Thread: Plant and lighting questions

Exclamation Plant and lighting questions

Hi it might pull through oh and sorry to the moderator before hand but does anyone know about my problem? So my mom has a tank with adf's and they are ok two Molly's are in with them and the Molly's were just found out to be male and female if u know what i mean so they have live plants in with them some bamboo ( not the bad stuff but some i grew myself ) and a half tube for hiding with plants on it that I acquired from petco the bamboo was ok and still is but some of the leaves are dying and turning brown on the half tube . I have frogs along with my mom but I also keep reptiles and I love my gecko murph so I have special bulbs for him. So I was wondering is I could use the bulb for the plants sorry again to the moderator but I don't know where else to put it and thanks to any responses

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Emergency- ADF Bloated and Floating on Top of Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Firebellyman View Post
    Hi it might pull through oh and sorry to the moderator before hand but does anyone know about my problem? So my mom has a tank with adf's and they are ok two Molly's are in with them and the Molly's were just found out to be male and female if u know what i mean so they have live plants in with them some bamboo ( not the bad stuff but some i grew myself ) and a half tube for hiding with plants on it that I acquired from petco the bamboo was ok and still is but some of the leaves are dying and turning brown on the half tube . I have frogs along with my mom but I also keep reptiles and I love my gecko murph so I have special bulbs for him. So I was wondering is I could use the bulb for the plants sorry again to the moderator but I don't know where else to put it and thanks to any responses
    Hi Firebellyman, you should post this in your own thread so it can be better seen and responded to. Bamboo is not meant to be a submerged plant and it is dying from being in too deep water. It is sold as an aquatic decor as it takes a long time for damage to occur from being submerged. If the special bulbs are heat lamps / uv lamps I would not use them as their purpose is not designated for being around/over an aquarium and there is extra electrical shock risk.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

4. 2 members thank Jenste for this post:

Default Re: Emergency- ADF Bloated and Floating on Top of Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Hi Firebellyman, you should post this in your own thread so it can be better seen and responded to. Bamboo is not meant to be a submerged plant and it is dying from being in too deep water. It is sold as an aquatic decor as it takes a long time for damage to occur from being submerged. If the special bulbs are heat lamps / uv lamps I would not use them as their purpose is not designated for being around/over an aquarium and there is extra electrical shock risk.
    ok thank you I appreciate it so no bamboo but for the log is a deep dome lamp with a ordinary bulb ok? Thanks

Default Re: Plant and lighting questions

If you intend on growing live aquatic plants, you will need some form of lighting that has a color temp of around 6500k. This number is normally listed on the packaging of the bulb. The plants do not require uv lighting, so a standard cfl (spiral) bulb will work. It won't give off the intensity to support a lot of plants, but should be ok for a few low light requirement plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia