Thread: HELP!!! Tree frog, not eating or pooping and I think he may have thrown up?

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy HELP!!! Tree frog, not eating or pooping and I think he may have thrown up?

Hi. So, this is my second tree frog. I have had Rico for a little over 3 months and love him more than anything! A few days ago, I noticed he wasnt right...just a feeling, but he was off. He has not been eating or pooping and the other day was bloated up and now I just came home from running out and there was some gross blob next to where he is sleeping hi up in the corner of the tand with cricket parts. It doesnt look like his poop and is too high up from him to be poop so I am assuming he threw up since I wasnt here but he hasnt moved all day and has been sleeping and hasnt moved and it wasnt there when I left. Last night I cleaned the whole tank and put in the coconut fiber dirt (previously had other dirt I think for crabs and had some wood chips in it). The water I put in the other day was tap water (accidentally). I usually always put in filtered water. And there were some larger than normal crickets the last time I feed him. He isn't bloated now...maybe a little and he is acting normal otherwise. Very active when I take him out. Moving around, jumping, etc.

He is just not eating or pooping and he does both like clockwork every night. Oh, and the past two days when I turn off the day lights and switch to his night one he has not been waking up almost immediately like he always does. I waiting like an hour both nights and eventually took him out to see if he was ok and then he starts being normal. I put 3 crickets in the clean tank last night and no eating, no pooping. He did shed his skin the other day as well.

So all this said and all I have read, I am thinking it bacteria from the dirty take, the chlorine or something in the tap water the other day, a blockage from a wood chip (which he had no problems with before) or he's just really full, ate too much and is freaking me out for nothing!

Please help! I love this guy more than anything and dont want anything to happen to him. I am really scared to take him to a vet because thevet I took my last one too I think killed him...or at least contributed to it, so i dont want someone to hurt him.

So...thoughts...how long is too long not to eat or poop? Temps have been fine and humity is normal as always and I mist him all the time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP!!! Tree frog, not eating or pooping and I think he may have thrown up?

first we don't know what kind of tree frog it is,we need to know that. do you use Dechlorinated water? You need to. Chloramines in tap water can kill them. l think there is a questionnaire you should fill out to help us help you. Let me find it.

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

4. This member thanks ColleenT for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP!!! Tree frog, not eating or pooping and I think he may have thrown up?

Do you add de-chlorinator to the tap water? Filtered water might remove some needed minerals. I don't know.

As for the vomit, I've never heard of a frog doing that (though I am not an expert). Are you sure it's not weird looking poop? A picture would help.

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Here you go. All of this has been consistant since the day I brought him home. He is still active and appears happy and "normal" when I have him out. He is just not eating or pooping and appears to have thrown up today. Was bloated 3 days ago but now not.

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) White's Tree Frog, Dumpy
    2----please include a photo of the frog don't know how to do that?
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure see above
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" ) 10 gallon tank
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) just him
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate no
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined no
    8----what is the typical humidity level around 50-60% to up to 80% when I mist. I know it should be higher but I mist the tank constantly and it has been that way since I got him and never had an issue before, not sure how to get it to stay higher without misting.
    9----what temperature is maintained around 75-80 on average
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure day heat light, night heat light
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) UVB light during the day with a 50 watt heat lamp then a 50 watt blue night heat lamp
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc) The tank was dirty and needed a good cleaning and I did that last night. Change out everything
    13---what kind of water is used filtered tap water, although I accidentally used tap water the other day so I dont know if that made him sick
    -----for misting same as above (filter removes chlorine, minerals, etc.)
    -----for the frog's soaking dish same as above, although I accidentally used tap water the other day so I dont know if that made him sick
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand no
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific I was using the hermit crab dirt for higher humitity but I dont like the bigger pieces of coconut in it, so I switch it to the Eco Earth Coconut Fiber Substrate yesterday
    15---enclosure set up: 2 soaking dishes one larger, one smaller, a fake plane attached t othe glass, a tree limb with fake plant attached to the glass and few sticks going up high to climb on and a rock he loves to sit on, lighting described as above
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned scooped out all of the old dirt and poured new in, cleaning the glass with a damp cloth and dried, cleaned the water dishes out and replacesd with warm water filtered water last night...read that could help
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fedone plastic, one fabric. Plastic one has been in there since I got him over 3 months ago
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials wood sticks, coconut fiber
    16---when is the last time the frog ate 3 days ago. Although I think I saw him go after a cricket two days ago but just one. I know he definitely ate nothing last night...just looked at the crickets in front of him and nothing. That is not like him at all.
    19---what size feeder is given small crickets pin head to slightly larger, although the last batch had a few bigger ones so not sure if he ate one and had an issue, although he has before and never had an issue
    20---what other feeders are used as treats none
    21---what is the frog's main food source crickets dusted with calcium and crickets are given Flukers Orange Cubes
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed roam free
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often repti calcium dusted on crickets every night when he eats and Flukers Orange Cubes for crickets
    24---calcium - what brand and how often repti calcium dusted on crickets every night when he eats
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time no, although the last few times the crickets appeared not white as usual so the calcium may have come off when I misted the take
    26---approximate age of the frog go him 3 months ago and he was bigger than the babies so Iam guessing around 4-6 months old
    27---how long have you owned the frog 3 months, my second one
    28---who cared for the frog before you Petco
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) every day, no, hands always wahed
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area medium
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no) no. He lives alone
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: no
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

