Thread: Worried!! 13 days no eating!

threetreefrogs

Default Worried!! 13 days no eating!

I have two red-eyed tree frogs (had three, lost one to red leg 4 days ago). They are adults purchased from Backwater Reptile and received 13 days ago. I've since learned this place is not the most reputable and I'm mortified at the possibility that these frogs may have been wild caught. My concern is that they have not eaten. They are in an 18x18x24 terrarium with artificial foliage and wood. I have a hard time maintaining temps above 73 ish even with UVB light on all day. I keep humidity at around 75%. I offer dusted crickets (appropriate sized) nightly in a bowl. Both frogs appear healthy and are active at night. The male (Michael Jackson, as named by my son) is less shy and I often catch him in the fountain (both fountain and soaking dish are filled with treated tap water, tank is misted with distiller water), the female (Lola) tends to stay toward the back of the tank and hidden. Tomorrow marks two weeks and I'm really worried about them not having eaten. Any suggestions welcomed! I'm including pics.

Michael Jackson

Lola

Their home with a scenic sticker on back and sides covered with dark paper for security.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Worried!! 13 days no eating!

Unfortunately, you're going to have to find a way to get the temps up. I use a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat for my red eyes. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with Amazon.com : Hydor Hydroset Electronic External Thermostat with Temp Dial for All Heater Types : Aquarium Thermometers : Pet Supplies with Amazon.com : Fluker's Repta-Clamp Lamp 8.5-Inch Ceramic with Dimmable Switch : Reptile Houses : Pet Supplies) Prior to getting that, they were heated with a combination of a under tank heater on the side of the tank and a bulb during the day, but that was in a smaller tank (20g high) and my house temps were around 72 at that time, so it wasn't hard to heat. You could also boost their temps with a space heater in the room. I'm sorry, this has to be so frustrating.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also to add... You can use a higher wattage heat lamp during the day but then you will need to mist often. My greys will wake up with a dark blue night bulb, but I've never found anything that the red eyes will wake up with. I use these - http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Floatin...sh+thermometer - ($1-2 at walmart) to measure temps, they are accurate and cheap!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And backwater reptiles isn't a good source for animals, so you should look for another supplier

threetreefrogs

I've since learned that and don't plan to use them again. Wish I had researched that a little better, but trusted their "captive bred" advertising.

threetreefrogs

Thank you, Amy. I'll get on raising the temp immediately. Also, I have the first-aid kit coming from Dr. Frye and wonder if treating them with the med that stimulates appetite would be harmful.

BrittsBugs

Default Worried!! 13 days no eating!

Quote Originally Posted by threetreefrogs View Post
    I've since learned that and don't plan to use them again. Wish I had researched that a little better, but trusted their "captive bred" advertising.
    They get everyone with it at some point. But googling places first to see what forums like these have comments about them is always a good idea. (: But now you know and can pass the word.

-BrittsBugs
    Reptile & Amphibian Enthusiast
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Pets: 6 AUS WTF's, 1 Hon Milk, 1 SM Corn, 1 BP, 5 H.Crabs, 1 C.Gecko, 4 RB Newts, 6 Betas, 5 MH Roaches, 1 L.Gecko, 1 W.Hognose, & so much more

it took my first red eye two weeks to eat, 14 days exactly. When he finally ate, it had been a jumping critter, a baby grasshopper, that landed beside him. Maybe to start off, you should provide flying/jumping critters, as well as a bowl of crickets.

It took my newest red eye a week to eat. I had him in a separate container, with ALL sides blocked. I put a LARGE feeding bowl in his container, so that it was filling up half the container (other side was a water bowl). I did this every night and he started eating after a week. Mine wont eat unless in complete darkness. Cover all sides of the tank if you must.

I keep my heat at 76 - 82 degrees F and my humidity at 75 - 90%.

Its harder during the winter to keep the heat up. I only use a UVB light, as im worried the frogs will burn. I have a heating pad on one side of the tank which doesnt provide enough heat during the cold weather, so I also face a heater at them. I put it as close, or as far away, as needed, to keep the right temp.

Thread Information