Thread: Recommendation for Terrarium?

Default Recommendation for Terrarium?

Can anyone give a recommendation for a terrarium that can fit one 1 1/2 inch Pacman frogs comfortably with room to spare?
    Last edited by Revosok; June 16th, 2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: edits

2. This member thanks Revosok for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Recommendation for Terrarium?

You don't plan to keep them together do you? If so I would strongly recommend not to do so because it will not end well for one of them. But if not pacs that small you could split 10 gallon into 2 with a divider so they cant see each other. Or maybe a 20 high split in 2 but I wouldn't go any bigger then that for pacs that small, out of all honesty I would split a 10 for now.

Wow, thank you for your advice, I would not have known otherwise. I think I'll go with a 10 gallon tank with one frog. But do you have any recommendations for a specific tank that has all the requirements for a Pacman frog? Would this tank be fine? http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/terr...pfm%3Dcategory

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem, ya which ever one grows the fastest he would more then likely try to eat the smaller one, and if he cant get him down the hatch he would seriously hurt the smaller. Or if the smaller one was to big to swallow the bigger guy may not be able to release him because of there 2 big teeth in the front of there mouth and he could choke, resulting in losing both frogs maybe. And ya the 10 would house the 2 right now at that size if you split it. After a few months when they get abit bigger you could put them in there own 10s and if they are both male if you place things properly and don't over crowd the tank some people will house them in the 10 there whole life. When full adults the biggest most people go is about a 20 gallon for one, and if its a cranwelli you probably really don't really need that, I would put a full grown C. ornata in a 20.

Is this tank: http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/terr...pfm%3Dcategory (10 gallon version) okay for this frog's entire life-span? http://www.lllreptile.com/products/2...-pac-man-frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

So the pacman in the picture is an albino C. cranwelli. The tank says it is 5.5 us gallons, you would need at least a ten. At the size they are at if you get the 10 for abit more money and split it that leaves them with each 5 gallons and they will be good in there for at least for a couple more months if they are only 1 1/2 inches. Then in a couple months you can purchase another one and give them there own tank. In that time you could probably find a cheap second hand one somewhere for like $5 to $10 bucks. If you choose to do a split just make sure again that what ever you use as a divider that you cant see threw at all. The divider doesn't just play the part of referee for fights but also if they see each other it may stress them out, and if they get really stressed it really lowers there immune system making them acceptable to all sorts of other problems. And really all you need for them in there enclosure if you go with a split ten is small water dish big enough for him to turn in and maybe a small silk plant or something for him to hide under and get out of they the light if he wants to. And no moss because these guys don't have the best aim and the moss if digested is a huge impaction risk. Hope I was able to help you abit.

They sell two sizes on that page (5.5 gallons and 10 gallons), which are currently the same price. And I will only by one frog, because having two in one tank sound like more trouble than it is worth. In my last post I was asking if the albino C. cranwelli. would be able to fit in the 10 gallon tank for it's entire life. Thank you, by the way, for all the information.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya it could live in there its whole life if its a male forsure, most male Cranwellis max out at about 4 inches. If its a female they grow abit bigger and could probably live in one but I would get a 20 gallon in the future if its female. I think it would be the right thing to do if it ended up being female but again a lot of people just stick with the ten. Even with the one frog you could still put the divider in to make it a 5 for him for the time being because in a lot of cases that amount of space stresses the little guys out then they don't want to eat for you or they bury themselves to feel secure and wont come back out till you dig him up. Again in a few months when its bigger just pull the divider out and you got your 10 back. A lot of people keep babies in a medium size critter keeper for the first couple months thats how little of room they will use.

Thanks, that sounds like a fine idea. Could I just use a piece of cardboard as the divider?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would use something plastic or glass, or even plexi glass. with all the humidity and and misting you would be changing that piece of cardboard everyday if not a couple times a day.

Okay, thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]

I keep the brown version in a little sterlite container right now at 2". Poked enough holes in the top for ventilation and the levels have been great. I mist once a day and it gets some heat from my 20h beside it with a infrared 50w
    About 24" from the top on the container. Eats canadian night crawlers cut in half like a champ. I do clean its container once a week, but its easy and doesn't take much eco earth. Theyre pretty messy and I dont want it absorbing ammonia from its urine.

With the albino do not use a regular reptile heat bulb. You need infrared no more than 50w or a che. A regular heating bulb will burn your albinos skin and eyes.

Thread Information