Thread: Mesh screen or glass terrarium for whites

Default Cats broke glass terrarium so now ...mesh screen or glass terrarium for whites

So... Cats happened. Broke my Exo terra glass terrarium housing 4 whites tree frogs. I'm thinking of getting the Exo terra mesh ones next to prevent that from happening. Washing off glass shards from your frog is no laughing matter. I prefer the glass ones as they like to stick to the sides. No issues with humidity and temperature here as it's in the tropics. Any opinions? I would love not to have one more broken, or worse, an injured frog, and yet still think glass is superior for frogs plus of course the better viewing. Please, any thoughts? Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Mesh screen or glass terrarium for whites

I personally think the glass is better for viewing and cleaning, mesh is a nightmare to clean poo from! But both are really nice set ups regardless

from Hannah

4. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Glass is probably better- the frogs love to climb, it keeps the humidity up, and so on. Is there any way you can cat-proof it? Make sure the table is big enough? Strap the thing down?

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

I still do prefer glass but I don't like glass shards on my frogs! Luckily it didn't seem to affect anyone, they were all sleeping like pigs when I found them. I suppose I can put them on the floor but then the viewing won't be as good. The entire table toppled with the terrarium so no point strapping it down?
    How light is a screen one? May be a bit easier to topple if it's lighter than glass?? Also how messy will mesh be from
    bedding being tossed out? Oh I don't have humidity issues. It's always about 80-90% ambient humidity anyway so I never need to do anything to keep it up.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't think the bedding will fit through the mesh easily. And it might really be easier to topple.

Edit: Also too bad that happened, I know it must be scary picking glass off your frogs!

9. This member thanks elly for this post:

In the end I got back the same terrarium. Thanks guys!

Red face Re: Mesh screen or glass terrarium for whites

I am a little late on this discussion I know. Just thought I would add I have 2 large potted plants in with my 7 Whites. They are heavy (really the aquarium itself is too big for me to even move). But I thought that might help with weighting your tank. I just remove the entire pot when I clean and replace the shallow dirt layer on the bottom of the tank. I spray them down and the background a few times a week, and the frogs love the plants of course. The plants are a birds nest fern and big bromeliad. Got them both at Lowes and rinsed them well, changed the dirt and waited a month before putting them in the tank.

I would love to post a picture but for some reason I get the message "not a valid image file." Gotta figure that out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i would be concerned the cat/cats would slice thru the mesh with their claws.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

13. This member thanks ColleenT for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What you need is a different table, something that will hold the weight of an Exo-Terra. You also need to cat proof your frog area. Cat could get up on top of the screen lid and possibly rip that out or stove it in. Not a good scenario either way.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cats broke glass terrarium so now ...mesh screen or glass terrarium for whites

That's my nightmare I need to earthquake proof all of my tanks. I already cat proofed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Cats broke glass terrarium so now ...mesh screen or glass terrarium for whites

I have a 265 gallon screen reptarium on my porch for my dragon and he tends to hang on the screen at one end so I had to cat proof that bacause of my neighbors cat. I still can't leave him out there unattended because of what could happen I'm a worrier

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Information