Thread: caring for a wild injured toad

Default caring for a wild injured toad

I found a toad on the side of the road a couple of weeks ago. He looked horribly injured. He has a small hole in his face and torn flesh around his mouth and head and he is missing a eye. Looks like he had a run in with a dog or wild animal.
    I felt bad for him got a paper bag and have kept him in a plastic tub on my porch. I am giving him spring water and meal worms.
    He began to recover so i let him go. four days later he was back in front of my house not moving.
    I put him back in the tub and fed him again now he looks strong and is healing even more.
    Should I keep him or put him back in the wild. He seems strong now but still seems blind and not able to get around easy.
    One eye looks good and i think he can see from it but i am not sure.
    Any advice would be a great help.- David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: caring for a wild injured toad

That is very sad. Here is a basic first aid article by another member, Paul Rust- http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=2743
    If you think he will be able to care for himself once he heals I would let him go when he is better. If not I would keep him. I suggest giving him a honey bath (fill a small dish with lukewarm water no deeper than the frog's chin and dissolve about a teaspoon of honey then place the frog in for 15 minutes.) Honey has antifungal and antibacterial properties and the sugars will give him a bit of an energy boost I would also switch to nightcrawlers as a staple instead of mealworms since they don't have much nutritional value.

I may be pretty heartless, but I'd send it back on it's way. You've given it a fighting chance, it will either learn to cope with it's injuries or make a meal for something larger (and that's not necessarily bad, just life). If you do decide to keep it, make sure you are ready to commit to given proper care to a disabled toad for the rest of it's life (which could be several years).

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I may be pretty heartless, but I'd send it back on it's way. You've given it a fighting chance, it will either learn to cope with it's injuries or make a meal for something larger (and that's not necessarily bad, just life). If you do decide to keep it, make sure you are ready to commit to given proper care to a disabled toad for the rest of it's life (which could be several years).
    I am considering both options. thanks chester

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    That is very sad. Here is a basic first aid article by another member, Paul Rust- http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=2743
    If you think he will be able to care for himself once he heals I would let him go when he is better. If not I would keep him. I suggest giving him a honey bath (fill a small dish with lukewarm water no deeper than the frog's chin and dissolve about a teaspoon of honey then place the frog in for 15 minutes.) Honey has antifungal and antibacterial properties and the sugars will give him a bit of an energy boost I would also switch to nightcrawlers as a staple instead of mealworms since they don't have much nutritional value.
    thank you so much Sherry. getting a honey bath ready now. and will be getting higher quality food. going to treat the wound and consider what to do later.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You are welcome! I guess I have a weakness for injured animals I hope you will keep us updated on his recovery if you decide to keep him!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    You are welcome! I guess I have a weakness for injured animals I hope you will keep us updated on his recovery if you decide to keep him!
    I still am having a hard time deciding being that i released him once but he came back.
    There is a park not far from me that has a small river and I could let him go there I am sue there are plenty of bugs for him.
    I think his problem is depth perception being he is missing a eye.
    I gave him iodine and neosporin cream.
    I was told by the wild life hotline those were ok.
    Got him some crickets. Give it a few more days before i decide.

9. This member thanks dave6 for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you do keep him, you will need a permanent set-up for him, make sure if you do that he has all of his essentials!

Thread Information