Thread: Sick White Lip Green Tree Frogs

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default Sick White Lip Green Tree Frogs

Hi there!

I work at Petstock (Australia) and I'm getting quite a few customers coming in saying that they have found a variety of frogs in their bunch of bananas from the grocery store or fruit and vegetable stores. They are all very skinny and are refusing to eat. One particular customer has been trying for the last 2 weeks to get one little guy to eat but to no avail. She has set up a great vivarium with the correct humidity and temperatures, with a basic setup. The vets have said that there is nothing they can do. I have suggested honey baths and hand feeding. The baths have helped a little it seems, as in he seems to perk up a little bit but it is temporary. He has done one visible poo in his water bowl in the last week but that is all we have been able to see. The last I spoke with her, the little frog seems very weak and struggles to keep his eyes open.

I fear the worse at this stage. She did hear a rumour, I'm not sure if this is true, that they spray the trucks with the bananas on them to kill off any insects. If this is true, the poor frog would have copped this.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions? Or is it too late?

It's a great privilege to have customer's like Lauren, and as of recent - it has been rare, to have customers who really want to do the right thing and be responsible with animals. So I would really like to help her.

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick White Lip Green Tree Frogs

Sad situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the bananas were sprayed. All I can suggest is to change the dechlorinated water in the bowl frequently to try to flush out some toxins and keep trying to tempt the frogs with bugs. Waxworms if you can find them are kind of like donuts for frogs- lots of calories and the frogs seem to like them a lot.

You can also try putting bugs in a cup or bowl about six or seven cm tall. For some reason crickets have trouble jumping out of them and you can leave the cup in the tank so the frogs can get at the bugs any time they want.

It may be too late, I hope not, but it sounds like your customers are kind people.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do you have something like pedialyte in AU? It's an electrolyte drink for infants and children who are ill. I would recommend doing some soaks in a clear, unflavored version of it. Doesn't sound good though
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Australia]

Thank you Amy and Elly! I will suggest these things! I don't believe we have pedialyte in stores but we have some sort of equiviants hopefully something works! I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again

Thread Information