Thread: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? :o

Default Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? :o

So last weekend I took some gray tree frog tadpoles out of my pool. At that time, they didn't have any legs (not even in their tails). By Thursday, they all had full-grown legs. But the tadpoles in the pool still don't have any legs in their tails at all. And What is stranger still, this morning, none of my tadpoles had arms. But when I came home, one of them had spontaneously grown full grown arms!!! And when I fished him out, he jumped off of my scooper. I freaked out and put it in another tank with some soaked paper towels at the bottom. But...none of my other tadpoles have arms at all!!! Any explanations? And should I keep the one with arms in the new aquarium without feeding him until he absorbs his tail? Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? :o

Could it be a different species? Maybe it was further along in development? Maybe being in captivity with more food and no predators made it grow faster, I don't really know

It couldn't be a different species, they are all identical. Maybe it is because they are in captivity. But tonight is the little fellow's last night before I release him, I have some very damp places in my yard that no predators can get to.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Likely is the extra food, temperature difference, less competition, etc.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Exactly as above, more food and higher temperature equals faster growth. The spontaneous arm appearance is one of the miracles of the tadpole, the arms grow under the skin and when they're ready they suddenly pop out fully grown! If you're lucky and you watch then a lot you can sometimes see it happening. Amazing!
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

7. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

Well I woke up this morning and the little guy is almost finished! He has turned the shade of green you see of the baby frogs, and he almost has no tail left

9. 2 members thank Revosok for this post:

Thread Information