8. 50-60% is actually acceptable for White's. Temps look good.

13. I'm not sure what kind of filter you have, but some things that make water safe for human drinking don't necessarily make it safe for frogs. For instance bottled water isn't necessarily frog safe. We can tolerate higher levels of chlorine than they can. I suggest using a dechlorinator. But that's just a guess. Your filter might be okay.

28. I'm sorry. Considering that you've found something suspicious in his stool/vomit and that he comes from Petco it would be a good idea to look for an exotic vet in your area, or call some local vet and ask if they're willing to fecal test a frog. It will be a bit of an expense if you end up treating the frog, but with the weird thing you found that might be the best option.

Also can you describe the blob? Clear? Whitish? Reddish? Brown? Are you certain the frog is male?

Nationality
    [United States]

I just spoke to a guy at the pet store who is a frog expert and he said it is probably a combination of the tank being dirty and the tap water I accidentally used. The chlorine would definitely make him sick and throw up. As I said, I have been using the filter I have (which is supposed to take out chlorine) since I got him and never had an issue. I really think the tap water is the issue and made him sick. He said to give him a couple days and he should be back to normal eating.

I think I will get it just in case though. I never want to go through this again!

The blob with the cricket parts was white...it might have been some of his skin since he did shed the other day. I didnt save it. I threw it out. It was a small amount and smells bad...not like poop, but bad

Am I sure? Nope. No idea how to tell. I was told it is difficult. But all my pets are always male until proven otherwise for some reason.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad you could identify the thing at least.

[the reason I asked if it was male was because sometimes females pass eggs.]

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would take the pet store employee's advice with a grain of salt (or maybe a ten pound block of salt!). Unfortunately working at a pet store doesn't guarantee that he knows what he's doing. Most pet store employees have very little education about exotic animals. I haven't heard of frogs throwing up (it seems much more likely that it was an unusual bowel movement, eggs, and/or shed residue), so I'm a little uncertain of the pet store employee's explanation.

How often were you cleaning the tank and changing his water before this recent cleaning?

What kind of filter are you using for the tap water? Knowing the brand and/or model can help us look up if it is making your water frog safe, but I would still strongly recommend getting dechlorinator. You can get a bottle for just a couple do,Lars and it lasts a long time. Even if your filter is removing chlorine, is it removing chloramine?

I would also recommend either bringing him to an experienced frog vet or getting a fecal test for parasites. Fecal tests generally run about $20 or less in my experience and you don't even have to bring the frog into the clinic, just a recent stool sample.

Lastly, for his long term care are you planning to upgrade his tank size? 10 gallons works for a quarantine tank for a new juvenile, but an adult whites tree frog will need a larger tank in order to be happy and avoid health problems.

12. 2 members thank Crispy42 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy42 View Post
    I would take the pet store employee's advice with a grain of salt (or maybe a ten pound block of salt!). Unfortunately working at a pet store doesn't guarantee that he knows what he's doing. Most pet store employees have very little education about exotic animals. I haven't heard of frogs throwing up (it seems much more likely that it was an unusual bowel movement, eggs, and/or shed residue), so I'm a little uncertain of the pet store employee's explanation.

How often were you cleaning the tank and changing his water before this recent cleaning?

What kind of filter are you using for the tap water? Knowing the brand and/or model can help us look up if it is making your water frog safe, but I would still strongly recommend getting dechlorinator. You can get a bottle for just a couple do,Lars and it lasts a long time. Even if your filter is removing chlorine, is it removing chloramine?

