Thread: Feeling inadequate :/

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy Feeling inadequate :/

So, I am so new to frogs and terrariums/vivariums, etc. I have two whites tree frogs in a 12x12x18 tank.
    I was told this was a perfect size and they would never need a larger tank, as long as I didn't add anymore (and I don't plan on it). However, after reading around the forum, I'm guessing this isn't the case. My two guys are fairly small, one is about an inch and a half or so, and they other is about an inch larger.

I did some research before purchasing (looked stuff up online for a week, got everyone set up, then purchase the frogs). But, they were still an impulse purchase, to be honest. I am trying to make myself feel somewhat better by reminding myself there were about 10 of them in a tank that might have been 10x10x10, so surely they are happier here! Lol And, we are already planning to upgrade their tank as soon as possible.

They have appeared very healthy, on a good note, since we got them (have had them for about 3 weeks). They love to eat and will leap around their tank to catch their food. They also soak every night in their water dish. Tons of poop in the enclosure as well.

I do wish I had known more before jumping in and I hope I don't do anything that is too disastrous. I want them to have a habitat that is appropriate, but, it is overwhelming! I started out with a large log, a large plant, water dish, vine, and something else in there and they weren't digging it. I took out everything except the plant, vine and dish and they seem much happier. They hated the log! The bottom is currently Eco earth substrate, however, I am changing over to a liner due to one of the frogs eating a big mouthful of the substrate when going for a cricket and scaring me (I posted about this and got some good advice). However, I see the vivariums, and the terrariums with the layered bottom, and I just don't know how to do this stuff yet. Plus, how in the world do you clean it?!

I hope my frogs aren't holding all of my ignorance too much against me! Lol
    on a better note, they are so flipping cute, I can't stand it!!

sorry this got so long, everyone!

2. This member thanks Sj111296 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeling inadequate :/

No worries, Sj, we all start somewhere and a lot is learned by trial and error. All the research you have done is good too; you never quit learning Feel free to ask any questions you like as you go along, myself and other froggle fans would love to help!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

5. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I didn't know anything when I first came here and I still don't know that much but I am still learning I like to try to help others with what I have learned here. You should feel good because you are researching proper care and are willing to learn, and like Thumper said, feel free to ask questions!

Your tank size is definitely small for the long term, but they should be fine until you can save up for a larger vivarium that will last their lifetime. When you do upgrade, you can keep your 12x12x18 as a spare tank for quarantine purposes, so nothing is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj111296 View Post
    However, I see the vivariums, and the terrariums with the layered bottom, and I just don't know how to do this stuff yet. Plus, how in the world do you clean it?!
    Some will have drain holes, others will have a way to send a flexible tube in through the top to siphon out water like you would a fish tank. They're called "False Bottoms" if you want to google the term you'll find hundreds of references.

8. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Thread Information