Thread: Feeding my new frog

mel

Default Feeding my new frog

We acquired - and by acquired - I mean after weeks of looking for a new frog, we came home to find her sitting in front of our door - a new frog friend.

I am wondering if we are feeding her enough.

Our last frog was not a voracious eater. We'd drop a few crickets in every other day and he'd inhale one and then take his sweet time going after the other two - sometimes not eating them at all.

This new frog, however, eats crickets as quickly as we drop them in. In fact, one dropped on her head and she snagged it before it hit the moss. (My husband wasn't trying to be mean by dropping it on her head - she just moved in the way)

Should we stick to the every other day policy or should we feed her more?

Here's a picture for identification purposes:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool Re: Feeding my new frog

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    We acquired - and by acquired - I mean after weeks of looking for a new frog, we came home to find her sitting in front of our door - a new frog friend.

I am wondering if we are feeding her enough.

Our last frog was not a voracious eater. We'd drop a few crickets in every other day and he'd inhale one and then take his sweet time going after the other two - sometimes not eating them at all.

This new frog, however, eats crickets as quickly as we drop them in. In fact, one dropped on her head and she snagged it before it hit the moss. (My husband wasn't trying to be mean by dropping it on her head - she just moved in the way)

Here's a picture for identification purposes:
    I cant see what frog that is. But judging by the green color and shape. Id say its a type of treefrog? post a larger picture? Anywho, since its a wild caught animal, take it to the vet and do a fecal exam. Also get her checked for anything. Shes probably harboring parasites and diseases. Above all dont release her. For feeding, if its a small treefrog... Id say at most 3large crickets every other day. Sometimes leave 2 days in between. Dust 3crickets ONCE a week, with calcium powder with D3 and Vitamin powder.

Here are other foods you can try:
    Roaches
    Wax worms(but their high in fat)
    Goliath worms(high calcium)
    Silk worms(high calcium)
    Earthworms(high protein)
    Pheonix worms(high calcium and protein)

Grasshoppers
    Locusts
    Slugs
    Snails
    Moths

DO not feed:
    Butterflies(possible toxiciticy), fire flies(def. toxic), meal/super/mega worms(they clog up their system, like gum)

Good luck with your frog and welcome to the forum.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding my new frog

It's a Pacific Chorus Frog, Pseudacris regilla. They are a small type of tree frog.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

mel

I figured she's a Pacific Chorus Tree Frog since that's what is prevalent in our area. Ironically, we've been to every pet store in our metropolitan area looking for a Pacific Chorus to no avail. All the driving we've done and then we came home to find her on our front porch.

I've actually felt really conflicted about taking her into our home since it doesn't really feel right to me to take a creature out of its natural element.

Deku - why not release her? I'm just curious as to why since I'm a novice.

We keep our crickets dusted and feed the carrots so I'm not worried about the quality of food. Mostly, I was just worried about not feeding her enough.

Gotta say, I'm definitely missing Tripod, our boy frog - because our new girl doesn't make a single sound.

Jace

These little frogs can eat quite a bit and gain quite the little Buddha belly after their feedings! PCF look so cute with their chubby bellies and it shows that you have a healthy frog. Being WC, she might not have been able to find such plentiful food on a regular basis and is taking full advantage! My male PCF, Yoki, will eat quite a few crickets at each feeding, but he lets me know when he has enough; yours will too. Do you plan on keeping the little one or letting it go? She is definitely a beauty!!

mel

Hi Jo-Anna!

She is really lovely, my new girl. She's much greener than my previous frog and more lively, too. I guess I'm just feeling ethically challenged at the moment about keeping her. PCFs are plentiful in my area and she does seem on the slender side, especially compared to my previous frog. I just don't know yet if I'm doing the right thing by keeping her of if I am just being selfish... :/

Jace

While I try my best to get captive bred whenever and wherever possible, PCF seem to be quite plentiful and are not considered endangered, threatened or anything (at least as far as I know), so I don't honestly think there is much harm if you kept this little one. Besides, we all know you will spoil her rotten, and who doesn't want that for any and all frogs we come across? It sounds like you are already quite taken with her, and I think she would be a very lucky frog to have you take care of her. Accept her, guilt free!! So, the main question is....what is her new name?? Don't tell me you haven't been thinking about one....

mel

It took my husband and daughter all of about three minutes to come to the conclusion that she should be named Midori.

All our pets seem to end up with some sort of variation on a Japanese name - probably because my daughter is so into Anime. Our cats are named Muromi, Pucci Kuma, and Nekai. So go figure that the name would end up being the Japanese word for "green." Tripod was the only non-Asian named pet - although I bet if they could have figured out the Japanese word for three-legged, that would have been it.

Jace

Great name choice!! I like Japanese and African names myself. So, now that she has a name I guess that makes it official, eh? Congrats on your new addition and I hope to hear updates on how Midori is doing!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Sounds fine to me.

The reason for not releasing her back into the wild is to prevent the possible spread of foreign pathogens. However, if the frog has not been exposed to exotic animals and/or plants then reliasing it would be ok. By exotics, I mean anything that is not a domesticated animal or native plant/animal.

Thread Information