about the actual animals and that all he cares about is making money. If he cared about the animals, he would show some concern about my frog being ill.

29. This member thanks MantidBro for this post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information