Thread: Questions: Viv for Pond Frog

Pleasantly

Default Questions: Viv for Pond Frog

Hello, I am completely new to frogs, vivariums, and paludariums. I have a northern green frog we have been nursing back to health, and would like to create a comfortable home for him. I've been reading and watching youtube videos like crazy on set ups, but I still have a few questions:

1) What do you recommend for filtration with a messy pond frog? When I was a kid, I had a fish aquarium with an undergravel filter. It seems this is not commonly used any longer, which leaves me lost on what people usually use.

2) How do you clean a vivarium/paludarium that contains living plants and substrate? And how often does it usually need cleaned if a pond frog lives in it? I have 1 frog and a 30 gal tank.

3) I'd like to create a set up with a water feature and I'd like to be able to remove the pump in the event it quits working. Does anyone have a method they use to achieve this?

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are many ways to achieve what you want to do. Paludariums are a bit more tricky than a regular viv, due to the extra equipment involved.

Filtration is obviously a big concern, and your design is going to really decide what kind of filtration you use. It can be as simple as a whisper fountain filter (I think it's the 10i or something like that), a canister, a submersible, or even as basic as a pump surrounded by filter pads. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Again, your design will pretty much dictate which filter you decide on.

Cleaning: in a living Palu, you are going to want a cleaning crew. Isopods and springtails are crucial for this. They are small, tiny bugs that will help break down waste. Of course, you will still have to spot clean larger pieces of waste, but the bugs will help with every thing else.

Accessing your filtration, again, depends on your design. I cannot stress enough how you should have at least a basic design to work with. Plan, plan, plan. Plan for everything imaginable. Where will the water flow? Keep in mind that water is, for the most part, uncontrollable. Are there any gaps which could cause problems? How do I access equipment in case of failure? Ect, ect.

Basically, start with a design, and then work from there

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Pleasantly

Default Re: Questions: Viv for Pond Frog

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    There are many ways to achieve what you want to do. Paludariums are a bit more tricky than a regular viv, due to the extra equipment involved.

Filtration is obviously a big concern, and your design is going to really decide what kind of filtration you use. It can be as simple as a whisper fountain filter (I think it's the 10i or something like that), a canister, a submersible, or even as basic as a pump surrounded by filter pads. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Again, your design will pretty much dictate which filter you decide on.

Cleaning: in a living Palu, you are going to want a cleaning crew. Isopods and springtails are crucial for this. They are small, tiny bugs that will help break down waste. Of course, you will still have to spot clean larger pieces of waste, but the bugs will help with every thing else.

Accessing your filtration, again, depends on your design. I cannot stress enough how you should have at least a basic design to work with. Plan, plan, plan. Plan for everything imaginable. Where will the water flow? Keep in mind that water is, for the most part, uncontrollable. Are there any gaps which could cause problems? How do I access equipment in case of failure? Ect, ect.

Basically, start with a design, and then work from there

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    Thanks so much. Planning is what I do. I've had my vegetable garden expansion (including a beehive) drawn out and labeled since January, haha! After looking at your pics and some others I found online, I think I know how I want the land and pond area set up...the mental image was dancing in my head as I was between sleep and awakening this am

That's when I always have my best ideas, but I have them as I am falling asleep.

I get the garden planning thing. I have had my garden planned since last fall when I moved into my new house. As far as tanks, I had my 125 planned for over a year before I built it.

1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri