Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks joshua123 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: male or female

How old is the frog? Can you post a picture of the throat area and the bottom of one the front feet? I think that's how you tell... The boys will have a darker coloration on the throat and nuptial pads on the inside of the 'thumbs'. Nice looking frog btw!

The frog is about a year old. ( that's what the seller told me ) it's hard taking picture of the frog as it is always buried lol. Anyway this is a 32" X 15" X 10" height tank, what else do I need to add into it?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would cover 3 sides of the enclosure, your coco fibre is to dry. When you pick up the substrate you want it to clump in your fist but be dripping water. You want your heat to be around 82f during the day and let it drop a few degrees at night. Humidity needs around 75% to 80%. That's a pretty big tank so maybe put the water dish right in the middle that way what ever side he chooses to be on the water source isn't to far away. I put mine in the middle and my big albino will use it once to twice a week, and remember even if he doesn't go in it you will want need to change that water every day. If you start loseing a lot of heat and humidity you can cover like 3/4 to 2/3 of the top to trap it in. Just don't cover the whole top because he will need some airflow in the tank. one last observation is I would get a couple big leaf fake/real plants to give him some cover and make him feel more secure and put the tank on table or something. He will feel all the vibrations from movement etc through out the house through the floor and it will probably stress or scare him. There may be more advice but I had 2 wisdom teeth and 2 broken molars removed today( took a baseball to the side of face), so im having a hard time trying to think due to the enormous amount if discomfort its given me.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    I would cover 3 sides of the enclosure, your coco fibre is to dry. When you pick up the substrate you want it to clump in your fist but be dripping water. You want your heat to be around 82f during the day and let it drop a few degrees at night. Humidity needs around 75% to 80%. That's a pretty big tank so maybe put the water dish right in the middle that way what ever side he chooses to be on the water source isn't to far away. I put mine in the middle and my big albino will use it once to twice a week, and remember even if he doesn't go in it you will want need to change that water every day. If you start loseing a lot of heat and humidity you can cover like 3/4 to 2/3 of the top to trap it in. Just don't cover the whole top because he will need some airflow in the tank. one last observation is I would get a couple big leaf fake/real plants to give him some cover and make him feel more secure and put the tank on table or something. He will feel all the vibrations from movement etc through out the house through the floor and it will probably stress or scare him. There may be more advice but I had 2 wisdom teeth and 2 broken molars removed today( took a baseball to the side of face), so im having a hard time trying to think due to the enormous amount if discomfort its given me.
    Thanks for the advice! Will get some leaves and wet the fiber more you have a speedy recovery

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, feeling abit better so thought I would correct a couple things that maybe I didn't make clear due to the meds. L.O.L The coco fibre I meant to say you want it to clump in your hand, but you don't want it wet to the point its dripping water when you squeeze it. And for the leaves I meant to say grab a couple plants that have big leaves for him to hide under, I think from the way I put it lastnight you where thinking I meant something like a leaf litter that you would just lay on the substrate.

10. This member thanks monster for this post:

Hi, feeling abit better so thought I would correct a couple things that maybe I didn't make clear due to the meds. L.O.L The coco fibre I meant to say you want it to clump in your hand, but you don't want it wet to the point its dripping water when you squeeze it. And for the leaves I meant to say grab a couple plants that have big leaves for him to hide under, I think from the way I put it lastnight you where thinking I meant something like a leaf litter that you would just lay on the substrate.
    Hahaha I was thinking won't the substrate be too wet if it's dripping lol.. anyway I just got my frog yesterday and I tried feeling it some dusted earthworm but it doesn't seem to be interested. Is it due to stress?

I have moved the water bowl to the centre and mist about 3 full spray bottles but it is hiding there at the corner

13. This member thanks joshua123 for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Uhh, this is just me, I would add a hide so that he/she is not just sitting there with no cover. At least add a fern or vine over a spot where it can hide

15. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

The plants I suggested would give cover for him to hide under. I have put caves in my enclosures and mine barely ever go in it, they would rather bury under a nice big plant. Mine would actually bury beside the cave. If you want to cut down on the misting I would take all that substrate out and add a couple litres of water or what is suggested on the bag and then squeeze the water out till its not dripping and put it back in. I can see the bottom layer is still looking pretty dry. I would put a nice big plant on each side and the 3 sides covered will also reduce the stress and make his transition into his new home a little smoother.
    Last edited by monster; July 23rd, 2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: wrong wording

17. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

You could try a cave if you wanted, every frog is different. And being a year old he is fully grown so you wouldn't have to worry about him out growing it. Its worth a shot if you want to, and if not like a mentioned earlier the plants will make him feel more secure. Sometimes my big guy will just bury where ever he is when the lights come on doesn't matter if theres a plant or not, depends on if he feels like moveing or not. Oh and just to let you know you might want to grab yourself some digital gauges, those analog ones aren't the most accurate sometimes.

19. This member thanks monster for this post:

Ok thank you guys! Would be nice if u guys can post a pic of your tank so I can have some ideas hehe

Nationality
    [Canada]

If I feel abit better later and feel up to it I will take a couple pics of my tanks and post them for ya. And if not tonight I will post some tomorrow. Oh and he is probably in that corner because the towel is blocking out the light from the room.

22. This member thanks monster for this post:

If I feel abit better later and feel up to it I will take a couple pics of my tanks and post them for ya. And if not tonight I will post some tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help! Guess I got to do some mixing to make sure all the substrate is moist

What u guys think?

Bought a mini pot for my frog to hide and covered the tank with a black cloth, what u guys think ?

26. This member thanks joshua123 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

So here is how I have my new baby setup, the 2nd picture is not the best but my phone is garbage for pictures. Its only a ten gallon tank and I have it divided in 2 to make it smaller for him so he feels more secure. I have that nice one big fake plant and the other 3 leaved one there in the corner, when the lights come on they block some of the light to make it look shady for him. And all im using at the moment for light is the ceiling light in the room. Now you will have abit of an idea of what to look for when out buying plants. I will get a picture of my 20 gallon with my big guy tomorrow, I started cleaning it today and took out some of plants and but my mouth is feeling pretty crappy today so I had to stop and finish tomorrow.I

28. 2 members thank monster for this post:

So here is how I have my new baby setup, the 2nd picture is not the best but my phone is garbage for pictures. Its only a ten gallon tank and I have it divided in 2 to make it smaller for him so he feels more secure. I have that nice one big fake plant and the other 3 leaved one there in the corner, when the lights come on they block some of the light to make it look shady for him. And all im using at the moment for light is the ceiling light in the room. Now you will have abit of an idea of what to look for when out buying plants. I will get a picture of my 20 gallon with my big guy tomorrow, I started cleaning it today and took out some of plants and but my mouth is feeling pretty crappy today so I had to stop and finish tomorrow.I
    Thanks! I heard my frog croaking many times in the morning, so I assume it's a male? And how big can a male albino cranwelli get?

30. This member thanks joshua123 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh and you will want to move your gauge down so it is about an inch above the substrate. Remember hot air rises, and you want to know what temp he is feeling on the ground not at the top. There will be a slight difference when you move it. Im not an expert or anything but I think a male Cranwelli grows to about in between 4 and 5 inches but I think its closer to 4, the females are bigger. The C. Ornata grows larger then the C Cranwelli.

32. This member thanks monster for this post:

Oh and you will want to move your gauge down so it is about an inch above the substrate. Remember hot air rises, and you want to know what temp he is feeling on the ground not at the top. There will be a slight difference when you move it. Im not an expert or anything but I think a male Cranwelli grows to about in between 4 and 5 inches but I think its closer to 4, the females are bigger. The C. Ornata grows larger then the C Cranwelli.
    Ok thanks alot bro! The seller told me he kept the frog for about a year so I'm guessing this is his maximum size rigjt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information