Thread: American toadlets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default American toadlets

Okay so a little over a month ago I collected two newly hatched American Toad tadpoles from my pond. Like extremely new, they were so new that most of them were just laying on their sides and stuff. I only got two and have been raising them since, keeping them in about a gallon of water, changing about 8 ounces or so every other day, and feediing them boiled frozen lettuce, and an occasional shrimp pellet. When I saw that one had a front leg out I switched their container to one with less water and a more easily accessible land area. Well now they both have all their legs and one has started to come out of the water a little bit. I was wondering what I need to do now. It doesn't stay out for long and it seems to still breathe with gills, but I'm afraid that it will drown or something. They're in a medium critter keeper with about an inch and a half of water now, with about a quarter of it land, which is a mixture of sand and gravel. Is this okay to keep them on until they're both completely terrestrial? I guess I'm just worried, I only have the two because I just wanted to just watch them grow up and just be sort of special, and now they're changing and I just want to do everything right for them. I already have my fruit fly culture, as well as a culture of rice flour beetles. What is the best substrate to use for the tiny babies? I feel like a loose substrate would make it hard to keep up with them and with how much they eat, but I heard that paper towels have bleaching agents in them and can hurt them. I have brown paper bags and brown paper towels, will they work? I would only be using a paper towel or whatever substrate for the first week or so, just to make sure they were eating and everything. I guess I could just feed them in a separate container but I feel like that would stress them out. I feel mostly prepared and I think I can figure it out, but I was just wanting some advice because I don't want to mess up. Thank you!

Nationality
    [Denmark]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American toadlets

Hi dude. I've never raised tadpoles myself, but this guy seems pretty legit. In this video you can see the substrate he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zuW...FCsGknuK3qkt9_

Otherwise I'd search the net for good sources of tadpole care in the various stages.

Nationality
    [United States]

Cool, thank you!

4. This member thanks LegendTeller for this post:

cheekymonkey

I have had good experience raising tadpoles of all sorts. I kept them in a 10 gal aquarium full of water, and would feed them bundles of spinach (rubber-banded and weighed down). They love it, and it's easier for them to eat if it's stationary. When the little guys start showing body parts, it's time to make a platform for them to hold themselves out of the water. In my case, I used a plastic plant pot and submerged it upside down in the aquarium with a thin piece of wood (5" x 10" x 1") on top. You can keep the board from floating away by putting a river rock on top of it over the pot. Bring the water level a little over the wood. That makes it easy for them to get on it when they're ready. If they can't get themselves out of the water somehow, they'll drown.

When their tail is just about gone, you can start lowering the water level to just at the edge of the wood board. This will allow them to still be able to get on it, but also enable you to put bugs on the wood for them to eat. Start out with ants. Ants are easy to collect with a small plastic cup and a 1" paint brush to sweep them into it. Want to make it really easy? Place a Jolly-Rancher candy in the sun on some concrete around a desirable place of the house and wait a couple days. The ants will find it and you'll be able to sweep them into the cup on the concrete instead of the dirt.

6. This member thanks cheekymonkey for this post:

Thread Information