Thread: Afraid my Dumpy is sick

Skizmosis

Default Afraid my Dumpy is sick

Hello, new owner of a whites dumpy tree frog. Seemed fine at first, was feeding regularly off of small mealworms. Read that they can cause impactions so tried using crickets however the frog has not eaten in about 3-4 days. The frog has become somewhat lethargic, mainly stays in a small area even at night. Last night I had given it a pediatlyte soak and set in a separate small tank covered for privacy only to find nothing had been eaten. Appears to be thin and losing color for most of the day. Temp in the vivarium is about 85 degrees with about 65-70 percent humidity. Appears to also be in the middle of a shed, so not sure if that is common to have a loss of appetite during this period. Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would attach a photo, however it is not uploading correctly. Small, fairly thin, barely any green on it, mostly a reddish brown color.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Afraid my Dumpy is sick

I've noticed my frogs are a little less interested in eating during a shed, but not to the extent you describe. Is the tank in a low-traffic area? The frog could be stressed.
    I'd try mealworms again. Even though they can cause impaction, the frog might not be willing to try an unfamiliar food yet.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would try a warm enzyme treatment again in a day or so. While it may only eat mealworms at the moment possibly try hookworms, plump food, no shell. Also feeding hookworms and such, are you cutting the heads off of them? They can still keep biting the inside of the frog even hours after feeding. This can cause damage.

When was the last poopies? If the froggy is about to shed it may also be constipated and not impacted(the soak will help).

6. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If he hasn't been pooping you can try a warm honey bath. Put a few drops of honey in warm water no deeper than the frog's chin, soak for 15-30 minutes, then give a rinse bath in plain warm water to remove honey residue from his skin.

Has he had a fecal test? The other likely culprit here is parasites, which you would need to bring a fecal sample to a vet to have checked. This sounds exactly like how one of my whites was and he turned out to have parasites.

Also, I might lower his humidity a little if I were you. Whites are pretty versatile for humidity ranges, but generally 40-60% is good with 50% ideal.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hookworms, Krispy? I've never heard of that. Also hookworms are a very small parasite so that seems a little weird.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Krispy, is it possible you meant to say hornworms? I have never heard of feeding hookworms, and the description you gave fits hornworms.

Skizmosis

Thanks for the suggestions. Wasn't aware they would be biting them from the inside, I'll keep that in mind. It did poop yesterday, have yet to see a vet or anything. Funds are low cause i bought an entire vivarium setup so it can be solitary. Was hoping to see better signs from it within the next few days in the new setup. Was hoping for some home remedy or something but apparently there's not any.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

For home care you can continue pedialyte soaks and feed easy to digest food (crickets and/or dubias for the staple, possibly occasional waxworms, hornworms, or nightcrawlers as treats), but if this is parasites then there really isn't a home treatment. Fecal tests generally run under $20 if you have a vet who doesn't require an exam, and the meds are usually pretty cheap. The fenbendazole dewormer my vet prescribed only cost $1.75, but you need a fecal test first to know what you're dealing with.

Do you supplement your feeders with a multivitamin or calcium/D3 powder?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Yes i meant hornworms... idk the name is new to me for them. To us here a hornworm is your garden variety caterpiller.

Thread Information