Thread: Plant I picked up today

Annie742

Default Plant I picked up today

I got this a our garden nursery and I think it's really cute. But not sure if it will work in my vivarium. The name of it is Mentha requienni, or common name Corsican mint. It does have a minty smell to it and not sure if it would be ok in with tree frogs. Just wondering if anyone tried it?

I got lots of plants today lol. I forgot how small this tank is rotfl. But they won't go to waste I have other tanks . If this one looks ok it will be my practice for future tanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Plant I picked up today

Wheres that loopy chipmunk when ya need him???

Well, im not so sure about your mint. It sounds more like a herb... other people may have more/far better input, but i would think if it ls a mint herb, and the plant breaks or gets squished. The mint oils may burn your frogs tender skin or make it sick. My internet access if highly limited, or i could just look the plant up...

4. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Annie742

Thank you for the reply Krispy Here is what it says on a site I found. I google everything lol.

Mentha requienii, commonly called Corsican mint or creeping mint, is a miniature mat-forming plant that typically grows to only 1/2" to 1" tall but spreads by thread-like stems which creep along the ground rooting as they go to 12" wide or more to form a dense flat diminutive ground cover. It is particularly effective as an aromatic filler growing around stepping stones where light foot traffic will release a pleasing mint/sage aroma. Leaves are evergreen in mild winter climates but not in St. Louis. This mint is native to the Islands of Corsica, Sardinia and Montecristo. Tiny round green leaves (to 1/8" across) have a strong aroma when bruised. Leaves are the source of the flavoring in creme-de-menthe. Tiny minute lilac flowers bloom from the leaf axils in summer (late June -August). Flowers are so small they are often not seen.

Garden Uses

Plant between paving/stepping stones or patio blocks in moist part-shade areas. Herb gardens. Rock gardens. Containers (especially when it drapes over the side of the container). Leaves may be used to flavor teas, in salads, in cooked foods or as a garnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Wheres that loopy chipmunk when ya need him???

Well, im not so sure about your mint. It sounds more like a herb... other people may have more/far better input, but i would think if it ls a mint herb, and the plant breaks or gets squished. The mint oils may burn your frogs tender skin or make it sick. My internet access if highly limited, or i could just look the plant up...
    Sorry, I've been under the weather and not on as often as usual.

I would agree here. The mint oils certainly cannot be good for a frogs sensitive skin. It 'may' be a safe plant, but probably not worth the risk. it also may or may not like the higher humidity we keep in vivs, even though it's a Mediterranean plant, where they do get some humidity, but not constant.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

7. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Annie742

I was afraid of that, and it's such a cute little plant too. Oh well better safe than sorry, thank you both very much for your replies.

Hope you get to feeling better soon

Thank you
    Plant it in your garden. You are probably zone 6b or 5. It will enjoy the summer outside. You can always leave it in a container and winter it indoors. No sense is wasting a plant. Besides, I bet Corsican mint would be awesome in a refreshing mojito in the dead of summer

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Annie742

Oh I don't throw plants away. If I don't use it i'll give it to my sis. And it may well be good to put in a refreshing mojito if I actually liked mint
    Love the smell but not the taste lol.

And I am in zone 5.

Thread Information