I was bored the other day surfing the web for vivarium inspiration, when I decided to give this a try.

Its a very rough draft of a PVC tree for a frog tank. I'm not sure if I'll keep working on this one, as its an experiment, but I'm thinking of filling in parts with GS foam and covering in maybe a peat type mixture.

MATERIALS:
40" section of 4" green PVC sewer pipe(what I had on hand at the time)
60 grit sand paper
Spray bottle w/water
Bucket with ice water

TOOLS:
Jigsaw
Heat gun($9@ Harbor Freight)
Dremel tool with:
Metal ball tipped bit
Metal "V" tipped bit
cutting disc for plastic
ROS disk sander
Heavy duty leather gloves
Respirator
16x16 ceramic tile

I'll break this up into two sections. One being "How I did it" the other being "What I Should Have Done"

First I used the jigsaw to cut lines up the pipe at random lengths. These will be the roots and branches. Next I used a Dremel with a cutting disc to cut a couple 1"-2" slits in the trunk portion, these will be heated and pulled outward to make holes and knots.

I used a ceramic tile as a base to help absorb the heat and not set my work bench on fire. Make sure you have a spray bottle with COLD water available. I kept mine in a bucket if ice water to keep it cold.

Starting with the trunk portion heat it evenly until pliable. Working quickly, form, fold the pipe. If you are happy with a shape, SPRAY IT with the water bottle. This will harden it immediately. Do the same with the branches.

Once I had my desired shape, I used the Dremel to rough it up and add some texture.

What I should have done.....

Using a ROS sander, rough up the pipe PRIOR TO HEATING. Next, used the metal tipped dremel bits, carve grooves, lines, or whatever over the whole pipe. Next, cut your random lines with the jigsaw, but this time round off the tips of the bottom pieces. Now, have at it with the heat gun. I've found that folding the branches/roots looks best. I'm going to try and twist and pull the trunk next time, rather than fold it.

I'll add to this post after I grab some more pipe, with more detailed pics. Please feel free to add your opinions