Thread: Two males... Mating?

Frogger00

Default Two males... Mating?

Ok, so to put things simply I was doing a photoshop with my two frogs, when one climbed atop the other and wrapped his hands around the frogs neck. He proceeded to get a better grip by digging his froggy hands into the frogs wrinkles and pushing his head down onto him. When I tried to put them back in the cage, the one on top continually bit at my fingers. I managed to get the frogs(still connected) into the cage and into their water dish. After a few minutes they separated.

My questions are, why are they mating with each other if they are both male? Why was he getting protective of his ''mate' and biting at me? Why on earth did they decide to do this during a photoshoot?!

Btw, I got some wicked pictures of this whole experience. I have to get them loaded onto the computer and all, but will share in a day or two!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Two males... Mating?

Strange! You absolutely sure both are male? Both have thumb pads? Shouldn't have wrapped his arms around the others neck but gripped behind the other guys (girls) arms. Maybe there's some mating behavior, or male aggression behavior, don't know, but can't wait to see those pics!

Honey was acting weird tonight himself... runnin all over the tank and trying to find a way out. I hope he hasn't managed to escape by morning! The lid doesn't fit well, which sucks, but I have attempted to weight it down... :/ It was extremely warm today and their tank got up to around 85F, tonight it is still 77F and it's 65-70% humidity since I just cleaned and misted. The PCFs outside are calling like mad too, so I know he can hear them. Shirley doesn't care, all she wanted was to eat-- which she proceeded to eat every doggone cricket I put in there for the BOTH of them, since Honey just totally ignored them. Jelly Bean was nice and calm too, no craziness. Strange thing is that Honey acted like this once before, not too long before Shirley dumped that horrible bloody mess of white things If they are both capable of mating I wonder why the heck they won't give it a go?? I've seen Shirley try to get through the glass into Jelly Bean's tank, even when no crickets were over there. Honey doesn't try to do that... makes me wonder.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    Ok, so to put things simply I was doing a photoshop with my two frogs, when one climbed atop the other and wrapped his hands around the frogs neck. He proceeded to get a better grip by digging his froggy hands into the frogs wrinkles and pushing his head down onto him. When I tried to put them back in the cage, the one on top continually bit at my fingers. I managed to get the frogs(still connected) into the cage and into their water dish. After a few minutes they separated.

My questions are, why are they mating with each other if they are both male? Why was he getting protective of his ''mate' and biting at me? Why on earth did they decide to do this during a photoshoot?!

Btw, I got some wicked pictures of this whole experience. I have to get them loaded onto the computer and all, but will share in a day or two!

Tis' the season ! It can happen resulting from the lack of natural / selection. There's just a bit of confusion
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Tis' the season ! It can happen resulting from the lack of natural / selection. There's just a bit of confusion
    Exactly what I was going to say! Its coming into the season where most animals are now going to think about procreating, if he's that desperate and has no other option he may well attempt to get the other frog into amplexus. My whites have not done it to one another but they have been very restless recently. My male Firebelly is calling non stop and as soon as one of the others go past he jumps onto them, both the male and female.
    2.1.0 Oriental Firebelly Toads
    1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog
    4.2.0 Guinea Pigs
    1.1.0 Cats

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah lol Spring confusion, my nasutas do that all the time after a good spray.... Sorry kids, no girls available anywhere
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Strange! You absolutely sure both are male? Both have thumb pads? Shouldn't have wrapped his arms around the others neck but gripped behind the other guys (girls) arms. Maybe there's some mating behavior, or male aggression behavior, don't know, but can't wait to see those pics!

Honey was acting weird tonight himself... runnin all over the tank and trying to find a way out. I hope he hasn't managed to escape by morning! The lid doesn't fit well, which sucks, but I have attempted to weight it down... :/ It was extremely warm today and their tank got up to around 85F, tonight it is still 77F and it's 65-70% humidity since I just cleaned and misted. The PCFs outside are calling like mad too, so I know he can hear them. Shirley doesn't care, all she wanted was to eat-- which she proceeded to eat every doggone cricket I put in there for the BOTH of them, since Honey just totally ignored them. Jelly Bean was nice and calm too, no craziness. Strange thing is that Honey acted like this once before, not too long before Shirley dumped that horrible bloody mess of white things If they are both capable of mating I wonder why the heck they won't give it a go?? I've seen Shirley try to get through the glass into Jelly Bean's tank, even when no crickets were over there. Honey doesn't try to do that... makes me wonder.
    Well, I'm pretty sure they are both male. They both croak occasionally , but not as loud and constant as some of the recordings I've heard. He wrapped his hands in between the frogs ear and arm.

