Thread: sunburst toad husbandry?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default sunburst toad husbandry?

Hello everyone, today while out and about doing errands I came across these 2 Sunburst toads. I would love to purchase these guys but I cant find a care article anywere. I have a 20 gallon tall tank and a 10 gallon that are freed up at the moment, and I have UTH's, plants, waterbowls Etc, everything I need I got. Im wondering if they can be kept together, they are together at the moment and the guy at the store is pretty good with this kinda stuff just want a second opinion. How big will they get and I was wondering what the temps and humidity should be. He has them at room temp right now but that's his room temp in the store and I believe his store is warmer then average house. Or if somebody does know were I could find some good reading on these guys that would be awesome. Any help would greatly be appreciated because I would really love to bring these guys home Monday or Tuesday if possible, but of course if things aren't setup properly and I cant find enough info about them I will not get them because that would not be fair to the toad.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: sunburst toad husbandry?

No idea, sorry but I'd set up qt tank similar to pac frogs, care for toads is about the same, humidity for some needs to be lower.
    What is a Latin name? Was trying to look for it, n/a have a feeling they have different nonlatin name too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya I couldn't find the latin name either, even called a reptile zoo in Toronto and he said he couldn't find the latin name either. The zoo told me they could be kept like an American toad but I want to make sure. And he didn't give me temps and humidity. I asked if the humidity and heat has to be like a pacman frog and he said no its lower, but didn't give me an exact numbers. If you google them there is a picture, just no care on them. Im going to keep looking and if I find the latin name I will let you know.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I found the latin name, it is Duttaphrynus melanostictus. It is a common asain toad from what Wikipedia says. And the pictures match the toads at the store. If you google reptile wrangler Barrie Ontario they are the first picture at the top. Now I just got to figure out heat and humidity and stuff. So now my question Is can I use the care article titled, Toad basics-keeping ground dwelling toads as guidelines for the husbandry?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

7. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

On the other thought, I'd research their native habitat first

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you, I checked that link and a lot of stuff from Wikipedia to the link were the same except for some of the names. For example instead of Black-Spined toad on the wiki page its called a Black-Spotted toad. But countries and areas and all that almost match up. I think I will ask him to hold them for me till the end of week so I can do some more research, but they do seem to be a pretty common toad were they are from. And already from what I read my 20gallon tall wont be big enough for them when they are adults, they can grow to 8inches.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, I think they need bigger tank. It says they live by the rivers, so water feature would probably make them happy.... But on the other thought no way to make naturalistic tank for 8" toad

I'm thinking keeping in pac like but bigger tank should work.

They should be WC, right?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Im not sure I will give him a shout tomorrow and ask him because there is a few other things I want to ask him to. I looked at that those links and that's crazy, your right I shouldn't have any problems catching z's now. L.O.L And the AmphibiaWeb one I find matches everything else, I think this toad just has a million names. And its funny because the guy I talked to at the reptile zoo said that to me and said that's why im probably having a hard time finding info on it. And I was thinking the same thing as you about the keeping it like a pacman frog except just have abit lower heat, like lets 77f to 78f during the day with a few degrees drop at night. Lija in your opinion do you think it would be safe to use that care article you put up now doing the little bit of research you have done? And yes im going to need a bigger tank, from what I have read so far they are active when they are awake so if they get that big they will need some room to move around.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Honestly? I'd ask questions like - how long do they have it for? Look if he looks okay and healthy. Ask what are they feeding him?
    I have no doubt it's a WC, thus be ready for treating. And from what I know in general toads are more forgiving to care flaws then frogs.

And yes after qt id keep like a pac but bigger tank, but would do more in depth research of his natural habitat, seasonal changes, things like that, I wouldn't trust any care sheet straight on unless they are written by somebody I know or trust.

You have more frogs, so full on qt....and I would suggest to use gloves unless you wanna test what they were testing in that study lol

Nationality
    [Canada]

I think for the time being I may hold off till I know more about these toads, it was one of those I love that and I have to get it kind of feelings when I saw them, but now that I have done a little reading and stuff I have come to the conclusion that I need to do a lot more research before getting these. And I imagine he could get them for me in the future, he is pretty good like that. And ya those were some of the questions I was going ask him, and I go in there a lot and this is the first time I have seen these there and he gets a lot of different reptiles and amphibians in there so who knows how much he even actually knows about this species himself. Oh and he got them on the 9th. I was actually going in there to see if he got in an Ornate that I asked for but it wasn't in yet, I think I will wait for him and do some more research on this toad. And I was getting the Ornate when he arrived even if got these this week, no one was being left behind. And Lija thank you so much for helping me find out what the proper name was, and thanks for the links and info I imagine it is going to help me further my research an reading a lot.

Nationality
    [Canada]

No probl, it was fun and when you learn smth new it's nice!

if he got in on 9th... I'd be a bit scared, that would mean it's a fresh import =really stressed out animals, probably not eating and there is no way of knowing otherwise.

Yep, get ornate! Lol these are monsters lol or you can always drive south ( I call it family vacation, cos driving just to get a frog sounds nutty lol) and get ornate shipped to US fedex

Nationality
    [Denmark]

They are GREAT toads!

I have four here at home. I use the careguide for terrestrial toads, from this forum. They need a lot of room to walk - not like a pacman setup. Also they don't like if it's too humid and wet all the time (also not too hot). Here at home they are kept at room temperature, water changed daily, earth/bedding changed every four weeks and I dust their terrarium each night with a water moisterer for humidity.

Here at home they're kept in long terrariums, longest at the moment for my two palm-sized males is 100,5cm long, and 50x50 cm high and wide.

They naturally live in packs and my guys both have a buddy, whom they often interact with (come out to eat together, bathe together, croak together). They'll pick out a favorite spot to sit basically all day long and will come out/be active at dusk and dawn, where they wander around and hunt for food.

They have a very visible personality and are great fun! They're also a very rough breed and not weak to temperature changes and so on.

Congrats on your guy. You should find him a friend When he/she gets bigger, if he gets an orange throat, it'll be a male. I'll advise you to put him out of hearing distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg6oOFDa-cw

17. This member thanks victorsgrace for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, thank you for the info. I have not got them yet but they are still at the store so I may get them now that I got some info to go by for the husbandry. I believe the guy at the store says they are male and female. One has a nice orange or reddish colour on its back and comes up inbetween the eyes. Do you know if these toads are usually wc or cb?

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Allright

They can vary in colour from whitish w. black/orange "stripes" or colorations, reddish/orangish and yellowish/greenish. If the throat is orange (and there are ofcourse nuptual pads) it will be a male.

Hard to say; you'll have to ask your petstore guy. Here in europe I haven't found anyone who breeds them yet, but I was so goddamn lucky to get mine from an official botanicla instituion that keeps them as pest control, so mine are "cb" in essence, but came from a large area and grew on good, wild fodder.

If they are wc, ask from where, how long he has had them and check their state and condition before buying.

I was stupid enough to buy a little guy at the Hamm Expo a year ago, from some Czech guy. When I got home I noticed a bump on his back that was slowly swolling. Due to stress and whatever conditions he came from, I got a toad with Mycobacteriosis - a severe bacterial infection rampant in germany and many parts of europe, that's untreatable, very infectious and leads to a slow, uncomfortable death

Since then, I personally don't support wc. But it can be done. Just quarentene when you get home and minimize stress levels. They will undoubtedly have parasites as wc, so a trip to the vet when they have settled in is recommendable.

20. This member thanks victorsgrace for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks again, this little bit of info has helped me a lot. And me and another member figured that most of these toads are wc that come on the market. I have to go in there today to pick up some stuff so im going to have another talk with him while there. Thanks again, I will post what he says later on when I get back from running around so you can you see what says.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Super. Good luck with everything

Thread Information