Thread: Some (more) Questions and Concerns for a new WTF owner...

trkent

Default Some (more) Questions and Concerns for a new WTF owner...

Hello again, everyone!

So... I'm writing today because I have a few questions/concerns for all of you. I've had my new little white's for about a week now and I've noticed some strange behavior. She's eating just fine - like a champ I might add! She's always super interested in what I'm doing when I hold her (which isn't too often, I swear! I mostly sit her down and let her do her thing and she walks around, et cetera. I'm careful about what surfaces she's on and all of that). But here are some of the pros and cons of her behavior I've noticed:

Pros:
    -She eats really well. She eats 1 or 2 crickets a day (small ones).
    -She reacts well to stimuli. Crickets, my hand in the terrarium, light, et cetera.
    -She climbs well. Good muscle strength and movement.
    -She pees and poos a lot! I've read that this is a good - and healthy!

Cons:
    -She seems to HATE her water dish. I'm using the right, clean water for her dish and spray bottle to keep the humidity/moisture up.
    -Her skin tone seems to change from a bright green to a dark green sometimes. I understand that this means she's stressed?
    -She doesn't seem to ever really sleep. Whenever I look at her during the day she has her eyes about half open - like she's trying to sleep but can't? Is this normally how their eyes look? I assume she is active when I sleep (I'm usually up really late though and don't see her moving much). But if there is food in her terrarium it'll usually be gone by morning? But it appears she never left her perch spot?
    -She's very lethargic. During the night - like right now - she just... sits there at the top of her terrarium on a perch I set up for her. She RARELY comes down from the perch. She has no interest in any other areas of her terrarium - besides maybe the closest point to the top by the light.

Thank you guys for all your help so far! I'll answer everything honestly and as effectively as I can. I just hope if I'm not doing something right that you guys won't judge me! I'm new to this - trying to learn all I can. Also, she does have a vet appointment coming up soon!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by trkent View Post
    Hello again, everyone!

So... I'm writing today because I have a few questions/concerns for all of you. I've had my new little white's for about a week now and I've noticed some strange behavior. She's eating just fine - like a champ I might add! She's always super interested in what I'm doing when I hold her (which isn't too often, I swear! I mostly sit her down and let her do her thing and she walks around, et cetera. I'm careful about what surfaces she's on and all of that). But here are some of the pros and cons of her behavior I've noticed:

Pros:
    -She eats really well. She eats 1 or 2 crickets a day (small ones).
    -She reacts well to stimuli. Crickets, my hand in the terrarium, light, et cetera.
    -She climbs well. Good muscle strength and movement.
    -She pees and poos a lot! I've read that this is a good - and healthy!

Cons:
    -She seems to HATE her water dish. I'm using the right, clean water for her dish and spray bottle to keep the humidity/moisture up.
    -Her skin tone seems to change from a bright green to a dark green sometimes. I understand that this means she's stressed?
    -She doesn't seem to ever really sleep. Whenever I look at her during the day she has her eyes about half open - like she's trying to sleep but can't? Is this normally how their eyes look? I assume she is active when I sleep (I'm usually up really late though and don't see her moving much). But if there is food in her terrarium it'll usually be gone by morning? But it appears she never left her perch spot?
    -She's very lethargic. During the night - like right now - she just... sits there at the top of her terrarium on a perch I set up for her. She RARELY comes down from the perch. She has no interest in any other areas of her terrarium - besides maybe the closest point to the top by the light.

Thank you guys for all your help so far! I'll answer everything honestly and as effectively as I can. I just hope if I'm not doing something right that you guys won't judge me! I'm new to this - trying to learn all I can. Also, she does have a vet appointment coming up soon!
    Not sure about hating the water dish, the frogs usually find it quite relaxing! Is the water too deep maybe? Try a different dish? Is the water too cold, or too warm? Is it dirty?

Color changes are normal. Sometimes it has to do with temperature or lighting changes(mine go dark at night) sometimes it is stress like you mentioned, and sometimes just because.

Eyes half open is fine. Sometimes during the day my two have their eyes just half way open, sometimes they are wide awake, and sometimes their eyes are shut so tightly that it looks like their eyes are sinking into their bodies! Either way, the frog is resting. It's hard to say wether they are awake or sleeping though when their eyes are half open...

Sometimes these frogs get pretty attached to a certain spot in the cage. Like when I put a cave in the tank, my one frog never came out so I just removed the cave lol. It's definitely something to watch, but you could try removing the perch at night. It is also possible that she is jumping around later in the night. Just keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Sounds like she's doing really well! They are quite voracious eaters aren't they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trkent

Default Re: Some (more) Questions and Concerns for a new WTF owner...

Oh my gosh, yes! She eats so much! I forgot to post that she is slightly bloated. It was a major reason for posting in the first place but all signs seem to point that she's healthy for the most part. I've read some things about bloating and it freaks me out. I tried to give her a good soak in some water to help with that (something I also read) and she absolutely hated it!!! She kept bashing her head into the side and swimming frantically and trying to get out so that lasted no more than a minute - I couldn't stand to see that.

