Thread: Bullfrog Traumatic Experience

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Bullfrog Traumatic Experience

Speedie almost got eaten by the big guy. he grabed her back leg and did not want to let go. it was hard to get them apart. she has not grown much in the last year. He has more than doubled and is now almost 2 lbs. I put speedie in a new aquarium and it is all plants and peat moss with a water dish that she can sit in up to her eyes. I don't think she likes it.

I would like to turn the 30 gallon cube into an aquatic tank with two flower pots with water plants in them. that way speedie can swim and climb into the flower pot to dry out and hide under the plants. She used to do that in the large environment the two bullfrogs were in. Most of the time she did not get onto shore... she hid in the flower pots in the pool.

Does this sound like a good environment for her... I can put the crickets in the flower pots... and she can eat the minnows while swimming. I would do a 50/50 but she would drag all the dirt into the aquatic section and I would be cleaning daily.

Tell me what you think about a good habitat for her.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Bullfrog Traumatic Experience

It should be alright - it depends on how nervous she is versus the size of the tank. I've got to say, I saw that attempted cannibalism coming a long time ago.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

I would love to see a pic of her setup, if possible. I am in the midst of planning Poe's new tank and I am coming up blank. I think I am going to set him up in a 25 gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is Poe an bullfrog... how long have you had him... how big is he? what do you feed him?

I will post a picture when I get home tonight... the one environment is very nice... its a 4' by 4' wooden box lined with heavy plastic. then a pool that is almost 3' X 3' from petsmart in the corner of one side. then topsoil around the pool. plants, sticks, with 4' plexiglass walls... grow lights and water plants in clay pots. one large filter for the water. I put crawdads, goldfish, crickets and baby mice in for them to eat.

But now I need a small tank for my female. I am so mad at the male... he had her whole leg... I am glad I saw it and was able to get her out of his mouth.

I am thinking of turning the 30 gallon cube into a fish tank with the water 1/2 way up the glass... putting 2 clay pots with sand and plants for her to bed down in. maybe a piece of drift wood for her to climb on or hide behind in the water.... she likes to hide... I am now thinking she liked to hide because she was afraid of the big guy... Oh well... at least she is not harmed and in good shape. She is eating well.

Jace

I'm glad your female is okay. Good thing you were there. Maybe now that she is away from the aggressive male, she will be more willing to be out and about. I plan on doing an outdoor enclosure for Poe next summer. By then, he will be full morphed and big enough to be outside. I recently accepted two new tadpoles, but I am not sure if I am going to keep them....

Thread Information