Thread: Two new vivs. two different methods of BG.

CrazyAirborne

Default Two new vivs. two different methods of BG.

Well as soon as i found the joy of building vives, after making my HEX VIVE, i picked up this tank free from CL, cuz i knew i wanted to make a full BG with a water fall. My hex vive turned out nice, but i never did a BG with it. So ive been working on this thing for about a month or two. i kept finding little spots that i needed to re-silicone. I pretty much hate silicone now and maybe it was also cuz i only used peat moss to apply to the silicone that i kept finding small spots missing. either way. its turned out nice in the end. Im also moving across the ocean in a few months so there was no way i wanted to spend lots of money on wood and plants that i wont be able to take with me. so I made PVC WOOD, and also recently found some cool wood out around my house. These both are native vives, since the large one is going to house Grey Tree frogs, and the 10g upright is home to my emerging frogletts right now. im thinking they are Peepers.

building in progress. i ended up cutting out the corner of the FB for the little pond.

i still need to make some sort of latch to hold the door closed.

waterfall is powered by a homemade canister filter/pump. its working good so far. and it was fun to build.

since all the latest threads are about clay BG's I did my duty and went to Walmart and got some special kitty KL. let it soak for a bit, thru in some peat moss, and Wal-Ah!! cool BG that seems to be holding up really nice, and MAN WAS IS EASY!! I then found a neat piece of driftwood, (hole thru the center, kinda hard to see) and bam. 2 day vive. its now home to 4 frogletts, with about 10 more tads left to morph. I dont have any pics of the frogletts yet, but ill grab some soon. after making a BG out of clay, i dont think ill ever go back. I tried out a Junglebox.net vertical kit on this one. My 10g was apparently a couple mm off of their kits size, so i had to dremel a bit but i made it work and it was handy not having to do all the leg work to make the front like i did with the bigger one.

the banana is for the fruit flies :P

this isnt anything special, i just need something for the frogletts. but i did find some really nice moss out back that i pressed into the clay and i really hope it starts spreading.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Two new vivs. two different methods of BG.

Very nice, but that is grass in there isn't it? It doesn't usually work in terrariums. If it does end up working for you though I would like to know what kind of grass it is. Normally we are stuck with dwarf mondo grass(not a true grass) and that is about it for grassy plants in indoor terrariums.

CrazyAirborne

yeah its grass. i just needed something to help the frogletts feel a little more secure. It wont be a permanent fixture in the vive tho. that whole vive with the clay BG was kind of a experiment.

CrazyAirborne

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAirborne View Post
    yeah its grass. i just needed something to help the frogletts feel a little more secure. It wont be a permanent fixture in the vive tho. that whole vive with the clay BG was kind of a experiment.
    Seriously wicked man! Nice job! By far that is one of the best set ups ived seen. Well not THE best since I remember seeing this one in youtube that I dont know how the guy did it but it was awesome! Anywho you did a very good job. Yes you can use grass for set ups. Ived used "pet grass" on my set ups. I have some on my box turtle set up. He munches on it every now and then. Ever tried adding orchids? I think I saw on another site someone using something called "jewel orchid" it was extremely gorgeous! She was using it for her dart frog set up. I recommend coverring the sides with black construction paper. Not only does it make the inside of the tank show better, but it relieves stress on the frogs.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have to say flat out that when I saw the first two photos I thought "this isn't going to look good" but the third photo converted me. You did an awesome job on these. I congratulate you and thank you for sharing how you did them along with the photos. I agree on the grass - get rid of it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very nice set up. Well done

Kurt

I love it, especially the ferns!

CrazyAirborne

yeah if i wasnt moving out of the country in 3 months, i would have done things a little differently and probably spent alot more money! I just had to use plants that I already had around the house, and things i could find outside. I really wanted to get some cool wood from the LPS but i wouldnt be able to take it with me, and wood is expensive!

thanks for all the compliments guys!

CrazyAirborne

and these are the little guys who enjoy climbing around on the grass

this picture seemed to catch alot of green pigments. They are not green looking really at all, it only seems to be when you get the right angle on them that u see the green. Any ideas on species?

better pic with the grass cleaned up a bit
    on the top of this one, those white clips came with my junglebox conversion kit, to hold the glass closed. Any ideas where I can get more of them? I dont even know what they are called.

Kurt

Looks to be a gray treefrog.

He/She is so adorable! especially its tail. :] You have done a very good job.

Nationality
    [United States]

Cool vivariums! Too bad grass doesn't work well, I was considering giving it a shot.

Also, Im 90% sure those are grey tree frogs, as I just raised about a dozen tadpoles and released them. I also thought they were peepers at first.

Thread Information