Thread: going to get a wtf!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default going to get a wtf!

I'm going to be getting a whites tree frog soon. I have been doing some research on them. I tried to view the care sheet here but it wouldn't work. Does anyone have any tips for me? What temp and humidity range? What should I look for when I'm picking out my new buddy? What do I need to make sure I have to keep him happy? I know the basics... Plants, water conditioner, hide, water bowl, coconut fiber blah blah blah so they need vitamin supplements And calcium? Also I know they change colors and read somewhere that when they are brown they are stressed. Is this true? How do I keep my foggy happy and green? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: going to get a wtf!

I tried to load the care sheet so I could copy and paste it for you but your right. It says error like some one moved the website. I would say Google the care sheet as a general guide line and then all of us at frog forum can help fine tune your home for the froggie to be. I have three wtf two adults and a juvenile, so I may be able to answer a few questions. I personally liked the care sheet found at this site. http://whitestreefrog.net/care-sheet.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Wbarnes8723 View Post
    I'm going to be getting a whites tree frog soon. I have been doing some research on them. I tried to view the care sheet here but it wouldn't work. Does anyone have any tips for me? What temp and humidity range? What should I look for when I'm picking out my new buddy? What do I need to make sure I have to keep him happy? I know the basics... Plants, water conditioner, hide, water bowl, coconut fiber blah blah blah so they need vitamin supplements And calcium? Also I know they change colors and read somewhere that when they are brown they are stressed. Is this true? How do I keep my foggy happy and green? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    Excellent choice! Whites are great frogs. Tips I can give you right now is to ask any and all questions on frog forum. Temperatures should range from 75-85. It can be a bit cooler at night, but I don't think that it's a necessity. Humidity should generally be around 60%, but whites can tolerate humidity changes very well so don't worry if it's sitting at 40 or 80. When picking out a frog, get one from a responsible breeder or reptile specialty store. Big chain pet stores like petco, petland, petsmart...often have wild caught frogs who are loaded with parasites. To keep a whites happy is pretty simple. Heat, light, food, a BIG water dish(they love to spread out completely in the dish.) and plenty of room to climb. Yes, vitamin supplements on the crickets once a week and calcium every feeding will be good. Some whites are naturally brown, and some green. Some are blue, and some even yellow. Basically, if your frog makes a big color change for no apparent reason(brown to green, green to brown) just check your husbandry and keep a close eye on the frog. Any other questions, let us know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I used to think frogs got darker when it was damp, cold, or they were stressed. Now after watching my two for months, I think color change is more or less random.

Vitamin supplements are good. You can get one with both calcium/D3 and a multivitamin (I have repashy). Or you can get both Cal/D3 and a multivitamin and dust the crickets with different supplements on different days.

Knowing how much to feed the frogs is not an exact science, but generally the insects should be no longer than the space between the frog's eyes.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've had a pacman man last year so I still have all of his stuff. I had problems keeping his humidity and heat up in the winter and he quit eating on me. I have since moved and have the resources to take better care of a new froggy friend.It stays around 72° where I am now and I have two heat pads and a heat bulb(can't remember what wattage) so I should have no problem this time keeping the heat up. I went to petco because my son was wanting a hamster a hamster and when I'm there I always check on the conditions they are keeping their frogs in and while looking I fell in love with their whites tree frogs. I got a care sheet there and have Google them but I find here always has the best info. Right now I have a 10 gal I had my Paxman in. I should be able to get an exo terra in a couple of weeks. I know they like height. I want to have every thing right before I get him/her so they will be happy. Will the 10 gal be ok for a baby? And graduate to a taller terrarium later? Should I get two? Are they happier with friends? Pacmans have to be housed separately so I was thinking just one but it would be fun to have a couple. I know a lot of people are against getting frogs from petco but someone has to get them right? If I do get one or two from them I will get a poo test done on it or them. Which brings me to another question.. where do I take the poo? Do I send it off or could it be taken to a vet? I don't have an exotic vet around here but would regular vets do the test?

oh and substrate! I just assumed I would do coconut fiber cause that's what I was used to with my pacman but it is a pain in the ****. I seen someone used reptile grass or whatever it's called in a youtube video and saw someone mention it here. since these frogs don't burrow will this work for them? Anyone had any luck with it? I read they pee mostly in their water bowl. I haven't seen anything about where they poo. I could spot clean daily and take it out and clean it thoroughly weekly or monthly whatever is necessary. And it would be better if I get a little guy now with my 10 gallon cause it will give him an extra inch or two height.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Like I said I will be getting an exo terra. Would a small exo terra terrarium be suitable for two?

Nationality
    [United States]

I seen someone say something about someone's frog being brown. Said they must be stressed. That's why I asked that about the color change. So should I be cautious about buying a brown frog? I seen some darker green ones but don't remember any browns. They had some snowflake ones that where a dark blue/green that was sooooo pretty! They were a couple inches long so they weren't babies. I wanted to get babies but maybe I should get those bigger guys. if I get the babies they will just put in more babies with those bigger guys and they will end up eating the babies . Goodness I'm so anxious to get them! Maybe I should mention that fact to them and see if I can get the older ones at a reduces price. I feel bad that no one has wants them and they are so beautiful!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you're really doing research.
    If it was me, I'd go ahead and get the exo-terra since these frogs grow fast. You can get two frogs if you want, but it's going to be more for your amusement than the frogs. I've noticed my frogs don't interact except to sit on one another sometimes. If you do get a frog from petco, I'd suggest getting a young one, one that hasn't been there long.

