Thread: Heating issues and Hygrotherm

Default Heating issues and Hygrotherm

Hi guys, i'm having a hell of a time setting my temps correctly inside my 30x40x35(cm) repti-zoo glass terrarium. Atm i'm using only a 7W heatmat on the left side of the tank, taped on it, with a thermostate to control the temperature. The problem is, that the temperature almost NEVER reaches the one indicated.

So, i was considering to buy something like the repti zoo Hygrotherm, and attach it to a brand new ceramic emitter and to an automatic fogger so i just dont have to worry about temps and stuff no more.

BUT. i live in Italy, and thats the biggest problem, since i cant find any store that has that controller here. Can you guys maybe get me to te right direction? My guy Mr.Nice here is cold

This is the front of the terrarium

This is the heatmat on the side

This is the internal, super basic setup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Heating issues and Hygrotherm

Ya the 7watt heat matt wont heat up that, you may need to get another one or go up a size. heat matts are a pain when it comes to heating up one of these enclosures. Also from the looks of your picture you have the probe for your temp gauge right against the wall with the matt. You to need to move it away from directly being against it because you getting the temp of the glass and not the actual ambient air temp. If you move that probe about an inch or 2 you see temp drop even more, and that is were it needs to be because he doesn't sit right against glass. You could find a hygrotherm on ebay or amazon, and a lot people use the ceramic heat emitter or heat producing light and fogger hooked up to the hygrotherm. And if that probe isn't were your getting your temp reading from disregard that part. If its from that analog gauge you can move it right to the middle of that wall about an inch above the substrate, and if it is your temp reading will go up. And digital gauges are more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Ya the 7watt heat matt wont heat up that, you may need to get another one or go up a size. heat matts are a pain when it comes to heating up one of these enclosures. Also from the looks of your picture you have the probe for your temp gauge right against the wall with the matt. You to need to move it away from directly being against it because you getting the temp of the glass and not the actual ambient air temp. If you move that probe about an inch or 2 you see temp drop even more, and that is were it needs to be because he doesn't sit right against glass. You could find a hygrotherm on ebay or amazon, and a lot people use the ceramic heat emitter or heat producing light and fogger hooked up to the hygrotherm. And if that probe isn't were your getting your temp reading from disregard that part. If its from that analog gauge you can move it right to the middle of that wall about an inch above the substrate, and if it is your temp reading will go up. And digital gauges are more accurate.
    Thanks a lot sir! Now this is what i did before going to sleep last night, i'm too concerned about my lil guy.
    I bought, in combination these products:

1-Reptile planet thermo Hygrostat Repti control pro

1- 100W Terra ceramic heat emitter

(Yeah this is the 150 version but anyway, brand and shape are the same)

1-Repti socket pro

I was basically tired to have issues and i bought all the expensive stuff needed in one time. I'm also getting an automatic fogger for the Hygrotherm, so i wont have ANY issues with temps and s**t.

What do you guys think?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

These are cool looking toys! We don't have they brand here, but definately very cool looking!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    These are cool looking toys! We don't have they brand here, but definately very cool looking!
    Sure they are! I bought the best stuff from the online store ! Tomorrow everything will be here! Cant wait to set up my definitive enclosure! Just a question Lija, what about the ceramic emitter? Do you think 100W are ok or not? Consider that it wi be plugged into the hygrotherm so it'll turn on and off automatically!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, I know you asked this to Lija but she is not on the forum so thought I would give an answer to your question and help out. Yes the 100 watt will be ok, especially if you still have that little 7 watt matt on the side. If you get it to hit a steady 82f to 83f during the day that's perfect, and I don't think your going to have any problems doing that when your new equipment comes in.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yep, Cory is right! As usual

you'll have a controller, so you will be just fine. You need to get control readings with smth accurate, like infrared gun once in a while. Or just to have gauges to monitor if your controller is working like it should. I usually just go with infrared gun through all my cages once a week.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Yep, Cory is right! As usual

you'll have a controller, so you will be just fine. You need to get control readings with smth accurate, like infrared gun once in a while. Or just to have gauges to monitor if your controller is working like it should. I usually just go with infrared gun through all my cages once a week.
    Wonderful! But i wonder how can i get an infrared gun to check with?
    Hey, I know you asked this to Lija but she is not on the forum so thought I would give an answer to your question and help out. Yes the 100 watt will be ok, especially if you still have that little 7 watt matt on the side. If you get it to hit a steady 82f to 83f during the day that's perfect, and I don't think your going to have any problems doing that when your new equipment comes in.
    Thanks! So i just keep the heatmatt on 24/7!

Anyway, equipment is finally here!
    But i seem to have some problems mounting the heatlamp, its not wired at all! This is what i see:

Since i'm not an electrician, even if this could be easy, i cant have it figured out :/

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, did you end up figuring out to wire that light fixture? Im not great with that stuff either so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice and end up being the cause of your house burning down or something. L.O.L But if you haven't figured it out yet and don't get a response here if you post this in the terrarium and enclosure part of the forum I know there is couple of guys that check that part of the forum a lot and they will be able to help you for sure.

Hey, did you end up figuring out to wire that light fixture? Im not great with that stuff either so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice and end up being the cause of your house burning down or something. L.O.L But if you haven't figured it out yet and don't get a response here if you post this in the terrarium and enclosure part of the forum I know there is couple of guys that check that part of the forum a lot and they will be able to help you for sure.
    Yeah i did it! but the hygrotherm humidifier plug doesnt work so it doesnt activate the devide when humidity goes down. Might have to RMA....jeez

Nationality
    [Canada]

Im glad you figured it out, and ya that sucks you cant get the humidifier to work. Its a pain when your so excited to get something and then it gets there only to figure out you have to send it back.

Im glad you figured it out, and ya that sucks you cant get the humidifier to work. Its a pain when your so excited to get something and then it gets there only to figure out you have to send it back.
    Actually i did a couple wiring, opening the whole thing up, and now it seems to work i have to found a way to get the fogger work correctly though, because it spays water all over the place when it runs, and tonight i got my tank completely soaked in water so i had to change errthing this morning. The guy looks like this and it needs to be soaking in water to work:

I might have to buy a curved tube and seal the bottom and put the humidifier inside, so no water comes out. Any suggestions?

Nationality
    [Canada]

To be honest I have seen these but have never used one so I don't know the first thing about this kind of fogger. But ya your idea seems to be on the right track. What if you put it in a container like u said but put a lid on it with some holes. That way when the fog comes out it can escape through the holes still but the water will just stay the in the container instead of splashing all over the place. But then will that thing be safe sitting in water, again I have seen them but don't know exactly how it works. If you cant figure it out I would post a new thread in the enclosure part of the forum and if a guy name Bill or Paul see it I bet they will be able help you out.

Thread Information