Thread: Red eyed tree frog vs amazon milk frog!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red eyed tree frog vs amazon milk frog!!!

Which one should i get i want a pair(male and female) for a 29 gallon tank. What species are easier,cooler,freindlier,and all around better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog vs amazon milk frog!!!

While it's hard to think of a more beautiful frog than a Red Eye, the Amazon Milk Frog is fantastic pet. Here's my thoughts on some comparisons:

Ease of care?

RETF are less tolerant of temperature and humidity fluctuations than Milks and are generally rather more fragile. Milks are a tougher animal and more forgiving if you accidentally get something wrong.

Cooler?

As a display animal, a Milk Frog will be seen sitting out and sometimes even active during the day (if food's around!), a RETF will be curled up on a leaf or the glass and won't move a muscle or open it's eyes as long as it's daylight. Both are very active at night and can be viewed with night lighting, but you won't see the RETF's famous colours of course!

Friendlier?

While it's not recommended to handle any amphibian unless necessary, a Milk Frog is a lot more tolerant of being handled. RETFs are extremely easy to stress and stress is a killer to frogs. Milk Frogs have no qualms about eating in front of you or even from your hand, I almost never see my RETFs eat, they are much shyer.

All round better?

Well it's subjective obviously, but the best beginner frog of the two in my opinion is the Milk Frog. Their boisterous personalities and easier care win for me. But as I said, the RETF sure is a beautiful animal!

One more thing on getting a pair, RETFs won't often exhibit breeding behaviour unless you've induced it (put them in a rain chamber) Milk Frogs however will (I've bred mine many times and they've never been in a chamber). When a male Milk Frog calls, you don't want to be trying to sleep in the same room. Or house. Or state............
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

4. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog vs amazon milk frog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    While it's hard to think of a more beautiful frog than a Red Eye, the Amazon Milk Frog is fantastic pet. Here's my thoughts on some comparisons:

Ease of care?

RETF are less tolerant of temperature and humidity fluctuations than Milks and are generally rather more fragile. Milks are a tougher animal and more forgiving if you accidentally get something wrong.

Cooler?

As a display animal, a Milk Frog will be seen sitting out and sometimes even active during the day (if food's around!), a RETF will be curled up on a leaf or the glass and won't move a muscle or open it's eyes as long as it's daylight. Both are very active at night and can be viewed with night lighting, but you won't see the RETF's famous colours of course!

Friendlier?

While it's not recommended to handle any amphibian unless necessary, a Milk Frog is a lot more tolerant of being handled. RETFs are extremely easy to stress and stress is a killer to frogs. Milk Frogs have no qualms about eating in front of you or even from your hand, I almost never see my RETFs eat, they are much shyer.

All round better?

Well it's subjective obviously, but the best beginner frog of the two in my opinion is the Milk Frog. Their boisterous personalities and easier care win for me. But as I said, the RETF sure is a beautiful animal!

One more thing on getting a pair, RETFs won't often exhibit breeding behaviour unless you've induced it (put them in a rain chamber) Milk Frogs however will (I've bred mine many times and they've never been in a chamber). When a male Milk Frog calls, you don't want to be trying to sleep in the same room. Or house. Or state............
    Thanks, i kinda am leaning towards the milks now... I want to put them in a 55 gallon viv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information