Also being prepared to get a fecal test is a good idea! I think someone on here has an address that lets you mail poo, but going to the vet in person should be quicker. Also the sample will be fresher. I'd do an internet search for herp vets or call local vets and ask if they could do a fecal test and maybe examination on a frog.

Personally I have a planted tank, but you may need to buy the soil specially to get a kind that holds moisture supports plants, has charcol and is notoxic. I like not having to clean (except occasional poo removal). But if you're willing to clean reptile grass should work if it isn't too rough on the frogs skin and doesn't contain any loops that a froggy foot might get trapped in.

I really recommend no smaller than 18x18x24. I know that might sound big for just one frog, but they go crazy at night and if they feel trapped, they sometimes start rubbing their noses raw on the screen at the top. Two frogs can fit easily into a tank that size.

Finally, where do they poo? Everywhere! Seriously, the water dish, the food bowl, onto the glass...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with getting an older frog though, as long as you accept they might be sick or stressed from being in an overcrowded tank for a long time.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Mine are lime green, bronze, and my prize silver skin/eyed. I still say hes silver not blue lmao. Look for one that is alert and the most active of the bunch, with the fattest little belly of course. I work alot with my petco and petsmart, they listen to my ideas for keeping, cleaning, bedding, and i always adopt their damaged animals. Got a 3 legged chamelion(natural defect), and a 3 legged beardie(someone broke his leg) im setting up for.

Whites are spunky little turds. Highly.... social butterfly once its used to you. We feed our babies a few crickets a day, dusted 2x a week. Once with d3 once without. If its small enough itll be active day. But theyre mostly night. We keep 80-82day and 75-78 night. After learning the hard way cool temps effect their organs big time, we run a tight ship.

Only thing i could suggest is also a full spectrum cfl from lowes($10 a pair). It fills the gap in the uv spectrum and is really good for their skin. Full spec cfls run about 75-80 degrees once hot. So you may need a dimmer of sorts for the heat bulb. For a 10g id go with zoo med 40 or 60w blue, full spec, and a uvb5(uv gets eaten up/reflected by screen tops so we always upsize1). Night.... eeeeh a 60w red with dimmer or straight 40w red should do nicely for ya. maybe a side panel heater for cooler times.

Hope i lended a machete to the intellectual thicket

Nationality
    [United States]

Does anyone have any tips on keeping humidity up? I had a big problem with this with my other frog. They needed about 80% humidity I think it was. I know these guys only need around 50%. For my pacman I had to rig up a fogger and it still wasn't keeping the humidity where I needed it. What do yall do to keep the humidity around 50? I have moss that I could use but I don't want to cause I don't want them to accidentally eat it. I guess I will just get everything set up and see how it goes before I get my little guy. If I end up having to use the moss to keep the humidity up I will feed him/her in a different container.

Also what is a good staple food? For my pacman I used night crawlers, will they work for these guys or are they too fatty? I've noticed most people on here use crickets if I'm correct? I tong fed my pacman also, should u tong feed my whites? That is if I don't use moss. I think it might be fun watching then hunt down their own food. I had to tong feed my pacman cause she dug down and waited for her food to come to her.
    Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get everything right before I get my new little guy/guys.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks yall are so helpful! So should I go shopping for them at night? When I went the other day I went to three petstores. Only two had whites it was around 12-1 pm and I only seen 1 move. I think I scared it peeking in the glass and it jumped from the water bowl to a plant in the back. None were acitve, they just sat there looking back at me.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Lol i think moss impaction is more personal paranoia. The type of moss makes the difference there i think. Theres moss everywhere in nature. We feed crickets with small hornworms as a treat from time to time. Im sure people feed a variety of things. I steer away from hard shelled things. Because they cant digest the shell so well(my paranoia) lol

Got a pic of your fog monster? I/we here may be able to get ya fixed up. I have a $40 elephant kids one from target. It keeps 2x planted 40g breeders, a55, and my 18x18x24 exoterra just fine. Still 3 29g, 2x10s, another 40 and 55 to plumb into it. Yes i have miles of glass, frogs, anoles, long tails, and snakes.

My knob on the fogger controls my fog output. That may be the difference. Yours might sense room humidity. I tinkered with mine and the ball valve(very necessary in my case) attached to every tank till i obtain my system balance. Takes a day or so sometimes. But the valves set less to one tank more for another.
    Set a pic of the fogger lets see what we can finger out lol

Nationality
    [United States]

I have everything olin storage right now or I'd take a pic. Won't be able to pull everything out until tomorrow probably. I think it's a Vicks one. I pulled the spout thing off the top and a hose I pulled off of a kids pretend vacuum over the opening . It put out a lot of fog. Within ten minutes it filled the tank up but that was running full blast. I couldn't ever get it just right. It was either filled up with fog or too little to keep the humidity up. Maybe with some help I can tinker with it to get it just right. I'm in Alabama I shouldn't have to worry too much about humidity but I do.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The vicks just run and run lol. Put the bugger on a dimmer plug, or a cheap humidistat. Im more diy so i make 90%of our stuff. Newfangled toys cost too much lol.

16. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here's a care sheet John (FF founder) did for Reptile's magazine: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...og-Care-Sheet/
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

18. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Earthworms are fine if you're willing to cut them up into edible pieces. Crickets are a fine staple.

Most tree frogs will be asleep during the day. Oh, one more thing, it may be helpful to choose a frog that has a fairly calm reaction to being picked up.

20. 2 members thank elly for this post:

Frogger00

Earth worms definitely need to be cut up! I learned that the hard way... I fed a whole one to my frogs, well it just kept coming back up and I had to pull it out of their mouths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. This member thanks Frogger00 for this post:

Thread Information