Thread: Red-eyed tree frog is dark green and in the water dish two mornings in a row

threetreefrogs

Default Red-eyed tree frog is dark green and in the water dish two mornings in a row

I'm unable to get a photo to upload, but two mornings in a row, the same frog has been very dark green in color and found in the water dish. I have three of them, and have only had them for about 10 days. So far none of them have eaten, though the other two appear to be healthy. I've kept the humidity at about 55-65% and the temp at close to 75%. I have moss covering the felt-like subtrate, a water dish I change daily, a fountain, artificial foliage for them to climb, a nice-sized branch, red light at night and UVB light during the day, and offer them dusted crickets (not too big) nightly. Their terranium is the 18x18x24. I mist with distilled water, but use treated tap water for the water dish. I'm getting worried. The frog has now move from the water dish, but is attached to the wood in a way that is not typical of how they sleep. The hind feet are exposed and she looks "droopy".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red-eyed tree frog is dark green and in the water dish two mornings in a row

Hello, your humidity is too low. It should be 70-80%.

could you answer these questions, we'll help you fix any problems . Number the questions please

Tree Frog

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Red-eyed tree frog is dark green and in the water dish two mornings in a row

Agree with Eli, get that humidity UP. Do you have a full screen top? If so, you may need to cover 1/2-3/4's of it. Covering 3 sides of the tank should help them relax a little. Turn off the red light at night, a lot of reds are sensitive and will not wake up to eat. It's normal for them to go darker at night but they should be a nice bright green during the day.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

threetreefrogs

Answers to many of the questions you asked are stated in my post...species, size of terrarium, # of inhabitants, temp, humidity level, dietary concerns, etc.

I've up'ed the humidity to 75%, as recommended. The three red-eyed tree frogs were received through the mail from Backwater Reptiles 9 days ago. They were introduced to their new 18x18x24 terranium with all new materials (tank and all accessories had been rinsed with warm water). Temp always hovers around 75 degrees by way of a double dome light that shines with white UVB light by day, red light by night (to maintain temp). The tank is going to be cleaned for the first time this weekend. I mist several times a day with distilled water to maintain the humidity (which is difficult to do at this dry time in Nebraska). There is a water dish for soaking which is filled with tap water that is treated with Zoo Med Reptisafe Instant Terrarium Water Conditioner and changed daily. I have the felt-like subtrate (I can't remember what it's called, but it's designed for this purspose) covered with moss to help maintain moisture. The terrarium is adorned with a nice-sized climbing log and an artificial plant. The back is covered with a scenic sticker and the two sides are covered with black paper to reduce stress. Frogs are offered 1/4" crickets daily, which have been dusted in calcium and vitamin D3. They have yet to eat. I place them in a plastic bowl and keep track of count. All three frogs are adults and were captive bred. They handled very infrequently...only about one time each to show them the dish with crickets so they'd know where to go to hunt. Hands were washed prior. Currently, the frogs are kept in my classroom. I manage to keep the noise level down (keeping from stressing the frogs has been a great incentive) but I still wonder if it's too "busy" for them. My husband is helping me haul them home this weekend where the daytime activity is at a minimum.

I contacted Dr. Frye today, as the female frog had new symptoms this morning. She was found in the water dish again and now has bright green spots...consistent with a bacterial infection, from what I've read. The following meds are on their way:
    Metronidizole
    Silversulfadiazene
    Baytril
    Panacur

In addition, I'm to be watching for a fecal sample to test for parasites. Might I add, Dr. Frye is amazing. I emailed him with my concerns and some pics this morning and he got back with me in less than 5 minutes!! The other two frogs appear healthy. Their lack of eating is a concern for me, but from what I've read they can go for up to 2 weeks. Any additional advice on quarantining, etc, is welcomed. I'm worried about our little Charlee. (The other two are Michael Jackson, as named by my son, and Lola). I'd love to include a photo, but this site is not allowing me to do so.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red-eyed tree frog is dark green and in the water dish two mornings in a row

Backwater Reptiles is notorious for selling sick and unhealthy frogs. Just so you are aware.

If you are having trouble keeping humidity up, you can partially cover the screen top. However, tree frogs need good ventilation so don't overdo it. (Already stated by Amy)

Moss is an impaction risk, the intestine can become blocked if they swallow it.

Also recommend adding a multivitamin supplement for dusting once a week.

You should put each frog in its own quarantine tank. The tank should include:
    -damp unprinted paper towels as substrate
    -a water dish
    -a place to hide
    -something to climb on
    And the tank should have minimal decor. This is especially helpful in determining who's poop is who's. And also to prevent the spreading of diseases if they haven't already spread.

I do hope your frog gets better. Good luck!

You can use either a mobile device or photobucket to upload photos. Sorry we are having problems.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

7. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

threetreefrogs

That's interesting to know about Backwater. Do you have a recommendation for where to purchase RETFs from, for future reference? I'll go ahead with buying three separate containers to quarantine each of the frogs until Charlee is treated. How long do you suggest keeping her isolated?

Thanks so so much for your input. I felt week-prepared to care for these frogs, but did not expect to be dealing with an illness, let alone so soon. I hope her illness is not caused by something I did or did not do.

I tried to upload pics fr my phone, but no luck. ��

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Keep a close eye on the other 3 as there is a good chance they may develop symptoms also. I would keep her isolated for 30 days after treatment is complete. Chances are that it was nothing you did, as Eli said, Backwater has a bad reputation.

Have you considered keeping the red eyes at home permanently and having more active daytime frogs (like firebellied toads) in your classroom? They do stress very easily. I keep mine in the most peaceful room in my home.

I have bought 2 of my red eyes from LLLReptile, they came in very healthy and in great shape. Mike Novy is a very well known and reputable breeder of red eyes also.

For the QT tank, you can hang artificial leaves from the screen top too, that is where mine usually slept. Here is an example of my 10 g qt tank (For 2 juvenile males) - http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...tml#post227557 Look at post #5. I had 3/4 of the screen top covered with glad press and seal.

Good luck and keep us updated! I'm glad you got in contact with Dr Frye!

Edit - We are having problems with the photo uploader right now. They do work if you use another photo hosting site such as photobucket.

threetreefrogs

I am having my hubby help me haul them to my house today. They will live in my son's bedroom, where there is little to no activity during the day, and quiet nights. Thanks for your help.

As for Charlee, I'm losing hope. Her health is declining quickly, and now I'm noticing the dreaded red color on her underside. I'll do everything I can, but it doesn't look good. I uploaded a few pics to my Shutterfly and am attempting posting.

threetreefrogs

Charlee has died. I feel like a failure. ��

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's not your fault though, clearly that frog had an advanced illness when you got her Always heartbreaking to lose one no matter what though. Those pictures looked like she was beyond saving at this point. You did all you could. Keep the meds on hand in case the others develop symptoms.

Thread Information