And that's so odd because she has a cave as well and will not go near the thing! It worries me because all of her food hides in there and I'm afraid she'll starve lol. This is all very confusing!

As for the water dish, it's really shallow! No more than an inch deep. Perhaps I'll try less water because she is still young. Thanks for the reply!

Is it a possibility she's not very active because she's stressed? I spent a lot of time in my room and I'm afraid I'm stressing her out with my activities. I am generally very quiet and cover her at night.

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by trkent View Post
    Oh my gosh, yes! She eats so much! I forgot to post that she is slightly bloated. It was a major reason for posting in the first place but all signs seem to point that she's healthy for the most part. I've read some things about bloating and it freaks me out. I tried to give her a good soak in some water to help with that (something I also read) and she absolutely hated it!!! She kept bashing her head into the side and swimming frantically and trying to get out so that lasted no more than a minute - I couldn't stand to see that.

And that's so odd because she has a cave as well and will not go near the thing! It worries me because all of her food hides in there and I'm afraid she'll starve lol. This is all very confusing!

As for the water dish, it's really shallow! No more than an inch deep. Perhaps I'll try less water because she is still young. Thanks for the reply!

Is it a possibility she's not very active because she's stressed? I spent a lot of time in my room and I'm afraid I'm stressing her out with my activities. I am generally very quiet and cover her at night.
    Bloating can happen for a number of reasons. Sometimes they are getting ready to shed, sometimes they look bloated after a meal, maybe they are scared and trying to look bigger, sometimes they puff up in the water to make themselves float, and it can also be a sign of illness. Lol yes giving them baths is quite a struggle, especially if your frog doesn't like water at all!

My frogs only liked that one specific cave, I've tried other ones and they rarely went in. Don't worry about her not finding food, they are quite the hunters!

It's very possible that she is stressed and therefore lethargic. I'm surprised she ate for you after just a week! My two wouldn't touch their food for the first week or two. After about a month, a lot of these behaviors will probably change and then you will have more questions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trkent

She's a total little piggie! The first night I had her actually I was so fascinated by her that I had a cricket between the tips of my fingers and she snatched it right out of there!! It was pretty sweet to be honest! lol.

She just recently shed for me which was quite the experience. I thought she was puking - scared the **** outta me! But no, she was just eating her skin. Which was neat to watch! Speaking of water - I removed about 3/4s of the water and set her in the dish and she hasn't left since you posted your mention of trying less water! I guess she's just not a fan of swimming! Haha, all jokes aside, I guess I just had a little too much in there. Didn't seem like a lot to me but she's small - so now I understand.

I'll have to try a couple of different caves, I guess. I'd love for her to have a place to sleep. I'm afraid I can't easily move her perch because it's silicone glued in there. But if she's comfortable there I don't wanna force anything on her. Thanks again for your help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have a few tree frogs that never touch the water, that's normal, it could mean that you have an excellent level of humidity and your frog doesn't find a reason to soak

Inactivity may mean the tank is a little small or frog could be a little overweight too. Do you have pictures you could share with us? Our uploader isn't working correctly but you could use a hosting site like photobucket and paste the link here. It could be stress too, you can cover 3 sides of the tank with some kind of paper and it should help her feel more secure. When I moved my frogs to a new viv once, I had to cover almost all 4 sides before they settled in. Eventually, after a couple of weeks, I took all the paper off the front and they were just fine, some frogs just dislike change!

When you see your frog half awake, she may just be watching you for food They tend to be hungry little buggers!

You could try bowl feeding so the crickets do not go hide on her. Just use a smooth glass bowl, 1.5-2 inches deep. The edges are slippery so that they can't climb it and can't get a grip to jump out. That's how I feed all of my tree frogs and it seems to work out well. Might take her a few days to get used to it though.

Not using the hide is perfectly normal, she's a tree frog not a ground frog hehe.

What are your temperatures like? Is the perch near the heat lamp and she just doesn't want to leave the warm spot?

Make sure you use something to dechlorinate your water and dust the crickets with vitamins and calcium.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here's an album of sleeping WTFs if you want to compare Sleeping Froggies Photos by irthumper | Photobucket
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

trkent

She seems a little more fond of the dish now that I barely have any water in it. I removed about 3/4 of it. It's been getting dirty now so I guess she likes to go in there when I'm not around. Yeah, I can take some pictures and upload them later. She's still kinda small so I have her in a 15 gallon terrarium for the time being. I know she'll need something bigger as time goes on.

I cover her up at night because I absolutely cannot sleep without a fan on and I don't want it to dry her out or anything and she seems to like that. By the time I wake up and check on her I see little poos everywhere (lol) and that her food is almost all gone! So I guess she's getting used to getting active/hunting at night! Which is nice! And yes, her perch is up high. Highest point to her lamp - which I think is why she loves it. And if she's happy, I'm happy.

Yes, irThumper! That's totally what they look like. Kinda cute isn't it? I thought at first that she was just exhausted and staying awake because I stressed her out but I guess that's just how they sleep!

You guys are awesome, seriously. I love this forum! Thanks for being so kind. <3

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everything is going well!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information