Thread: Ah! My sick pacman frog has two red bumps on his underside :(

Default Ah! My sick pacman frog has two red bumps on his underside :(

Hey guys, I posted a thread about a week ago about a problem my frog has been having. I've been giving him antibiotics, but as of now the problem persists, although his appetite is back.

I've noticed he's been shedding a lot more than normal lately, and when I turned him over to check for redness I instead found two small red bumps on his otherwise white stomach. What the heck is this? Does anyone know? I've been googling it but the closest I could find was an unresolved similar problem posted here a while ago. I've been feeding him nightcrawlers. Please help

I'd describe them more as sores than bumps actually, they're irregular in size and red, though not bleeding.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Ah! My sick pacman frog has two red bumps on his underside :(

Can you post a picture of the red places? In cases like this a picture is worth a thousand words. Typically a red place indicates either a wound or infection; since you're giving him antibiotics my guess is it's related to whatever infection those were for. Especially if the places are open sores, you need to change out his bedding and put him on paper towels moistened with treated water. These will need to be changed every day, but you don't want bedding getting into sores and irritating them.
    Since he's already been prescribed meds, you may want to let the vet know about this and see if they recommend a change in treatment.
    As far as things you can do at home, you can apply painkiller-free (this is very important; the painkillers will kill a frog) neosporin to open wounds to prevent infection.
    It's hard to give more advice without pics though.

I didn't see the post about the swelling when you first made it, but IMO it doesn't look normal. I can't think of a specific problem that it would be, it just looks a little off to me. Normal fluid retention in pacs is usually symmetrical and not just on the one side like that.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Thanks for the quick response!

Here's the best pic I can get, he doesn't like being upside down. I think the coloring around the legs and belly is normal, it just looks a little red because of the lighting in my room. What I'm concerned about is sorta between his thumb and index finger on his right hand.

I've changed the bedding for now, will call again tomorrow.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hm... That looks to me like it could be related to an infection. It would probably be a good idea to call the vet and ask if they want to change the treatment at all; sometimes they will allow you to send in a picture for something like a frog that gets super stressed by transport and tell you whether or not they think an office visit is necessary.

I don't see how applying painkiller-free neosporin to the area would hurt anything, so you could always try that too.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Hm... That looks to me like it could be related to an infection. It would probably be a good idea to call the vet and ask if they want to change the treatment at all; sometimes they will allow you to send in a picture for something like a frog that gets super stressed by transport and tell you whether or not they think an office visit is necessary.

I don't see how applying painkiller-free neosporin to the area would hurt anything, so you could always try that too.
    Sounds like a plan to me. Thank you!

Thread Information