Thread: Pacman Frog Doesn't Seem To Eat

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman Frog Doesn't Seem To Eat

Hey there again!

So I've been a bit curious as to the habits of pacman frogs. I'm newer to pacman frogs but I'm a fast learner. Since I got him between 3-4 days ago,0 I've already aquired the perfect habitat for him, everything from 80 degrees air temperature to 75% humidity all the way to the coconut soil. But one thing that seems to bother me is that he is just refusing to eat. There's nothing that I've seemed to over look. He's got a dim red heat light in the day along with a heat pad on the side of the tank, and a dark black heat bulb for night, which gives 80 degree air temp at day, and 72 degree air temp at night after unplugging the heat pad for the night. He's got 75% humidity during the day, which drops to 60% at night since I can't exactly spray water while I snooze. He's got a shallow water dish and damp coconut soil. I spoiled him with two large bushy fake plants and a hollowed log to hide in. He's even getting 6-7 gut loaded crickets a day! But he just seems to not eat, not move from his burrow in the back left corner of the tank....ever since I bought him. He isnt in estivation cuz his skin is his normal soft skin. No hardened or stiff skin and no cloudy eyes or body. Normal colors and normal reactions to my hand. He just hides 24/7 and doesn't eat.

Am I missing some crucial component that will alter his loss of apatiette? Or his extreme timidness? I know they hide ALOT and are lazy, but he just never comes out to eat which worries me. They are ambush predators but not once have I seen him ambush the crickets in his tank, not even the ones that crawl over his eyeballs!

He is only between 3-4 days in his new home but my anole and green tree frog adjusted on the first day and ate full meals no problem. I wouldn't think this frog would be much different considering their voracious apetitte.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pacman Frog Doesn't Seem To Eat

Keep his heat pad on at night. Better to keep him warm than too cold. Young pacs should not drop less than 78'F. This will help keep his metabolism going. Cold will encourage sleep and decreased appetite.

He is also still adjusting to his new home. It can be scary for them. Keep his area nice and calm/quiet. You can try covering the back and two sides of his home with nature colored paper. This helps them to feel secure.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pacman Frog Doesn't Seem To Eat

Hi, the 10 gallon tank may feel to big for him and that's why he doesn't want to move. Some do ok in the 10 as a baby and others its just to much. Can you post a picture on photobucket or something so we can see how you have the enclosure setup? When you say he just sits there is he burying himself and not comeing up at night or is he literally just sitting there on top of the substrate? I have noticed from your threads that you have had to buy some new stuff and change some things up so he may just be having a harder time settling in because you are around the tank checking on him and correcting things. You may just need to give him some space. And im not saying this in a bad way so please don't take it that way but this one of the reasons people say to always do some homework and get the enclosure to perfect conditions before you bring your new frog home. And again please don't take that the wrong way because I know some petstores and stuff tell you the absolute worst info on care and then we are stuck trying to fix things for days afterwards to make our froggies feel better. But if you could get a picture of him and the enclosure that would help a lot.

Nationality
    [Canada]

And I just noticed you said you got your frog from petsmrt and it was there for about 2 months so if you can get a picture of the little guy to that would be great. I ask this because I know they don't keep them in the best conditions and in that amount of time your frog could have came down with something and his not eating and moveing could be something totally unrelated to housing. And to answer your question about habits this how my pacmans frog Groots day goes. During the day he is kept at 83f on the warm side, 80f in the middle and its 78 on the cool side humidity is 75-80%. He will bury himself totally during the day and he is left alone until about 5 when I go down to mist. At lights out I dim my big UTH and the temps are 80F on the warm, 78 in the middle and 75 on the cold. I go back down at 10 to feed and he is sitting waiting for dinner, after feeding I do another quick mist and I don't see him again till I turn the light on in the morning and that's not for to long because he goes and buries himself under his plant. Andbeing kept like this he has eaten almost everynite since I got him as a baby 3 months ago and poops one big poo a week.There has only been maybe 3 nights he didn't eat and that's because he didn't surface, but he always came up the next night. And he gets 12 hrs f day and night, I do 9 to 9.

Nationality
    [United States]

Rhubarb (my frog) seems to sit buried completely underneath the soil all day and night. I can't tell if he's eating, he doesn't appear to cuz he never moves from that spot. He doesn't even surface his eyes to scout out prey, he just stays 100% hidden. He isn't in estivation cuz the tank is 80 degrees with 75% humidity. Idk if he is scared since he's so used to his old tank at the pet store, or if he's secretly eating and making me look stupid lolol. But to me it seems like he just won't surface to eat. When do they eat in the wild? How nocturnal are they? What time at night do they eat? Is the environment just strange to him and he's scared and just adjusting? I can't figure it out. If I could see him eat once I wouldn't be nervous, but he just doesn't eat from what I see. I'll add a certian number of crickets tonight and see what's left tomoro...

Nationality
    [United States]

And also, I'd upload an image but the darn thing says invalid image...uploading pics doesn't work.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey guys, would you please keep one person per thread asking please, otherwise it's hard to see who is asking what and in relation to what.
    I'll split it right now, hope I'll get it right
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
    And also, I'd upload an image but the darn thing says invalid image...uploading pics doesn't work.
    Tech. team is working on that, would you please use photobucket or similar. Thanks
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have always fed at night because I believe that's when they eat in the wild. I turn my lights out 9, wait 1/2 hour to an hour after that then I feed him. Maybe try just unburying his head and present the food to him with tongs and see if he takes it. If you get his whole mouth unburied try to rub the food against the bottom of his lip if he doesn't seem interested, sometimes this gets them to bite and once they get abit in they usually will eat more after.

Nationality
    [United States]

I feel like if I unbury him from hiding it'll freak him out more than he already is (I'm only assuming he's hiding cuz he's scared of his new environment). But maybe could it be that he can't tell what time of day it is? Idk if that's really the answer but he does get 12 hrs of daylight, both from a window across the room plus a red nightlight heat bulb that gives off a decent amount of dull light, and 12 hrs of dark from a black light bulb I plug in at nighttime to heat the tank and to provide the absolute minimal light but still produce heat for him to be warm at night. The black light I use just sorta as moonlight for nocturnal viewing to see if he's eating and to help him hunt at night. Mostly for heat though. Is this a good light set up? As far as I know, he can't see black light, and only sees a little light from the red.
    Last edited by DaveyJones; March 24th, 2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Nationality
    [United States]

If he doesn't eat in the next several days and remains in that same spot and refuses to move I'm just gunna have to assume he's sick or there's some form of medical issue wrong with him and take him back to the pet store. I have the environment 100% to his liking, there's nothing wrong with my set up, the temp, the humidity, the lights, nothing. He just won't eat and it's frustrating cuz I don't feel like spending a lot of money on an animal that acts the complete opposite from how it should if it were healthy and happy. I'd rather not have a dead frog for no reason in a week or two.

Cilicic

In my opinion try tu put just like 2 centimeters of substrate the he wont be able to burrow so deep, maybe he'l start eating... Just my opinion.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll try that

Nationality
    [Canada]

How long since he ate last? Substrate of 1" might work if everything else is correct, however you need to leave a guy alone without doing anything to his tank.

pics are need to evaluate the frog and his enclosure! 72 at night is way too low.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I 100% agree that I think a big part is you need to stop tinkering with his enclosure and give him some space as Lija has said. I know its hard when you feel something isn't right but sometimes our worries are for nothing and we are just stressing them out.

Nationality
    [United States]

So I think I found the biggest problem as to why he was unhappy and always hiding. His terrarium substrate, i.e. his coconut soil, was way too wet. I could squeeze it and way too much water could come out. I emptied the tank, wrung out his soil in a plastic bag, added some dry soil to the damp soil to make an inbetween, and added an inch of it to the tank. I relocated his water dish underneath all the fake plants, and arranged one of the fake plants to cover the whole back corner. I reintroduced him, and threw in crickets, and right away he started to eat. After he sat in his water dish under the shade of the fake leaves, and then happily moved to the back corner and dug a hole under the other fake plant, I can see some of his upper body and eyes sticking out of the soil. He seems much more content now. Average temp on the tank is 85 in the day and 76-79 at night. Right now it's 8:48pm and the temp is 80 but it'll drop a few and stay at 76-79. I'm watching him now, he's out on the hunt lol. He seems much more content without such swampy soil.
    Last edited by DaveyJones; March 25th, 2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Nationality
    [Canada]

This is awesome! Congrats!

Cilicic

Guys, thank's for help. My frogs started eating from tong, when I rub a snout a little bit. The problem with baby albino was that he was in sheeding process. But again HUGE THANKS :*

Thread Information