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Mushrooms View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say! Its coming into the season where most animals are now going to think about procreating, if he's that desperate and has no other option he may well attempt to get the other frog into amplexus. My whites have not done it to one another but they have been very restless recently. My male Firebelly is calling non stop and as soon as one of the others go past he jumps onto them, both the male and female.
    They have been extremely restless! They've both rubbed their noses and calling a bit more frequently.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They have been extremely restless! They've both rubbed their noses and calling a bit more frequently.

That's the part that worries me too. That darn Honey was constantly leaping up and hitting the screen lid on the tank, and I could hear him crawling all over and jumping on the plants until late. I went in and got video of all his shenanigans. Thought at first maybe he was hungry (he ate two medium crickets night before last though) but noooooooope. I just find it incredibly strange that he won't try amplexus with Shirley, unless it's because he's intimidated by her?? She's glombed him pretty good more than once while going after food.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Frogger00

That's the part that worries me too. That darn Honey was constantly leaping up and hitting the screen lid on the tank, and I could hear him crawling all over and jumping on the plants until late. I went in and got video of all his shenanigans. Thought at first maybe he was hungry (he ate two medium crickets night before last though) but noooooooope. I just find it incredibly strange that he won't try amplexus with Shirley, unless it's because he's intimidated by her?? She's glombed him pretty good more than once while going after food.
    I know! These frogs have no respect for their poor noses. Spike has a big gash by his eye, and bubba looks like he has a second set of nostrils. I am treating them with Neosporin, but it won't help any if they continue to rub!

Frogger00

As promised, I got some wicked pictures of this whole experience. So here you go, enjoy!

Just getting started. Here you can see Bubba climbing onto Spike.

Getting comfy.

If only you guys could have seen this- Bubba really pressed himself into Spike.

Look at those beautiful faces

I really like the way this pic turned out. I am extremely fascinated with their eyes!

This is by far my favorite picture. I sprayed a bit of water on them to really make them shine, and it looks as if they are sitting in a puddle

As gross/funny the whole thing was, it was truly amazing to be able to experience this act, whether they were attempting to mate or just getting real cozy.

I will post some more frog photos later, probably on a new thread. I'm pretty new to photography but I am loving these pictures. Such little posers them frogs are!

12. This member thanks Frogger00 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

New!? You are a natural! Would love to use a couple of these in the wee lil booky I'm writing on WTFS!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Lisa's right, you are a natural. You should enter one of these in Photo of the Month.

I once saw a documentary about amphibians and in one scene, woodhouse's toads were calling to mate, but there were no females around. So out of desperation the male toads started trying to mate with anything that moved, including each other. So I dont know if something similar is going on but just a thought.

I would love to read Lisa's book when it's done. I predict a best-seller!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Frogger00

New!? You are a natural! Would love to use a couple of these in the wee lil booky I'm writing on WTFS!
    Wow thank you! You most certainly can use them in your book!

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Lisa's right, you are a natural. You should enter one of these in Photo of the Month.

I once saw a documentary about amphibians and in one scene, woodhouse's toads were calling to mate, but there were no females around. So out of desperation the male toads started trying to mate with anything that moved, including each other. So I dont know if something similar is going on but just a thought.

Thanks again! I definitely will enter one in Photo Of The Month.

Yes I think there was some gender confusion lol it was just really strange timing! During a photoshoot? Haha!

I too am really interested in this book!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post

I think I saw that same video, it was crazy!

Thanks, Eli, lol! I can certainly hope so All FrogForum members will get a discount!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

18. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks again! I definitely will enter one in Photo Of The Month.

Yes I think there was some gender confusion lol it was just really strange timing! During a photoshoot? Haha!

I too am really interested in this book!

I was going to suggest POTM too!

Thanks, hehe! I have no idea when it will be done, since there is still so much to learn, but I'll definitely be posting about it on FF when it is

You can PM me any info you wish to have attributed to your photo, everyone who submits a pic keeps copyright to their own work
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

And the tiger salamanders were eating all the tads . This is what I do in my free time, read about frogs

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Poor taddys! Yeah, I hear you there. That seems to be my regular pass time lately as well... so much research and so little time! :P
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information