Thread: New Frog Mommy

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New Frog Mommy

My second and most recent frog (3 days) is a Whites Tree Frog... I could really use some tips on care for this guy or girl and some name suggestions...I got him from the flea market because I felt sorry for him...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New Frog Mommy

That sure is a cute little guy! Welcome to frogforum and frog parenthood!

Here is a care sheet that covers a lot of the basics for whites tree frogs: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

Is that the carrier you brought him home in or are you using it as his home? Whites get big so he'll need a lot more room eventually! A ten gallon tank works well for a quarantine tank, but then you'll need to upgrade for his permanent home. Also I'd strongly recommend removing the moss from his tank and replacing it with Eco earth coco fiber (or just use moist paper towels with no printed designs) since moss can be a huge impaction risk if the frog accidentally swallows some while grabbing a cricket. Speaking of crickets, that cricket is a bit big for such a tiny frog. A good rule of thumb is that the feeder insect shouldn't be longer than the distance between the frog's eyes.

I'd also recommend finding a vet who will do a fecal test for him, since new frogs often come home with parasites. I'm battling them now with one of my new whites, and it is definitely easier to treat if you catch it early!

Congratulations on the new addition and don't hesitate to ask any questions you have!

Nationality
    [United States]

That is a temporary house until I get him an aquarium... Thank you for the info on the moss and I thought the crickets were a little big for him, I usually get the crickets from the pet store for my Cuban Tree Frog and they are smaller but of course that's all the people had at the flea market and he was so skinny so I grabbed a few to hold him over....

Thread Information