Thread: Just a Question About AFK Tankmates :)

c8t10f

Question Just a Question About AFK Tankmates :)

Hi! I just had a question, my AFK Lolipop who I'm pretty sure is a boy lives in a 20 gal long alone with quiet flteration and adequate decor. Here are some pics, could someone confirm his gender?[/URL] . I have had him for 1 year and 6 days and he is doing great, but is a bit fiesty. His diet consists of pellets and fresh assorted raw fish and shrimp and I feed him every other day and Chang 40-50% -of the water once a week. Welk, the other day I was at my LPS and I saw the sweetest AFK about the same color as Lollipop. He/she was very wide but not necessarily fat and as far as I could tel l if I remember correctly, did not ha c e b upital pads slthough it looked a bit small to be sexually mature, about 2 1/4 length wise and maybe 1 1/4 in wide. I also noticed that she was missing her left eye. The area did not seem infected and just a little piece of skin was attached but looked about ready to fall off, otherwise it looked like there had just never been an eye there. The store clerk said she arrived like c this c and h as d been there for weeks because no one wanted a frog with a missing eye. She/he looked great and very healthy. Do you think these two frogs could live peacefully together? I do not want to take care of froglets. Also I have never, no,not once heard Lolipop vocalize at all. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Just a Question About AFK Tankmates :)

Yes, lollipop is a male. Also notice the dark pigment on his "hands". How big is he? Frogs are typically measured from the tip of their nose to their vent. If he isn't much bigger than the one at the store, they will probably be ok together.

c8t10f

@spotfin thanks for the reply!

CJP32

Really the only way to find out is to try. I have a total of 6 ACFs and they all get along fine. We added the last two when they were all adults and there wasn't any problems. I think the main risk is cannibalism so just make sure they are around the same size. I would suggest a quarantine for the new frog just to be safe.

Hi,

as long as the frogs donīt differ significantly in size, they will get along given a big enough system. A 20 gal (long) tank will be enough for 2-3 frogs. As ACFs arenīt really territorial, you could keep two males as well as 1:1 (just in case youīd consider to aim for 3 frogs in total, 1 male:2 females or 3 males would be better than 2 males: 1 female to avoid harassment). As for the possible offspring: the frogs will very likely take care of this themselves; just donīt feed them as long as there are eggs/tadpoles
    I would recommend to quarantine any new arrival though; a missing eye isnīt necessarily a problem, but thereīs always a risk to introduce diseases to your existing system.
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Thread Information