Thread: Can anyone identify these without photos

Bill B

Default Can anyone identify these without photos

I had two mysterious species - one of one, and two of the other. I have successfully lost the two of the really mysterious ones. First one disappeard when I opened a lunchmeat container a few days ago. Yesterday, I opened the bucket, which had been convered with a layer or screen then a box on top of that, to show someone the remaining individual.

I AM ABSENTMINDED! I did not cover the bucket well. The little critter escaped, probably right after that yesterday. I noticed the top on wrong and the critter missing todday.

The species looks a lot like what I have been calling spring peepers, but climbs better than peepers, and is smaller than peepers, and has a translucent or nearly transparent body. I woiuld have kept in the terrarium with the peepers (which has a fool-proof cover) and but the larger peeper I noticed would bite at it. Any ideas what the species is?

The other mysterious metamorph looks like a new meta of a Gray Treefrog, but is grey with black, and climbs just as well as the green-colored (the green color at this stage I know is pretty typical) Hyla versicolor.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Can anyone identify these without photos

Maybe spring peeper froglets?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Maybe spring peeper froglets?
    Most likely. I dont recall any american species being smaller than a peeper.

Bill B

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Most likely. I dont recall any american species being smaller than a peeper.
    Well, I have others that I have been calling peepers, but they are not translucent at metamorphosis. Maybe what I have been calling peepers really aren't? Are peepers translucent right at metamorphosis?

Bill B

Quote Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
    Well, I have others that I have been calling peepers, but they are not translucent at metamorphosis. Maybe what I have been calling peepers really aren't? Are peepers translucent right at metamorphosis?
    Are Midland Chorus Frogs smaller at metamorphosis?

Bill B

Quote Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
    Are Midland Chorus Frogs smaller at metamorphosis?
    probably a GTF metamorph. I found what was obviously a GTF meta in my leopard frog bucket, and there were only only leopard frog tads there when I started. Plus, I have some GTF tads about to become metamorphs, and they looked like the ones that got away.

Thread Information