Thread: In need of some help

CrownTheMorrigan

Default In need of some help

I recently (as in 3 days ago) brought home a dwarf pixie frog and I'm very concerned about her. I have yet to feed her, because she won't eat, and spends all of her time buried at the bottom of her 20 gallon tank. She is about a year old, so I'm not too concerned about the not eating for a few days as I am about the fact that no matter what I do i cannot get her above the surface. Her tank is kept between 75-90% humidity and around 85-90 degrees. I'm quite new to the hobby and this is my first frog, am I causing this because of the environmental fluctuations? I just want to keep her happy and healthy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: In need of some help

i think your heating and humidity is a bit too high....temps should be at around 75-85 no higher and humidity should be around 70% no higher....you can try that and see if that helps her come out more.....they will naturally dig if u have enough cocofiber for them to do so....hope that helps a little

Nationality
    [Canada]

I cant help you out to much because I don't keep these frogs but if you go to the care article part of the forum there is great article on the ABF and its husbandry. Hope this helps.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi and welcome to the forums fellow Calgarian!

yes, 90f is way overkill, and humidity the best in 70-80 range.
    would you please answer the questions below, the frog might be just adjusting to his environment, but your answers will help us to see if that's the case or smth needs to be addressed and adjusted.

1. Size of enclosure?

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences?

3. Humidity?

4. Temperature?

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?

6. Materials used for substrate?

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?

8. Main food source?

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?)

10. Lighting?

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?

12. When is the last time he/she ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats?

20. How often the frog is handled?

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

CrownTheMorrigan

Thank you for your help, I know 90 is waaay too much but once or twice when I wasn't careful enough spritzing it jumped up to 90% humidity. I try to keep it around 85 but I'm still having trouble feeling out how to time everything. Keeping everything off I can get the tank to around 80-85 right now.

1. 20 gallon, 30" x 12" x 12"

2. Only the one

3. 85% and hopefully drying out

4. 84 F

5. Dechoronated tap water

6. Jungle earth, will be changing it to plantation soil next bag

7. Artificial with Java wood, on big branch in the back with hanging pants on either side, soaking dish and hide are in front, off to either side

8. I'm trying to get it to eat super worms, meal worms and crickets because that's all I can really get, but I'm looking for better alternatives

9. Multivitamin once a week, calcium every other feeding

10. A ridiculous amount of natural lighting

11. Under tank heater on the back wall of the enclosure

12. I have no idea, at work (where i got her from) said she had sent really been eating

13. No poop

14. Pictures are a no go at this moment because they are 'invalid files'

15. No physical changes to my knowledge. No observation chart was kept unfortunately

16. About a year old

17. 3 days

18. Captive bred

19. No frog food. Didn't know there was such a thing

20. Once to get her into the enclosure and once more the first time I tried to feed her

21. Low traffic area, I'm the only one in and out of my room

22. I change her water every day, try and spot clean, and full clean once every week

They often burrow themselves to keep cool, so I would bring the temps down a bit like they were saying.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for delay replying.

everything is spot on! Good job! Except feeding - get nightcrawlers - that the best food available to us in Canada, you can get then at any fishing store that sells bait, but riverfront aquariums sells for the best price (.3$/worm)

superworms/mealworms are very fatty and have a high chitin contend and as such should be avoided. Crickets are ok for younger, but they are not nutritious. My over7" froggy loves crickets though, goes absolutely nuts lol but most big frogs won't even consider small insects as food.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information