Thread: Shedding!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy Shedding!!!

I have been asking questions about this frog a lot the last few weeks but I am concerned about one last thing, it is constantly shedding. Is this a normal trait? It never leaves the water dish.

1. Size of enclosure 2 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants Only one frog
    3. Humidity 85
    4. Temperature 70-80 ( I need a new thermometer I think)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish Dechlorinated tap/ dechlorinated spring water
    6. Materials used for substrate All Coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. Just the coconut fiber and a water dish
    8. Main food source ​Crickets and dubia roaches (not sure if he is eating though, haven't seen him eat)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) on the crickets but i haven't seen him eat
    10. Lighting Just lighting in the room plus some light from a window nearby
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure A under tank heater that is mounted on the side ( it only seems to get warm though, does anyone have problems with this?)
    12. When is the last time he/she ate No idea ( I have had it for about 5 days)
    13. Have you found poop lately? Not that I know of
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. It seems to be shedding every day and not eating.
    16. How old is the frog Not sure but it is young, only about 1.5 inches
    17. How long have you owned him/her? 5 days
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred From a pet store so I would say captive
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled Only when needed
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area? About medium, not too much
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) Water changes every day

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BrittsBugs

Default Shedding!!!

Well, his enclosure/tank/container is much too tiny. Pacmans are usually kept in large tanks or totes. The big long plastic bins. They tend to grow very quickly.

They will shed as often as conditions are favorable and enough food is provided.

You likely purchased your pac while he's at a stage where he will go through a very rapid growth. And get large quite quickly.

I would highly advise a bigger cage and a sufficient water bowl asap. Moisture is very important when they shed otherwise it's like trying to rub off sandpaper.

Water bowl should be deep enough to cover his mouth, but not his nostrils as they are horrible swimmers and can easily drown.

It's only necessary to feed him every other day.

Juveniles need a floor space of 8 x 16 in but he will soon outgrow this size and eventually need a terrarium measuring at least 12 x 14 in height isn't important because they don't climb provide fake plants with large leaves so they have something to shuffle down under as they burrow into the coco fiber.

(: Congrats on your new frog. Pacs are fun just be careful of dangling fingersz

-BrittsBugs
    Reptile & Amphibian Enthusiast
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Pets: 6 AUS WTF's, 1 Hon Milk, 1 SM Corn, 1 BP, 5 H.Crabs, 1 C.Gecko, 4 RB Newts, 6 Betas, 5 MH Roaches, 1 L.Gecko, 1 W.Hognose, & so much more

Default Re: Shedding!!!

I agree with Brittany completely the only two things I have to comment on is that a heat may be making his hide spots unfavorable and that his bedding if not already should be around 1.5-3" deep so he can burry himself entirely or partially. His bedding also should be wet enough to form shapes but not so wet it's like soup. Other then that him not eating is due to the shed as he is having trouble with the skin around his eyes blocks his view and he doesn't know where to lunge try hand feed him chopped up night crawler for better control of feedings

Nationality
    [United States]

His substrate is fine, his eyes do not seem cloudy like there is anything covering. I have tried hand feeding and he is not responding

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by BrittsBugs View Post
    Well, his enclosure/tank/container is much too tiny. Pacmans are usually kept in large tanks or totes. The big long plastic bins. They tend to grow very quickly.

They will shed as often as conditions are favorable and enough food is provided.

You likely purchased your pac while he's at a stage where he will go through a very rapid growth. And get large quite quickly.

I would highly advise a bigger cage and a sufficient water bowl asap. Moisture is very important when they shed otherwise it's like trying to rub off sandpaper.

Water bowl should be deep enough to cover his mouth, but not his nostrils as they are horrible swimmers and can easily drown.

It's only necessary to feed him every other day.

Juveniles need a floor space of 8 x 16 in but he will soon outgrow this size and eventually need a terrarium measuring at least 12 x 14 in height isn't important because they don't climb provide fake plants with large leaves so they have something to shuffle down under as they burrow into the coco fiber.

(: Congrats on your new frog. Pacs are fun just be careful of dangling fingersz

-BrittsBugs
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Pets: 6 AUS WTF's, 1 Hon Milk, 1 SM Corn, 1 BP, 5 H.Crabs, 1 C.Gecko, 4 RB Newts, 6 Betas, 5 MH Roaches, 1 L.Gecko, 1 W.Hognose, & so much more

I'll point it one more time today, im getting irritated here sorry

please do not advise on what you do not know!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Emily1 View Post
    I have been asking questions about this frog a lot the last few weeks but I am concerned about one last thing, it is constantly shedding. Is this a normal trait? It never leaves the water dish.

1. Size of enclosure 2 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants Only one frog
    3. Humidity 85
    4. Temperature 70-80 ( I need a new thermometer I think)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish Dechlorinated tap/ dechlorinated spring water
    6. Materials used for substrate All Coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. Just the coconut fiber and a water dish
    8. Main food source ​Crickets and dubia roaches (not sure if he is eating though, haven't seen him eat)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) on the crickets but i haven't seen him eat
    10. Lighting Just lighting in the room plus some light from a window nearby
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure A under tank heater that is mounted on the side ( it only seems to get warm though, does anyone have problems with this?)
    12. When is the last time he/she ate No idea ( I have had it for about 5 days)
    13. Have you found poop lately? Not that I know of
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. It seems to be shedding every day and not eating.
    16. How old is the frog Not sure but it is young, only about 1.5 inches
    17. How long have you owned him/her? 5 days
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred From a pet store so I would say captive
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled Only when needed
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area? About medium, not too much
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) Water changes every day

Everything seems perfectly fine, except I'd lower humidity a bit, try not to go over 80, keeping in high humidity for prolonged time can cause respiratory problems.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Shedding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrittsBugs View Post
    Excuse me? I do not know WTF you think you are. But you sure as hell have no idea what I do and do not know. IDGAF if your irritated today or not buddy. So you can get your panties out your *** and get over it. Capiche?

Everything I advised is absolutely in line with proper care. A 2 gallon tank is much too small for a juvenile pacman period! If you don't know proper care for a pacman you can shut up and take notes. They're terrestrial frogs, they need floor space, and a tank with width or length to it. The setup is not perfectly fine. I do not have to personally own a pacman to know care or ask a pacman keeper or breeder about proper husbandry to discern if I'd ever want to own one.

If you have an issue with me personally you can take it to my message inbox.

-BrittsBugs
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Please do calm down , if you disagree with something that someone says, you can kindly explain why you disagree. It will help everyone learn from mistakes that they have made. Lija is very knowledgable and helpful and you would do wisely to listen carefully to her advice. Foul language is strongly discouraged here. It also does nothing but stir up resentment and conflict and hinder progress and understanding. There is always a civilized way to end a dispute.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

9. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Foul and abusive language is against the forum TOS. Brittany, i would hope you would read the TOS please Frog Forum - FrogForum Terms of Use (Rules)

consider this a warning. any other violations of the terms of service will be cause for an immediate ban. i am going to lock the thread and delete the abusive posts.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri