Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: African Dwarf Frog Death

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Dwarf Frog Death

Just to add in my two cents - you mentioned possibly getting another/more frogs in a few weeks time. Please make sure to quarantine all new additions so that your current frogs stay healthy Even if they come from the same store - they can be exposed to unknown diseases as each shipment of fish/frogs comes in to the store.

Minimum quarantine should be 30 days....the longer the better!
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I have never heard bloodworms cause bloat in African Dwarf Frogs. All things being equal though it doesn't surprise me and adding variety is never a bad idea. I think I'm going to buy some frozen Mysis and Glass worms to add to the diet. I've only ever owned 4 of these guys and the deaths have come from physical trauma (1 caught in a filter and 1 with a cleaning accident).
    I've seen it mentioned tons of times actually. I had a few frogs get it from just a few feedings some years ago when I introduced it to my rotation and ran out of other foods for a short while. Here is one article that mentions it. I don't believe it is scientifically proven yet and the cause is not certain as some believe it is from bacteria in the stomach of the worms and other believe the indigestible parts of the worms may cause it.
    http://www.clawedfrogs.com/disease-illness.html

4. This member thanks rodsboys for this post:

Thanks guys. And Do you think it would be detrimental to quarantine 1 frog in a 1 gallon tank for 30 days or more with frequent water changes and Prime water conditioning treatment? Will it get stressed from the limited space?

Also, Wanted to show you guys my frogs:

Nationality
    [United States]

I would add a few more plants, live or silk (I get paranoid about the sharp edges on most plastic ones). The more they feel like ha safe places to hide the more they will come out.

I would buy 2 frogs, they stress out alone. A at doesn't need to be pretty, you could use a rubbermade tote with some fake plants and a heater. But it dues need to be bigger than 1 gallon. If you half filled an 18 gallon tote and changed a little water every day you could get away with no filter even.

so you think 4 frogs in my 5.5 gallon is doable?

Nationality
    [United States]

With the right maintenance and no other fish 4-5 would be what I am personally comfortable with.

In your opinion, do you think eventually 4 frogs with a betta would be okay? Once the tank is cycled and with proper maintenance?

or is there any other type of fish or animal that would do well in such a setting?

Nationality
    [United States]

I am rethinking keeping frogs with bettas. I think it is too hard to make sure they both get the proper diet.

13. This member thanks DanB for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have never had as much success with dwarf frogs as when they had their own setups to themselves. I have tried various tank mates in the past including bettas. Some were decent, some bad. Having done all of that and gotten it out of my system though, I am adamant that a species only setup is the way to go. You can completely cater to the frogs that way without even the slightest detraction from their needs and comfort. Water quality, food selection, feeding, filtration, temperature, breeding.....all better in a species only setup.
    As far as stocking goes; I have seen "requirements" posted online for up to 5 gallons per frog. Personally I think that is ridiculous. I have always went with 1 - 1.5 gallons per frog in a species only setup and had great success.

15. This member thanks rodsboys for this post:

Hello

I would keep 4 frogs in a 5 gallons, species only tank is always better for frogs. I have 7 in a 10 gallons, living with a cory, with a lot of live plants and will upgrade for a 15 gallons soon, I have too many plants, they need more flippers room. If I were you, I would wait for my tank to cycle before adding more frogs(keep up with water change) and as Jen mentionned quarantine is important (I had two in a Kritter Keeper(1.5 gallons) for 3 months with a filter and heater) hope this help!

17. 2 members thank MadameGrenouille for this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information