Thread: Whites Tree Frog Update Since Not Eating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Whites Tree Frog Update Since Not Eating

OK, so a few months back i posted how my tree frog Slurp wouldn't acknowledge when food was around her. After much frustration, a week long dosage of Baytril, and gentle force feeding (scary!), she has started to accept mealworms i place in front of her (I know they aren't as good as crickets) along with 3 crickets i put in her enclosure disappearing over time (hoping!). But from her non eating period of over a month she developed calcium deficiency and or mbd. Her spine is arched and has knobs in it and she has puffy thighs. So today i pocked up calcium worms (petco phoenix worms) and flukers liquid calcium. Tonight she ate 4 of the worms (undusted) and i soaked her in 8 oz water with 1/2 tsp calcium (which seemed like alot). After reading tons of reviews on how peoples pets have died due to this liquid calcium i am kind of afraid to go to bed tonight (its 1:30 am right now). But all these people for some reason tried to give this calcium in its un mixed form which is dangerous. Hoping that will help her too as the vet i go through is out for a week on vacation. Buuuuutttttt, my real question is how can I get Slurp to eat food like she used to? Before she ate anything that moved and had a bottomless pit but now she takes longer to eat, eats less, and doesn't lunge at or accept food from my hand. Why is this? There was poop in her water bowl last night but she really hasn't been pooping much, then again she hasn't eaten a ton either though. Could she have a worm? Do i need to use another treatment of Baytril? Or is it just the mbd causing her to not eat as crazy?

As always, thank you to all that reply. The time you take to help others is invaluable, I am so glad there are people like you in this world, without you guys I would be without one of my favorite green friends

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Update Since Not Eating

1. Whites tree frog
    4. 18x18x24
    5. one
    6. With her brother who passed away from red leg
    7. none
    8. 45% (70% after spray 35% before spray)
    9. 75-78 degrees and 70-72 at night (occasionally higher or lower)
    10. Digital temp gauge and an infrared temp gun
    11. 75 watt zoo med bulb with UVA for daytime. 60 watt zoo med red infrared night light for night
    12. Water change every night or when pooped in I do it sooner. Full cleaning once a month.
    13. Well water for everything. No dechlorinator as it is chlorine free. never had problems in 3 years I have had her.
    14. Repticarpet as of now because she dislikes eco-earth.
    15. Clean with big bowl of water then clean repticarpet. wash off glass. make sure nothing except water ever touches her stuff so not to contaminate it. Plastic hanging plants.
    16. Tonight
    17. Yesterday
    18. Was 3 crickets every other day. sometimes did 1 one day and 2 the next etc.
    19. large cricket
    20. gave her a pinkie mouse for Christmas
    21. Crickets
    22. Roam
    23. Tetrafauna- reptolife plus- expired so havent used lately. but was once or twice a week.
    24. Tetrafauna- reptocal (has D3)- Just about every feeding.
    25. For a month because she hadnt eaten, im afraid that shes going to get MBD- I predicted the future on that one.
    26. 3 years, 8 months
    27. 3 years, 5 months
    28. Petco
    29. CB (i think because they were tiny when I first get her and her brother)
    30. Only when needed, more lately because I am worried about her. No gloves but always wash twice without soap to make sure no skin oils than i keep hands damp so i don't pick up and bacteria on way and never touch any door handles. But i make sure my hands are perfectly clean. #OCD about harming her
    31. Low traffic, my sister likes to barge in a turn lights on when its nighttime because she doesn't care about anyone. Other than that it is usually semi quiet, never have music or anything load playing in the room.
    32. Baytril for a week

Here is a link to Slurps picture (I put it on yahoo answers (because this site wont let me)- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2202443AAJ9bIe
    Here is a link to enclosure- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2202643AAJvIR2

2 seperate questions because for some reason it only lets you post one photo per question

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

She's probably still not feeling good. My frog was off for a while after being treated. Plus the MBD probably has had an effect. I'd keep trying to feed her as much as she'll take and keep up the calcium.

Have you given her any feeders brought from outside? If so parasites might be a concern. But even if she has a parasite I'd wait for her to recover from MBD before treating her.

If you feel like it, you might want to figure out how to check whether your well water has heavy metals.

Edit: Also good for you for taking your frog to the vet. MBD can be life threatening!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    She's probably still not feeling good. My frog was off for a while after being treated. Plus the MBD probably has had an effect. I'd keep trying to feed her as much as she'll take and keep up the calcium.

Have you given her any feeders brought from outside? If so parasites might be a concern. But even if she has a parasite I'd wait for her to recover from MBD before treating her.

If you feel like it, you might want to figure out how to check whether your well water has heavy metals.

Edit: Also good for you for taking your frog to the vet. MBD can be life threatening!

How long should I continue the calcium baths? I did the second one tonight.
    Ill look into the well water thing aswell thank you.
    I never give any food from any place except pet stores (super paranoid of diseases)
    Tonight I noticed the bottom quarter of both her thighs are slightly red, not sure if it is red leg or just natural reddening from jumping around
    PS: I havent taken her to the vet yet to diagnose the mbd (save money that way) and I havent been able to contact vet because hes out on vacation. So finding this liquid calcium at a petsmart was a god send!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Calcium baths? I have no idea. SOMEBODY HELP.

Thread Information