Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Eastern and Rough-skinned newts

Looking for Eastern newts and Rough-skinned newts. Preferably cb, but will take anything I can get. For the eastern newt species, efts will be gladly appreciated as well. Putting scientific names in as well

Eastern newt: Notophthalmus viridescens

Rough-skinned newt: Taricha granulosa

Thanks for reading

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eastern and Rough-skinned newts

You might be able to find them at a local plant nursery if they carry pond supplies and fish accessories. Where I'm from they used to come in every summer for around 10 years until the nursery stopped for some unknown reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I can ask the guy hear that owns the reptile shop if he knows where to find them or if he could get his hands on some if you would like. I know we are in two different countries but if they allow it I could pick them up for you and send them to you. Im not sure how the shipping over boarders works, and if that's not possible maybe he could tell me where they would comeing from and you could pick them up if not to far or you could contact the place and get them to ship them to you and do the transaction yourself. I have to go there tomorrow to pick up some crickets and hornworms so I will ask, hes pretty good at finding specific animals for people. I will shoot you a PM tomorrow night and let you know.

5. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, so just wanted to let you know that I asked him and he said he will look around and give me a shout by the end of week. From my understanding he said that he hasn't seen these species on the market in awhile and they are very rare these days to find in stores. He said unless you know a private breeder they aren't the easiest newts to find, but he said he had couple ideas of some places he may be able to find them. So I will let you as soon as I hear something but cant promise or guarantee anything. He had these 2 absolutely stunning CB Red Tegus in there today that are supposed to be hard to get in Canada so that gives me some hope he may be able to find the newts.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

So I went in there today to buy some silk worms and had a chance to talk to him quick. He said the people that used to have them were he thought he could find them don't have anymore so he wasn't able to find none yet. He told me he will keep his eyes and ears open for them. He said he also asked a couple guys that he deals with on a regular basis for frogs and toads etc that are more amphibian dealers to keep there ears open also. He loves his big reptiles like snakes and monitors and iguanas so hes able to get that stuff a lot easier. I then asked him if he does find them to not buy right away to let me know were they will be comeing from so I can see if they are reputable person or not and he said no problem. Sorry no luck but hopefully if you don't find any this guy will sometime soon. He had some of those ghost frogs a couple weeks back that live in one place in the world and are so hard to get because they live up high in cliffs and crevices of this mountain and they were captive bred, so if he knows someone who has those I imagine that same guy should be able to get his hands on some of these newts. The frogs were sold before he even got them to the store so they were on hold. I will keep bugging him for ya till he gives me a definite yes or no answer.
    Last edited by monster; August 4th, 2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Eastern newt

Have you tried:

http://www.wholesaleexotics.com/amph...-for-sale.html

https://www.wardsci.com/store/catalo..._number=878125

http://www.carolina.com/newt/newt-li...d=&mCat=&sCat=
    (will have to contact them to see if it is Notophthalmus viridescens)

Other retailers state they are out of stock.

I have no experience using these wholesaleexotics, I suggest contacting them before ordering....they may be same company as backwater reptiles which some have had problems with.

Carolina and Wards are scientific supply companies....they have good reps, but remember they are scientific supply companies and aren't really pet retailers.

As I mentioned above, contact Carolina Biologicals to see what their newts are.....they could be eastern spotted Notophthalmus viridescens)
    Wards science's page says Notophthalmus viridescens

11. This member thanks Tzunu un for this post:

Thread Information