Thread: Introducing My Small Slow Growing Frog Colony

BrittsBugs

Default Introducing My Small Slow Growing Frog Colony

These are the first four I bought from a young lady selling them on Craigslist, they were so cheap I couldn't bear to think of them ending up with some other young owner who eventually becomes distracted and forgets about their lovely froggies. So, for $20 for all four I gladly contacted her and eastern out into custody bract with her mother and agreed to pick them up and pay the adoption fee. (Here is the first picture of the four, and only picture of the four I have)

I set them up in a temporary 20L terrarium lined with moist paper towels provided various water bowels. And muster them twice daily. I then go to researching reading page after page. Noting all information and noticed quickly all information was very generalized and that many care sheets contradicted each other, all available information seemed to be 50/50. So, I decided maybe I should look into books at the barbed and noble and purchase some crickets and vitamin/mineral powder to dust the crickets. I browsed around my local pet store for suitable supplies to provide foliage/climbing branches, and a substrate that holds moisture well, and possible decor to add to give them levels and allow them to venture both high and to help hide should they feel a need to be secure. Lol, admittedly not an ideal setup. (I know now, for a multitude of reasons, but not half bad I suppose)

I decided early on to avoid substrates, and stick to a bare bottom for easier cleaning purposes both spot cleaning and weekly full cage wash down with hot water. But I did find one little guy dead while transferring each froggy yo their separate feeding tanks. I was quite sad, I was very fond of the little cuties coloring, though he had not yet ate crickets with me. I contacted the lady's mother to ask how often she'd fed them, if they had ever been dusted with frog vita/min powder, what water they used, and what size crickets. The answers weren't much help, but I at least found out they weren't getting any vitamins/minerals and the crickets were not guy loaded the night before they were fed to the froggies, and they were fed once weekly, crickets if various sizes just dumped into the cage and re-supplemented when they looked to be all gone. Because I had not had them checked by my exotic vet I couldn't determine what the possible cause of death could of been, if I was in error or it was something I couldn't have controlled. I was then left with these three beauties.

I continued research, reading, and adjusting the set up as I learned more. I learned quickly not to use wood hides, moss is bad even when the frogs are fed separately out of their enclosure. Lol, they have a horrid tendency to eat any substrate small enough to swallow and mistake the substrate and each other for food from time to time. We're many times I had to intervene when a big guy tried to eat a slightly smaller guys leg.

Once they seem to be eating and growing nicely, I started to look into coloration and eye color. I didn't turn up much at this time. But they were healthy and all fit the description to a 'T'.

Sadly after owning them for a little over a year, I ended up moving cities, and moved them with me and my partner and majority of my herp collection. Once we settled into the new house they seemed to adjust nicely and with almost no stress at all. Unfortunately, come August that year my mom called in a huge favor. And she asked we help her mother move with all my brothers across country. We agreed to fly over and help. And left the herps in the care of my in-laws. We left them with instructions, care instructions, and explicit instructions to freshen all animals water daily. The first week we got all positive feedback when we'd call them and check in, when we had reception. As week two was close to an end and my mom was driving us down dropping us off at home, we got a call and were informed one of the frogs had a black color. A few days after we finally arrived home, to find that the gorgeous purple blue eyed white had passed. I can only assume they started to slack and in care and the frogs started to suffer dehydration. I had to quarantine the last two and put them in a hydration container to help them get water, while I cleaned the cage and washed everything with scalding hot water.

Thankfully the last two seemed to recover and started to gain weight back and get a very healthy bright coloration back.

Though some days they appeared much more green or much more blue then others. But always one or the other.

Shortly after I got them looking heathy and borderline obese again, I found out I was expecting. I cut down my herp collection, and started to follow various amphibian breeders, seeing the prices of CB Whites, and then saw a post about Bob Mailloux's Snowflake White, and had to follow his Sandfire Dragon Care. inc, among other amazing hi ism breeders like Mike's Phat Frogs, and Josh's Frogs. I've been keeping an eye on all morphs and prices White's run for and watching Craigslist, and other various places left me facebook reptile and amphibian groups for any all White's up for sale and checking in at local Petco's for any that are out in the back due to various reasons, that are often up for adoption.

This little cutie is the newest addition, and was adopted from another person via Craigslist for $10. The cutie is much too small to join my White's in size and age. And has been put into n his own 90 day quarantine container until he's confirmed healthy, and gets a little bigger to be out in a mini setup until he reaches 3 - 3 1/2 inches in length.

I'm not 100% on gender I just use he and him, since I say guy as a general terminology. But here is a picture of the newest addition and one of my two that's around what I assume is 3 - 3 1/2 years of age. Given their size when I adopted them and growth since.

I would post a picture of their current set up, but it's currently under construction, I'm making their enclosure semi-aquatic, and creating a waterfall that will fall into a shallow pool of water in their cage, bottom lined with large pond-like rocks and various lily pad-like decor items for them to climb up on and bask in the daylight, water level low enough that it doesn't exceed the top of all provided water dishes (soaking pools as I call them), incorporating fake and pants to hide in n, under, or beneath against the glass. Much like the newest addition is against the wall of his tank.

Oh, I've had him a full day, and he ate two small crickets. He's looking much more lively than when I first received him. Got quite the hops in him too. <3

That's my current frog colony as of now. I use to have names, but I can't tell my two blue phase normals apart. But the newest is a confirmed normal with Bob.

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to frog forum ! That's a cool story, though I'm sorry for the losses of your two frogs . You seem to really know what your doing too.

with your love of whites tree frogs I think you and a specific irThumper will get along quite well

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Introducing My Small Slow Growing Frog Colony

Welcome to FF! We never stop learning so keep on researching. You've picked a great place to find out about all things "Frog"!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

BrittsBugs

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Welcome to frog forum ! That's a cool story, though I'm sorry for the losses of your two frogs . You seem to really know what your doing too.

with your love of whites tree frogs I think you and a specific irThumper will get along quite well
    ^_^ Thank you. I do miss them
    Dearly, wish I'd known more in the beginning. And that there would've been a way to take them along for the trip in August, but I didn't want to stress them out. Poor little guys were dragged all my on a 2 hour move to another city and had only two months to settle in and accustom to the noises of the city. (All the copters, sirens, and the occasional ruckus of barking dogs)

Oh! Somebody who else who has a never ending fascination and borderline obsession with Whites. (:

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP

BrittsBugs

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Welcome to FF! We never stop learning so keep on researching. You've picked a great place to find out about all things "Frog"!
    Thank you. Agreed, I'm constantly learning new things. And finding more and more amphibian breeders who work with whites. <3 This forums should help my frog problem lol, my fiancé calls it an addiction, but they're just so cute. I can't help, but read everything new I come across about them and constantly look for new items or decor for their enclosure.

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrittsBugs View Post
    Dearly, wish I'd known more in the beginning. And that there would've been a way to take them along for the trip in August, but I didn't want to stress them out. Poor little guys were dragged all my on a 2 hour move to another city and had only two months to settle in and accustom to the noises of the city. (All the copters, sirens, and the occasional ruckus of barking dogs)

Oh! Somebody who else who has a never ending fascination and borderline obsession with Whites. (:

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP
    Don't know how I missed Eli saying that! :P
    Borderline? I'd say full on WTFtopia! I've talked with Bob a time or two myself, on FB at any rate. A Super Snowflake is my go-to bucket list frog, and my next planned purchase will, hopefully, be a Honey blue-eyed.

Will definitely talk more about our mutual White's obsession later, here it is 1:30 AM and last night I had only four hours of sleep, so have exhausted my energy reserves... oog. Time for Zzzs!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

BrittsBugs

Very nice. Agreed I'm bee-line for the blue eyed honey and black phantom. I like the super snowflake and snowflake Morph's, but there's some over seas competition to buying the more pure stress beer strains of them. Couple amphibian breeders are talking some crazy money. /).(\ Waay over $200 a frog. Lol, I could buy some azures for that price.

But I'm definitely watching to see who else starts breeding them.

Ahh, I think my times about an hour ahead of yours lol. But I don't mandate my hours at the moment. Lol, I'm helpless to listen to a mini-me. (:

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrittsBugs View Post

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP

That's the only bad part of owning frogs: Moving and vacations. I'm going to move eventually, not looking forward to transporting a fragile tank!

BrittsBugs

That's the absolute truth. Thankfully it will be a long while before I move again. But I've got temporary moving containers ready to be set up for the move. Best I can do for them. :/ I can't talk myself into trusting the mail to be fragile enough with them to be sent ahead of time before I move wherever we finally decide, to live permanently.

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP
    5 HC
    1 CG
    4 RB Newts
    6 Betas
    5 MHR

Frogger00

I can't believe the purple/brown blue eyed died! What a beautiful frog...your others are very pretty as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrittsBugs

Agreed. I have vowed to never leave the in laws in charge of my froggies should family demand I visit or help someone move. Lol, I located this awesome local mom and pop shop to care for them until my return for a fee, like those places you can take your dog into. I miss the purple blue eyed dearly. Lol loved it's attitude would shoot pee at anybody who tried to handle him or take him off my shoulder. xD Never saw someone look so offended and put out. I definitely have my eyes open to find another colored similarly.

-BrittsBugs
    5 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP
    5 HC
    1 CG
    4 RB Newts
    6 Betas
    5 MHR

BrittsBugs

Grabbed some pictures of the white I shall call Mr. Greene
    He has a deformity or mutation. And I figured I'd share it, now this doesn't hinder him really, though he has never been a frog to try to stick to the side of his cage. He prefers soaking in his bowl or chilling in his cave. It has not limited his jumping ability, his feisty appetite or him using his hands to grip or grab, and he's a very agile climber/mover.

-BrittsBugs
    6 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP
    5 HC
    1 CG
    4 RB Newts
    6 Betas
    5 MHR

Nationality
    [United States]

Very cute frogs .

I'm sorry for your losses. This is a great place to learn and talk with others.

The deformity looks as though it could be from lack of calcium, I'm presuming when young. Do you use any calcium with vitamin D3?

The blue eyes and snowflakes are really pretty. There's definitely a beauty in the "normals" too. They have the cutest faces!

Congrats on your newest find and your army of frogs, he he .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

BrittsBugs

Yes, they never get crickets without a good shake in the calcium vitamin bag. And I personally breed and gutload the crickets before each feeding day.

Agreed, I once tried going for a WTF in every color I could find. Now I just take them in as I find them.

Wish I knew all previous feeding and care, but ultimately when someones selling a herp asap and they aren't interested in upkeep and care questions I assume they didn't know proper care or they went in over their heads and they want to get rid of the animal asap. Unfortunately in my area Herps are just another form of money.

I did find an old picture of my lovely three of the four originals.

-BrittsBugs
    6 AUS White's
    1 Hon Milk
    1 SM Corn
    1 BP
    5 HC
    1 CG
    4 RB Newts
    6 Betas
    5 MHR

BrittsBugs

Requested: lock

-BrittsBugs

Nationality
    [United States]

Again why are you requesting your threads be locked? We do not lock threads unless it is a sticky or if there is a violation within the thread that warrants a lock. If you would like to report a violation please PM me. If not than I see no reason to lock this thread.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Thread Information