Thread: Is too much water too bad?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Is too much water too bad?

I bought a very small green pacman frog yesterday from a local pet store who had him in a very tiny cage with moss and no water. I brought him home, put him in a new cage with partial water (very shallow). He has been soaking in the water for almost 24 hours. Should this be something to be concerned about or is this normal?
    He looks otherwise healthy and hasn't eaten yet but I haven't even had him for 2 days so im not too worried about that.
    The water was treated and the substrate is coconut fiber.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Is too much water too bad?

Hello,

Good job on rescuing the poor little guy! Pics would be appreciated. If he hasn't had water for a while he will probably be in there for a while.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is too much water too bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Hello,

Good job on rescuing the poor little guy! Pics would be appreciated. If he hasn't had water for a while he will probably be in there for a while.
    This is him in his little corner of shallow water
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nationality
    [United States]

You should remove the water from the bottom of the tank and provide a shallow water dish for the frog to soak in. Too much water in the substrate creates an evironment that breeds mold, bacteria and fungus. Substrate should be damp but not soaking wet. When squeezed no water should drip out. And remember to keep temps between 80-83 during the daynand 75-77 at night with humidity between 70-80%. Here is the forum's caresheet if you have not already seen it. Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    You should remove the water from the bottom of the tank and provide a shallow water dish for the frog to soak in. Too much water in the substrate creates an evironment that breeds mold, bacteria and fungus. Substrate should be damp but not soaking wet. When squeezed no water should drip out. And remember to keep temps between 80-83 during the daynand 75-77 at night with humidity between 70-80%. Here is the forum's caresheet if you have not already seen it. Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding
    The substrate is not soaked, it is just a little portion like that, there are a thin layer of rocks under the substrate so it is not sitting in water. The substrate you see is just some that fell into the water when I was setting up the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Emily1 View Post
    The substrate is not soaked, it is just a little portion like that, there are a thin layer of rocks under the substrate so it is not sitting in water. The substrate you see is just some that fell into the water when I was setting up the tank.
    Sounds good to me, he might just be thirsty is all if he's been soaking in water for awhile. I can kinda see but I can't quite tell, the water only goes up to his chin correct? These frogs can actually drown since they're not good swimmers but with a low level of water like that he should be fine even if he wants to sit there for even longer.

Very nice pacman otherwise! He's got a beautiful green! (Or she?) Haha.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you plan to keep your setup half water and half land do you have a filter? if not you will need to go out and buy one because they produce a lot of waste and that is what they use there water bowl for a lot. If you don't have a filter you are going to have to tear that whole setup down every day to every other day to change the water. With out a filter you are just creating bacterias in your tank that are eventually going to make him sick. Ad if he has been In there for 24 hrs you will have to change it tonight because I imagine he as peed in there a few times.A water bowl would be easier IMO.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    If you plan to keep your setup half water and half land do you have a filter? if not you will need to go out and buy one because they produce a lot of waste and that is what they use there water bowl for a lot. If you don't have a filter you are going to have to tear that whole setup down every day to every other day to change the water. With out a filter you are just creating bacterias in your tank that are eventually going to make him sick. Ad if he has been In there for 24 hrs you will have to change it tonight because I imagine he as peed in there a few times.A water bowl would be easier IMO.
    I have changed it to a water bowl and am letting him soak in some room temp. water with a tiny bit of honey. He seems to be shedding and doesn't feel solid when I pick him up. I didnt know if that was normal.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If he doesn't feel solid that would be good sign, that means he isn't impacted with anything he has recently ate if that's what you mean. And the poor little guy has probably spent so much time in the water because he was probably severely dehydrated from not having water at the store.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks everyone for replying. After the soak I put him back in the cage with three sides covered and he seems a little more normal. Just sluggish and shedding I suppose.

Thread Information