Thread: ACF stunted?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default ACF stunted?

I have four ACFs total. My first two grew in a year to a good size while my newer ones have barely grown in 7months. I feed them a mix of worms and reptomin and they're in a 10 gallon.
    these frogs in question were given as a gift from the dollar store. Could this have something to do with my problem?
    ~children~
    Ксениа, a beautiful yet mischievous calico cat.
    Cecil & Carlos, two active and growing little froglettes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF stunted?

Some frogs just grow slower and/or are runts. In the wild those frogs would be eaten or likely not survive to be frogs. Our human interference often keeps these kind of animals alive. I have one male that is still pretty tiny. He is 3 years old now and 3/4 the size of my other male and less than half the size of my females. I kept him in his own tank for the first year before I just decided sink or swim and put him in general population. He did fine and runs with everyone like they are all the same size.

4. This member thanks rodsboys for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I just want to make sure I read correctly that all 4 are in a 10 gallon? Or are just two in a 10 gallon?

To be honest, 10 gallons is the bare minimum for one ACF so water quality may be playing an issue here if they are all in the same tank.
    Is it filtered? Any live plants? How often and how much water do you change with the water changes?

A balance of genetics (like Tony and ACF I have had in the past) and environment play a huge roll in the development of these frogs.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    I just want to make sure I read correctly that all 4 are in a 10 gallon? Or are just two in a 10 gallon?

To be honest, 10 gallons is the bare minimum for one ACF so water quality may be playing an issue here if they are all in the same tank.
    Is it filtered? Any live plants? How often and how much water do you change with the water changes?

A balance of genetics (like Tony and ACF I have had in the past) and environment play a huge roll in the development of these frogs.
    Two are in a twenty the small two that still look like babies are in a 10 gallon. Both are appropriately filtered with weekly partial water changes. For plants I have some marimo as my frogs dig in the substrate. I'm wondering if it's genetics or they are just slow growers as previously suggested.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    ~children~
    Ксениа, a beautiful yet mischievous calico cat.
    Cecil & Carlos, two active and growing little froglettes

Nationality
    [United States]

Just a thought, but are your big frogs girls? With my frogs, I have noticed that girls grow faster than the boys. Also, what temp do you keep your frogs? Lower temps can slow down growth a bit. I keep my tanks at 72 degrees F which gives them a steady growth rate.

Thread Information