Thread: Toadlet Not Eating??

Default Toadlet Not Eating??

I have two wild caught toadlets, either American or Fowler toadlets as I am in Michigan. I am attempting to feed them fruit flies and it seems like toadlet A is eating as he was plump looking last night, but toadlet B is extremely skinny. Toadlet B doesn't seem interested in the fruit flies and walks after them but then turns around and leaves without even trying to eat them. Is there a specific method I should be using to try to feed them or is there anything else I can try to feed to him? This morning they both seemed skinny, so am I just worrying over nothing?

Toadlet A Last Night

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toadlet Not Eating??

I would put your feeders in a dish so that they can't get away. If it still doesn't eat, feed wax-worms, they are very enticing

The toadlets are about the size of my pinky nail right now, so I don't know if waxworms are available small enough for them to eat. What kind of dish can the fruit flies not climb up the sides? I thought of that, but they can climb out of the dish I put them in.

Nationality
    [Canada]

How long have you had the toads? Can you post a picture of both toads and enclosure? I use small glass dishes from the dollar store for crickets but I'm not sure if that would work for fruit flies... Also, before you feed you can put the fruit flies in the fridge for about 10 minutes and that will slow them down and make them easier for the toadlets to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    How long have you had the toads? Can you post a picture of both toads and enclosure? I use small glass dishes from the dollar store for crickets but I'm not sure if that would work for fruit flies... Also, before you feed you can put the fruit flies in the fridge for about 10 minutes and that will slow them down and make them easier for the toadlets to catch.
    I'll have had them for 5 days, today. The fruit flies climb out of anything I put them in. I've left fruit flies in their tank with them in the hopes he would eat, but he isn't. He wouldn't even go after the food yesterday. I'm afraid that he will probably be dead when I get home. The other toadlet seems to be doing fine though. Their tank has reptile dirt with a very shallow pond and a decoration for them to hide under, which toadlet B, the one who isn't eating, has dug himself a nice hole under.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It sounds like he may be stressed. Wild caught frogs and toads tend to not do very well in captivity. I would cover 3 sides of the enclosure with dark construction paper or some dark fabric and move the tank into a low traffic area if you haven't already and add more plants and hides. If there are more places to hide he may be more comfortable to venture out and hopefully start feeding.

Thread Information