Thread: Help with sick frog/toad (not sure)

Drivebysbuddy

Default Help with sick frog/toad (not sure)

Hi, I actually just registered looking for help with what I think is a toad that I found outside. I initially thought he might have been grazed by a car because he had a little blood on his head which made me stop and look. When I went up to him he did not hop away immediately which made me concerned. I brought him in and he had blood coming out of his right eye and some on his head. I cleaned him up with a cotton swab and some normal saline. My initial impression was that he was seriously injured and I didn't want him to suffer so was looking for a way to ease pain. I actually called a vet who specializes in exotic animals and asked if there was anything I could do. She told me to kill it by finishing running it over. I couldn't do that. So I looked it up myself and found that amphibians can have caprofen (dog analgesic) and so I gave him some of that. I figured it would either help his pain or at least put him out of his misery. He is still alive, has stopped bleeding with mild direct pressure but does not look good. I have since looked up and found out about something called "toad fly" where these flies plant their larvae in the toad's nose and pretty much eat the toad alive. It's very graphic and torture for the toad. My question is: I can't find any larvae on the toad and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to determine if he actually has this? Also I read here that the humane way to euthanize a toad/frog would be Orajel and vodka?? I actually don't have vodka, only rum, (vodka causes huge hangovers). Will the rum work too? Also does is have to be Orajel? I may have some generic toothache stuff here. What is the ingredient in it that works? I apologize for the length, I tend to be wordy. I tried to upload photos of the toad (whom I named Driveby when I thought he was hit by a car) but it kept saying my jpg files were not valid. Any help with that would be appreciated too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with sick frog/toad (not sure)

Frog Forum has been having issues lately, just copy and paste the picture here

Drivebysbuddy

Just FYI. Driveby continued to have a rough night. I do think he had the toad fly thing going on. He continued to bleed, and I think I saw larvae in the blood moving. The active ingredient is benzocaine 20%. It does not have to be Orajel. It just should not have alcohol in it for some reason. There is no need for vodka at all. I placed a small amount of the toothache gel on his belly and he died in less than a minute. It did not appear traumatic. He's buried in my front yard.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello drivebybuddy,

Nice of you to help the toad. Yes, it's the bezocaine or lidocaine that puts them to sleep. Witch hazel also works. That you for letting him be at peace in a comfortable manner.

~ Heather
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about the toad

Heather, I didn't know about the witch hazel, how does that work? Lija told me about clove oil. The reason not to use the Orajel with antiseptic (alcohol) is that it causes the frog more pain... I unfortunately found that out first hand with my poor frog, sHEila.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hello drivebybuddy,

Nice of you to help the toad. Yes, it's the bezocaine or lidocaine that puts them to sleep. Witch hazel also works. That you for letting him be at peace in a comfortable manner.

~ Heather
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

I personally don't like witch hazel. You rub it on their belly. It's similar to alcohol. I prefer lidocaine or oragel. Clove oil works also.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information