I would also recommend either bringing him to an experienced frog vet or getting a fecal test for parasites. Fecal tests generally run about $20 or less in my experience and you don't even have to bring the frog into the clinic, just a recent stool sample.

Lastly, for his long term care are you planning to upgrade his tank size? 10 gallons works for a quarantine tank for a new juvenile, but an adult whites tree frog will need a larger tank in order to be happy and avoid health problems.
    Totally agree, Crispy42!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

14. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

He has frogs and has has frogs for like 20 years, that is why I trust him. He talks to me all the time about his frogs and I show him pics of mine and how big he is getting.

I am HAPPY to report that my little guy ate last night and is doing great. Still needs to poop but considering he just ate after 3 days I am sure he will.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for trying to help me! Everyone here is great and I love I have somewhere to go when I am freaking out...because I was freaking out!

For future I am taking all of your advice and getting a dechlorinator just in case. You can never be too careful. And I am going to upgrade him soon. He is only a few month old and when I got him he was the size of the width of two of my knuckles.

I am still going to keep an eye him and hope that he poops soon. But, I think he is good to go. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Oh...and FYI...if Rico is a girl...which is wierd...but if he is...wouldnt he pass eggs in poop? This was throw up so not sure if they throw up eggs or not? That could explain the white thing I guess? Maybe?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by JennBree View Post
    He has frogs and has has frogs for like 20 years, that is why I trust him. He talks to me all the time about his frogs and I show him pics of mine and how big he is getting.

I am HAPPY to report that my little guy ate last night and is doing great. Still needs to poop but considering he just ate after 3 days I am sure he will.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for trying to help me! Everyone here is great and I love I have somewhere to go when I am freaking out...because I was freaking out!

For future I am taking all of your advice and getting a dechlorinator just in case. You can never be too careful. And I am going to upgrade him soon. He is only a few month old and when I got him he was the size of the width of two of my knuckles.

I am still going to keep an eye him and hope that he poops soon. But, I think he is good to go. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Oh...and FYI...if Rico is a girl...which is wierd...but if he is...wouldnt he pass eggs in poop? This was throw up so not sure if they throw up eggs or not? That could explain the white thing I guess? Maybe?
    i'm afraid I missed this thread . Glad to hear your frog is doing better . As for the eggs. The frog will almost always reabsorb the eggs if they are not laid. Never heard of pooping or throwing up the eggs so it is unlikely that is what your frog threw up. On very rare occasions the frog may become eggbound. I have only heard of one such occasion in a frog.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mike Novy (very respected in the industry) has had females pass eggs before. I'm 99% sure that my WTF, Shirley, dumped eggs herself, but there was quite a bit of blood in with the white things, so that's an anomaly; she tested clear of coccidiosis or other parasites, though, so who the heck knows there. I'm thinking the slimy white stuff you mentioned was probably frog skin.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was thinking maybe you were mistaken about the vomiting and the frog passed the eggs (through the back end).

But since you identified cricket parts I think that theory is dead.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default HELP!!! Tree frog, not eating or pooping and I think he may have thrown up?

I'm glad your frog is coming around. Sorry I missed your post until now.

I'm glad you're getting some dechlorinator. Even if the filter filters out a percentage of chlorine and chloramines, it is likely that it's not 100%. Remember, there can also be heavy metals in tap water. Many dechlorinator solutions also detoxify or neutralize the heavy metals. If in question, best to use it. All three will eventually build up in the frogs system and kill him.

I have a feeling what you might be seeing is either vomit or diarrhea with undigested food and calcium. This could have been due to toxicity, too large of food, or perhaps too much calcium, or parasites. Yes, frogs can vomit.

They can also have prolapsed cloacas. Things we want to avoid. Too large of prey and parasites are the two most common causes of rectal (cloaca) prolapse.

If he has another ? vomit or diarrhea/foul or abnormal feces be sure to have a fecal test done for parasites and ova (parasite eggs). Many parasites can be treated if caught early.

Keep his food at a size of no larger than the width between his eyes. It's easy for him to swallow that way.

If the little guy hasn't soaked himself yet since, see if you can get him to soak in some nice dechlorinated 80'F water to dilute any absorbed chemicals. Hopefully you can get him to pee.

Calcium? If you feed daily, decrease the calcium dustings to every other night. Dust just before feeding.

If you're concerned about him accidentally ingesting his substrate, you may want to try bowl feeding.

I hope he or she continues to do well for you.

Welcome to the forum .

P.S. When he/she gets a bit older... Male frogs croak, will develop little brown pads on their thumbs, and are smaller than females.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

20. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Thread Information